AT9 Dish - your experience(s) so far?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
according to the slimline training video it is about 3lbs lighter and gives a smaller "APERANCE" i think i remember them saying that it is a little wider and not as tall. the nice part is that there is only one lnb assembly similar to an oval3

runvs said:
according to the slimline training video it is about 3lbs lighter and gives a smaller "APERANCE" i think i remember them saying that it is a little wider and not as tall. the nice part is that there is only one lnb assembly similar to an oval3

Are you an installer?

I would assume if there is a training video out for the Slimline dish, then its only a short matter of time until it is released? However 3 lbs. lighter isn't all the big a deal when compared to the AT9. I do like the one lnb assembly though.

Any word on the release date?

My AT-9 install is a horror story. :mad: I'm in Chicago Burbs (Plainfield) and the first installer I had was a moron. He mounted the dish to my lower garage roof and didn't use the support mounts. I asked him about them and he said they're not needed. Well, 3 days after the install we had a really windy day and I returned home from work to find my dish dangling in the wind, roof shingles attached, hanging by the coax as it repeatedly smashed into the side of my 2 month old new home. Next installer comes out a week later to re-install and I told him that the first moron didn't use the supports and it got blown off. He remounts, with the supports, and everything seems fine until I go to watch Sportscenter in high def only to find that I have no high def. channels except for locals. Call to schedule another tech to come out to re-align dish and told I have to wait another week. While I'm waiting for the next appointment, we have a moderatley windy day and low and behold, I have no signal whatsoever and this is on the Saturday of the NCAA final four. It turns out that the wind rotated the dish just enough to lose everything. I go out on my roof and realign the thing myself to at least get my locals. I also inserted a couple of sheet metal screws where the support brackets wrap around the support pole. This actually helped alot.

Fast forward to the next week and moron #2 is back again. He spends about half an hour re-aliging the dish and proclaims that I'm good to go. As he's filling out the paperwork I flip to espn-hd to double check and what do I find but a lot of pixelation on a perfectly sunny day. So in my best smart a** fed up voice I ask him "So this is good to go?" :confused: He gets a confused look on his face and disappears to my roof again. Turns out he actually aligned the dish correctly but I had a bad receiver. Called to get a replacement reciever, hooked it up yesterday and finally, everything is working. It actually even fixed my HDMI problem that I was having.

My advice:
1. If you can, do a pole mount with cement in the ground. I plan on moving mine off the roof once I have some grass at the new house.
2. I f you mount it using the support brackets, throw a couple of screws into the collars that wrap around the pole. Without these the wind tends to rock the entire assembly back and forth about an inch or 2.
3. Test every satellite before your installer leaves. :)

Mine's been up since Feb. On my roof. The day after the installation, we got 26 inches of snow; never lost signal. When there's heavy rain nearby, I don't lose signal.

I'm having a much better experience with the AT-9 than I had with the Phase-III.

themase said:
...My advice...If you can, do a pole mount with cement in the ground. I plan on moving mine off the roof once I have some grass at the new house.

My original plan was to do a pole mount, but I've changed my mind. As mentioned, the dish is currently on the garage roof, about 30-40 feet back behind the house with the coax air-run back to the house. If I were to trench from a pole back to the house, it would have to be in the garden area and then along the fenceline. Tree roots, garden issues, etc. are making me lean toward keeping it back up on the garage roof. I have a great line of sight up there, and the coax is already in place, lenghtwise, so it would be a matter of unhooking the Phase III, putting on the new roof and putting up the AT9 with the existing coax.

jpn said:
Mine's been up since Feb. On my roof. The day after the installation, we got 26 inches of snow; never lost signal. When there's heavy rain nearby, I don't lose signal.

I'm having a much better experience with the AT-9 than I had with the Phase-III.

Good to hear. The Phase III has been a snow-catcher. I was on the ladder using my homeade pole/broom contraption at least 3 times over the winter cleaning off the dish. It nearly drove me to cable. I don't like being on a cold, slippery ladder brushing off the dish.

The AT9 isn't a snow catcher?

Proc said:
The AT9 isn't a snow catcher?
A "tip" the tech gave me when he was doing our install was that you can coat the dish with something like Pam cooking spray or Rain-X,etc...He stated that it would not hurt the dish and it would repel rain and snow.He also told me that he uses it on his D* dish.I haven't tried this "tip",but thought I would share it with you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts