Atlanta Mpeg4 Installation

ronjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Has anyone in Atlanta had a 622/211 installed? If so did the installation include a dish1000 or just connecting the receiver to the existing dishes? I have a Dish500(110,119) and a Dish300(61.5). I am concerned that if my installation takes place Tuesday without a Dish1000 and the Atlanta HD locals are placed on 129, that E* will want me to pay another installation fee to get a Dish1000 to pick up the HD locals. I need 61.5 now to pick up the Atlanta Univision station, so I can't just move the 300 to 129.

I have called and emailed E* and the only response I get is that Atlanta does not need a Dish1000 right now. I was offered a Dish1000 installation if requested, but my response is that I do not want E* to spend the money if it is not necessary, but I do not want to pay twice if it is necessary.

I tried activating my 622 on Friday, and the CSR told me that I have a Dish 1000 install scheduled for today (2/21). I questioned what equipment the installer was suppose to bring, and the CSR said they knew what equipment I currently have and will know what to bring. I hope they were right.

I assume all installations in Atlanta DMA will be getting the Dish 1000.

My install of the 622 happened last Saturday. No DISH1000 was installed. I am getting all the HD channels in on my current setup which is DISH500 + a 300 looking at 61.5.

Though I must say it seems to be still up in the air whether they're going to move the ATL local HD channels to 61.5 or not.

Well my installation took place today with no dish1000. I am out of town on business so I cannot even see the thing work.

I had some very good conversations with E* and am confident that if I need a dish1000 I will not have a problem getting it.

Moving them to 61.5 makes the most sense because they already have Atlanta channels on that satellite but you never know with Dish.

Those channels on 61.5 will move at some point so Dish complies with the "locals on one dish" rule. Now, this rule only applies to SD locals I believe.

No Dish 1000 Scheduled

I have a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 pointed at the 61.5 satellite for E* HD and Sky Angel. When I signed up for the ViP 622 lease deal, I thought that the Atlanta HD locals would be on the 61.5 Rainbow 1 satellite and I was OK with my present equipment. I have talked to 2 tech reps since I learned that the Atlanta HD locals were going to be on the 129 satellite about getting a Dish 1000 included with my scheduled installation on March 2, but have not had any success. The last one said that the Dish 1000 was only included if it was needed to receive the national HD channels and was not included if needed to only to receive HD locals. However, he thought that E* would have a good upgrade offer to the Dish 1000 when the Atlanta HD locals were launched.

It appears that those upgrading to the ViP 622 in the Atlanta DMA get a Dish 1000 if they do not have a 61.5 dish, but do not if they have a 61.5 dish and a Dish 500.

Push to get your D1000 at install or when the tech is there. That's what I did, and the first CSR the install tech talked to wanted to charge $199 for the D1000. He hung up and called back and got it free, and will be coming back on Saturday for install.

The tech said ALL new Atlanta installs are getting D1000 for HD. Sounds as if the Atlanta HD locals are staying at 129.

What about the VOOM channels, TBS-SD, and Atlanta PBS-SD, are they on 129 as well as 61.5? If I only get a D1000 installed and a ViP 622, will I have access to all the HD channels including the HD locals (ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS), HD nationals (HBO, Discovery, etc.), VOOM, TBS-SD, and Atlanta PBS-SD without needing the 61.5 dish?

mpeltz said:
What about the VOOM channels, TBS-SD, and Atlanta PBS-SD, are they on 129 as well as 61.5? If I only get a D1000 installed and a ViP 622, will I have access to all the HD channels including the HD locals (ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS), HD nationals (HBO, Discovery, etc.), VOOM, TBS-SD, and Atlanta PBS-SD without needing the 61.5 dish?

If you want TBS (offered on the AT60 and higher, but the 61.5 has local commercials), PBS 30 (PBS 8 is on 110 or 119), and the others (Univision, and the others I'm not sure about...WB and UPN) you will need the 61.5 for now. You can get this dish installed for free at anytime due to Atlanta locals residing on it.

Eventually, all SD locals are suppose to be offerred thru one dish per FCC. I think this is suppose to be sometime in 2007.