Atlanta Area Voomer

Negreenfield,
What did they upgrade your ant. up to? I am getting ready to make another service call to appeal for an upgrade.

Mike

mkwillia said:
Negreenfield,
What did they upgrade your ant. up to? I am getting ready to make another service call to appeal for an upgrade.

Mike
oops! I've been meaning to get that info on here. I'll get it tonight to make sure I don't post the wrong one, it's on the receipt they gave me.

All it says in Comments box is:

"Upgrade to 7210 w/ 8790 ?P Amp"

I know I had a Winegard before, just not sure which model. I wish I could be more informative and knowledgable about it, all I know is it works now. This one is huge, looks like the old school antennas, but with the amount of trees in my back and side yard, you can barely see it.

Is everyone getting the PBS station? I just rescanned for locals but I am not getting it. If I check for signal strength on RF channel 21, I get a 95, so it seems like something should be there.

scottabs said:
Is everyone getting the PBS station? I just rescanned for locals but I am not getting it. If I check for signal strength on RF channel 21, I get a 95, so it seems like something should be there.

I'm in Lawrenceville and did an OTA scan this weekend and still no PBS. I took a look at GPTV 8 and WPBA 30 and neither have anything on their websites about going digital. www.gpb.org has nothing about digital either.

I am looking into VOOM. I live in Morningside area. I used to have DirectTV, but because of trees I could not get signal. So had to move to Comcast. Anyway, anyone had any experience with VOOM in the Va. Highland/Morningside area?

Called and got an upgrade to my OTA ant.. Thursday is my scheduled install. I will post the results.

I receive WPBA in Chamblee, along with WSB, WATL, WGCL, WUVG, WTBS, and WAGA. No WXIA (vhf), though, although it does come in on my Dish 6000 via a radioshack antenna. Any experience with voom providing antenna upgrade for local vhf channel?
Papatom

"anyone had any experience with VOOM in the Va. Highland/Morningside area?"

I'm over in Inman park, (not too far) and I get Voom with about 15 OTA channels.

Hey folks.

I am now vooming OTA, Alpharetta, GA.
I am using an indoor antenna, Philips PHDTV3 silver sensor amplified indoor Antenna purchased from local Walmart.
According to AntennaWeb, the vast majority of HDTV broadcast from 195 ~199. With antenna pointed one way, I can get 11.1 NBC, 5.1 FOX, 43.1 UPN, 2.1 ABC. If I rearrange my antenna I can get 17.1 TBS, 36.1 WB, and 46.1 CBS. I wish there is a way to combine two atennas so that I don't have to keep repositioning. HDTV is awesome..

Now I see why VOOM receiver made by Motorola is very popular among users.
The receiver response quick to remote commands.. So far I can't complaint. Works very nicely. Can't wait to see Monday Night Football tonight on ABC. Let's play some Football.

Just checking in to see what other ATLers are getting with their VOOM setups? I'm using the Zenith ZHDTV1 non-amplified antenna (UHF only).

I'm getting the following channels:

Call | Network | Channel | RF | Signal | Compass Direction

WSB-TV ABC 2.1 39 88 190
WAGA FOX 5.1 27 97 45
WAGA FOX 5.2 27 97 45
WXIA-DT NBC 11.1 10 95/96 190/45
WXIA-SD NBC 11.2 10 95/96 190/45
WTBS IND 17.1 20 96 45
WUVG-TV Uni 34.1 48 95/93 190/45
WATL WB 36.1 25 95 190
WGCL CBS 46.1 19 94 190
WHSG TBN 63.1 44 96 45
Church 63.2 97 45
JCTV 63.3 97 45
Enlace 63.4 97 45
WUPA UPN 69.1 43 94 190/45

No luck with the following:
WPXA PAX 14.1 51
WPBA PBS 30.1 21
WATC Educational 57.1 41

Pretty happy, anyhow. 14 channels total (9 HDTV), 7 of which I'd actually watch. Decent investment for $90 (Antenna + Receiver).

I replaced the antenna with TERK HDTV indoor antenna.
I get the following

WSB-TV ABC 2.1
WAGA FOX 5.1
WXIA-DT NBC 11.1
WTBS IND 17.1
WUVG-TV Uni 34.1
WATL WB 36.1
WGCL CBS 46.1
WHSG TBN 63.1
Church 63.2
JCTV 63.3
Enlace 63.4
WUPA UPN 69.1
WPBA PBS 30.1 21

However, I have to adjust/move antenna to view all the channels. Kinda of annoying. I wish I don't have to keep moving it.

I never tried Zenith ZHDTV1, but would like to give a try.. I can't find it locally in Atlanta. That way if it doesn't work out I can return it. Can I borrow yours?

Going through my old posts and found this, Satellite History! Members here made history, subscribing to the first primaryly HD satellite company to exist. Later, I had some of the Voom channels on Dish when they added them after Voom ceased to exist.

Drinking a toast to fellow HD Satellite Pioneers on Satellite Guys! What a long, crazy ride its been over the past decade!

Unfortunately, HD went mainstream and DISH overpaid for the VOOM service and VOOM could not keep-up with the likes the major Broadcast and Cable Network. So Dish broker their contract with Voom and later paid the price for their contract violation. Still...it probably save Dish a half-billion or more dollars in the process and Voom probably wouldn't have gained a significant number of customers...unless shows like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad were specifically produced for the Voom channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)