Atlanta Area Voomer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does anyone know if the ESPNHD football game on Thursday night between Atlanta and Baltimore will be blocked out on ESPN due to WGCL carrying it locally in Atlanta?

It will be broadcast on ESPN and not on WGCL, at least according to the radio announcement on 92.9 this afternoon.

Frazier said:
It will be broadcast on ESPN and not on WGCL, at least according to the radio announcement on 92.9 this afternoon.

Good. Last week ESPN had an HD feed of the Falcons and 46 an SD feed.

I am having Voom installed on Monday the 23rd. Install's inc. is doing it and they are telling me Ray will be my installer. Has anyone out there had Ray install for them? Everyone keeps talking about this Chris guy. Do you think I should ask them for him?

Has anyone around the Mall of Georgia gotten Voom and could tell me if they get great reception or not? Just wondering.

skaggs10 said:
I am having Voom installed on Monday the 23rd. Install's inc. is doing it and they are telling me Ray will be my installer. Has anyone out there had Ray install for them? Everyone keeps talking about this Chris guy. Do you think I should ask them for him?

Has anyone around the Mall of Georgia gotten Voom and could tell me if they get great reception or not? Just wondering.

Here is a good link to find out about reception in the atlanta area. If you scroll down, you can hopefully find your zip code. Click it to find others in your area.

Jerry

Is anyone else in Atlanta seeing 5-2 Fox? I have a signal strength of 96 and it does not come through. My 5-1 which is the sd version of 5-2 is coming through fine. Any input is appreciated.

I haven't seen it in a while. But I was breifly scanning the Atlanta HDTV forum (Yahoo) and there was a post titled that Fox was "fixed" but I didn't read it. What I have found in past is that once a channel goes blank for a while, I have to rescan it for it to show back up. Even if you have a strong signal reading.

Mike

I had Voom installed today and am relatively pleased with the satellite reception but am confused by the OTA. I have had an indoor HDTV antenna that picks up channels 5, 17, and 36 flawlessly but struggles with all the others. The Voom installer installed a funky antenna (about 4' long that juts out from the neck holding the dish). It picks up channels 2, 17, and 69 flawlessly, struggles on channels 5, 11, and 46, and does not pick up channel 36 at all. How could a cheap indoor antenna get 36 perfect but a high-power outdoor antenna not get it at all (no trees, etc.). I am in Loganville-East Gwinnett about 20 miles from all the antennas.

BTW, when the installer installed the OTA I saw a signal strength of about 93. But, how are you able to get signal strengths for individual stations after the installation is completed? I tried help and info on the remote but they don't show signal strength. Please advise.

jlrhoya... welcome to the forum...

jlrhoya said:
I had Voom installed today and am relatively pleased with the satellite reception but am confused by the OTA. I have had an indoor HDTV antenna that picks up channels 5, 17, and 36 flawlessly but struggles with all the others. The Voom installer installed a funky antenna (about 4' long that juts out from the neck holding the dish). It picks up channels 2, 17, and 69 flawlessly, struggles on channels 5, 11, and 46, and does not pick up channel 36 at all. How could a cheap indoor antenna get 36 perfect but a high-power outdoor antenna not get it at all (no trees, etc.). I am in Loganville-East Gwinnett about 20 miles from all the antennas.

BTW, when the installer installed the OTA I saw a signal strength of about 93. But, how are you able to get signal strengths for individual stations after the installation is completed? I tried help and info on the remote but they don't show signal strength. Please advise.
jlrhoya, the quick way is by using your remote, press "help", "info", then "enter" and then page down a couple of pages... note you would have to do this on each individual channel...
the other way is on your remote, press voom, press the green button, go to system settings, press enter and go to system status and page down a couple of pages... you would also need to do this on each individual channel...
also, you can press installer menu instead of system status, press installation wizard and from the installation steps you can choose several options, such as aim off-air antenna or scan local channels...
hope this helps...
about the antenna the installer installed, it sounds like a directional antenna, because of the different locations the Atlanta stations are in you may have to get a rotor for it or get a 4 or 8 bay uhf multidirectional antenna, which I've heard work well in the Atlanta area... I live west of Macon and the locals here are all located together, so I have no problem with the voom antenna that was installed... I also have an old deep fringe area type antenna with channelmaster amplifier and a rotor that picks up all the Atlanta stations with no problem... I don't have the old antenna hooked to the voom stb, cause my tv has a built in integrated tuner, but I'm sure it would work if I hooked it up... if they ever get the program guide to work with scanned channels, I'll probably hook the old antenna up...

Hopefully someone checks this every once in a while.

Anyone in Atlanta having trouble with OTA locals and audio dropouts, video dropouts, etc? I had zero problems for the first few months but the last 3 weeks or so have been bad. Don't know if Frances, Ivan, whomever knocked my antenna off or something, but my Off air signal quality is always in the mid to high 90's, though off-air power is in the 70's sometimes 60's.

It's very inconsistent but a part of me thinks it's the local stations. This is mainly on CBS and FOX. I don't see it too much on the others. Just wondering if it's only my antenna or if it's the local stations themselves...

Local/OTA Channel Reception

I recently had Voom installed in the Emory area of Atlanta. Generally, I'm happy with it. It's a huge improvement over Comcast, but I've been having trouble getting several of the local channels. CBS and TBS don't come in at all, but the rest seem to be fine. I'm only 5.2 miles from the furthest broadcast tower and all of them are located between 208 and 279 degrees, so there doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent reception of these stations.

Has anyone else experienced problems getting these channels? Maybe I just had a bad OTA antenna installation.

Anyone in Atlanta having trouble with OTA locals and audio dropouts, video dropouts, etc?

Yes, I have noticed this also on CBS & Fox and maybe others. I've been tempted to hook up my old Samsung OTA box to see if it has the same issue, but I haven't bothered to do it yet.

Scott

scottabs said:
Yes, I have noticed this also on CBS & Fox and maybe others. I've been tempted to hook up my old Samsung OTA box to see if it has the same issue, but I haven't bothered to do it yet.

Scott
Last night I watched Scrubs on NBC and it's doing it too. I checked all my signal levels and they were fine. I don't get it. On Scrubs it's once every few minutes with a very short dropout but enough to miss one word. It's starting to really piss me off. WB and ABC seem fine.

I am having the same problem. I am inside the perimeter and not far from the towers. I don't understand why I am having problem with OTA. I had an installer come out and move my OTA and my reception got better for a day but then I started losing more channels.

I have the stealth ant. Maybe I can get them to upgrade me something else.

mkwillia said:
I am having the same problem. I am inside the perimeter and not far from the towers. I don't understand why I am having problem with OTA. I had an installer come out and move my OTA and my reception got better for a day but then I started losing more channels.

I have the stealth ant. Maybe I can get them to upgrade me something else.
It's good to know there are others seeing this, maybe it's the Atlanta stations' issues, once again Scrubs last night had dropouts every few minutes. The other night I was watching North Shore on Fox and it wasn't even watchable. My signals again were great, I don't know what to do. Fox and NBC seem to be the problem channels, WB and ABC seem great. Fox is the worst, NBC next, and CBS just every once in a while. TBS seems fine as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts