Atlanta Area Voomer

Sean, I need to search for the thread on here where someone stated the exact address but I think it was a Comcast link, but I believe all home games on TBS are in HD for the Braves now OTA. I'll see if I can find something on TBS' website.

edit: here's the comcast link, it's the lower portion where it says TBS games in red, it's the only thing i could find unfortunately, it should coincide with OTA HD and it did last night but I'll keep checking each TBS home game to see. I can't find any info on TBS' site about HD...

http://www.comcasthdtv.com/BravesHDTVSchedule.htm

Doh!! Never mind, just went to the programming area, you're way ahead of me LOL!

I am scheduling VOOM installation for next Friday (7/23/04), but the threads talking about OTA channels not coming in make me wonder. I live just off North Peachtree Road 2 miles north of I-285. According to Antennaweb.org, all the digital channels are about 11 to 15 miles from me between 190 and 210 degrees. There is like everwhere in Atlanta a stand of pine trees all across the SSW direction from my place for then next several miles. I live reasonably close to the major ridge where Mount Vernon Highway travels E-W just north of me but it is not enough to overcome 100 foot trees. I hope that signal degradation will not be too bad.

Anyone have VOOM in the area? If so, how do the OTA channels come in for you? What antenna did they give you (mine will be a Winegard antenna)? Rotor worth the expense for the other channels at 140 and 310 degrees from me? Does an amp do any good? Re the cabling, it is better to get the two individual cable lines for satellite signal and for OTA signal or does the diplexer work okay (if I understand the installation options properly)?

If VOOM OTA doesn't work out, then I guess COMCAST is the only option. I tried for 4 months to get COMCAST to consider me for their HD package and they are a real piece of work. Took 4 months for them to find out that I existed, my street is really in Atlanta, and people at the head end of my street already had a COMCAST connection. After that, no thanks (if I can avoid it).

PBS maybe in August

WPBA-DT is possibly be going to be up in August. That is what I read on Atlanta HD forum on Yahoo. Don't know what channel or even where the tower will be. Hopefully in the downtown cluster since I have the Stealth directional. Plus, don't know how or if Voom will add it to the STB listings.

I am on Holcomb Bridge at Spalding (not far from you daleR). I pick up all the majors: ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox. An amplifier does work and may be needed for CBS/ABC. I am using a Channel Master located in my attic that seems to work.

You should be in good shape to pick up OTA and with a good amp probably won't have any problems. The trees will cause more problems with the Voom signal than with the OTA signal. If you do have problems with Winegard you can get them to upgrade the antenna.

Let us know how it goes.

Is anyone in the Atlanta area notice the 11-1 WXIA is broadcasting a weather radar instead of regularly scheduled program. I noticed this last night and today. Is anyone else having this problem?

Jason

11-1

What the heck NBC 11-1, for easily a week has been screwed up , very frustrating . I've been trying to convince the wife that VOOM is the way to go , but NBC , FOX, and CBS are all coming in bad , and I'm on my 2nd OTA antenna , with a repair call in for 7-26 . I'm keeping my fingers crossed .

All the stations seem to be doing something I am getting weather maps on 11-1 and 2-02 that is a channel I have not see yet the 2-02 I even lost fox and Now I get 4 other channels I didn't ever get 63-1 - 63-4 but this is going on through all 3 of my OTA receiver's. By the way I did my own insulation on my OTA antenna 1 1/2 ago just in case you might ask what antenna I got from voom , I didn't . I have a Channel master 4228 with amp 7777

From what I am reading on the Yahoo Atlanta HD group, WXIA 11.2 is SD and showing the radar map. For some reason, Voom is showing 11.2, not 11.1. I called Voom about it early this morning, not holding my breath for it to be fixed anytime soon.

Another Happy VOOM Customer

I was installed today by the infamous Chris, sub-contractor for Installs, Inc. The installation was flawless and the service is great. Chris is a real pro. I already had a ChannelMaster 4223 with a Titan 7777 preamp so there was no need for another antenna.

I have a Sanyo Z2 front projector and a Phillips 32" Direct View and the picture is awesome on both. In fact, the picture on my Sony SD TV is noticably better than E*. I was a E* customer for 6 years and was really tired of the poor treatment that existing customers received. The last straw was when I called them after aquiring a second HDTV and asked to trade-up another existing receiver for an 811 and was told "you are only allowed to have one 811 per account"! I hung up with E*, dialled VOOM and ordered essentially the same SD service, but with several times the HD (even if you discount Cinema* channels, which BTW offer remarkable quality for old movies) for the same price . No brainer, huh.

When I called tonight and cancelled E*, the CSR felt obligated to inform me that "VOOM doesn't really broadcast in HD, you know." My reply was that it looked pretty good from where I was sitting...

I live in Dacula, GA ~30 miles from the broadcast stations and my OTA reception ranges from a low of 74% to 92%. I receive all 10 of the ATL digital channels. Chris installed the new elliptical antenna accommodate the new VOOM sat that is due soon. Signal strengh on the sat is 95%. Interestingly enough, the new dish also has a second, entirely different design, LNBF. Maybe C band? I wonder what is next for VOOM.

Hi , called today about NBC 11-1 and they had no idea what I was talking about , this really sucks because I have no NBC now . Maybe Sean has an idea what we can do to fix our problem .

Channel 11 (WXIA)

I called this morning too and was thourghly frustrated at their CSR's lack of understanding about the services that they sell. After explining the situation 5 times to the same CSR all she could offer was the following (In this order)

1. Channel 11 must be broadcasting in analog. (After broadcasting digitally for several years)
2. My antenna needs to be upgraded. (Same antenna that has worked flawlessly for 8 months)
3. There must be something wrong with my receiver.

She tried to schedule a service call that I refused. Hopefully the new software update with the ability to scan local stations will provide a de-facto fix...

Hey guys, I have a simular problem down here in Macon... Channel 13 is mapped on 4.1 for HD and it's mapped on 4.2 for SD Doplar Radar... I realize you guys have only 11.1 mapped and you're getting the SD Radar instead of the HD feed that you want... Well here I want to see the radar on occasion and I usually get HD on both channels... Sometimes it will come in, but it's liable to be on either channel... If I change it and then go back, it won't come in... Fortunately for me I have an integrated tuner and it gives no problems at all... I wish Voom's tuner was more like my integrated one... On my integrated tuner, I get channel 11 on 10.03 and 11.01 for HD and 11.02 for SD radar... With Voom's antenna I get nothing from Atlanta, but it's pointed to the east toward Macon instead of north toward Atlanta... I wonder if you are aware that channel 2 has an SD channel now for ABC's World News Now... I guess it should be mapped at 2.2... When you get the upgrade channel 11 can be found on 10 and channel 2 is on 39...

nuneza said:
I called this morning too and was thourghly frustrated at their CSR's lack of understanding about the services that they sell. After explining the situation 5 times to the same CSR all she could offer was the following (In this order)

1. Channel 11 must be broadcasting in analog. (After broadcasting digitally for several years)
2. My antenna needs to be upgraded. (Same antenna that has worked flawlessly for 8 months)
3. There must be something wrong with my receiver.

She tried to schedule a service call that I refused. Hopefully the new software update with the ability to scan local stations will provide a de-facto fix...

I received the firmware upgrade last night for one of my TV's. The scanning fixed this issue. Apparantly VoOm was broadcasting 11.2 vs 11.1. I also received approx 4 religious channels OTA that were not mapped originally.

Hi , download went flawlessly and i got back my NBC 11-1 , along with some multipule channels of UPN and CBS . Great!

The channel lineup is weird now, with CBS-HD being on 19-1? I guess I'll just have to get used to it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)