At what height would you mount a flat screen?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
Got a new 61" flat screen to mount today (90lbs.) This is going in a theatre room that is the size of a medium bedroom. Not huge, it'll be big enough for one sectional couch with ample space in front and behind.

Just curious what you think a good height is? I know that too high and people are looking up, too low and it'll be blocked or my toddler will reach up and fingerprint it.

Yes...I can figure it out on my own, was just curious if there is a rule of thumb for mounting these big boys!

Thanks,

-todd

Normally, eye level should be twice as far from the top as it is from the bottom of the screen.
Whether this level is when you sit on a couch, walk by or anything in between is for you to decide.

Diogen.

My sister-in-law mounted her new 55" flat panel above the fireplace. The bottom of the TV is about 5' above floor level.

This seems to be a popular mounting location but I get a pain in my neck when watching for an extended period from a distance of about 20'.

I prefer to have the middle of the screen at my seated eye level.

Usually the center of the screen should be at eye level. To me, that's too low.
I mounted a 37" in my 4 season room with the bottom of the tv at eye level when seated. I have a tilt mount, so I angled it a bit downward and it's perfect.

Normally, eye level should be twice as far from the top as it is from the bottom of the screen.
Whether this level is when you sit on a couch, walk by or anything in between is for you to decide.

Diogen.

So, you're saying make eye level, 1/3 up from the bottom?

So, you're saying make eye level, 1/3 up from the bottom?
Yes.
That's the standard when talking about projected 90"+ image on the screen.

There is a difference:
Front projector system usually means something like a cinema, you don't do anything but watch the image.
With a TV, when you can leave the lights on and do other things around having the TV image more like a background, the eye level is a variable...

Diogen.

You do not want it too high. My sister has over the fireplace at like 5' off the ground. Way too high to sit and watch. It is great though if you are standing up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)