Atmos in Dormer Room?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
This a "basics Atmos" question. My "Cave" is an upstairs dormer room (slanted wall, half-way up) and 4.5' of flat ceiling. Would it be futile to try to use up-firing speakers? I would imagine the effect would get lost in such an environment. Anyone with experience with such? Was looking at a pair or Elac Debut A4's to set on top of bookshelfs. I posted same in AVS forum with NO response.

Thanks!

I can only imagine that an up firing speaker is going to reflect horizontally off that dormer and mix with the other side. I experimented with a pair of the up firing Klipsch ATMOS speakers in a more conventional room. I didn't like the results. Sound was muddy and imprecise. I returned the speakers and purchased the equivalent bookshelf ones with mounts. Much better results and the total was a couple hundred cheaper.

I'm thinking you can mount height speakers a bit down the dormers and get both separation and height.

FWIW, here is my current setup:
fam_rm_ht.jpg

Here is what I have to work with. Would smaller speakers like the Klipsch (sitting on top of large speaker) on telescoping stands work? Also thought of a wall shelf on each side of window just below the top of the TV for up-fires. Suggestions are more than welcome!

Cave TV.jpg

BTW, like your setup. Very clean.

IMO, the upfiring speakers are only desirable when you want to keep the speakers low. I think you get better performance from direct radiators if you can handle having a pair of height speakers just above those album frames.

I went with Klipsch R-14M speakers. These are exactly the same drivers as the Klipsch ATMOS ones, but in a conventional case. They tend to sell for $135/pr, instead of the $450 for the ATMOS ones.
For mounting, I used these. Amazon product ASIN B01GUITK24I found them to be a sturdy mount with a clean appearance. Easy to install. Someday, I will do better at hiding the wires :)

Reactions: Foxbat

IMO, the upfiring speakers are only desirable when you want to keep the speakers low. I think you get better performance from direct radiators if you can handle having a pair of height speakers just above those album frames.

I went with Klipsch R-14M speakers. These are exactly the same drivers as the Klipsch ATMOS ones, but in a conventional case. They tend to sell for $135/pr, instead of the $450 for the ATMOS ones.
For mounting, I used these. Amazon product ASIN B01GUITK24I found them to be a sturdy mount with a clean appearance. Easy to install. Someday, I will do better at hiding the wires :)
About where would you put them. Not thrilled with having exposed wire but there's probably a way to conceal. Most stands don't go more than about 6' up.

About where would you put them. Not thrilled with having exposed wire but there's probably a way to conceal. Most stands don't go more than about 6' up.
Never mind, you answered where.

What about above albums, level to top of window?

I think you get better performance from direct radiators if you can handle having a pair of height speakers just above those album frames.
What about above albums, level to top of window?
I like that.
I'm sure you do... :D

I can't see placing the Atmos speakers in the ceiling; that would be too much work for not much benefit.

And, to be honest, I initially thought with my original quick glance of this thread, that you were looking to put Atmos in your Dorm Room. With a son in college, you might understand with my initial reaction to say "You're there to study and get an education, not experience Dolby Atmos Surround!" :)

Reactions: KAB
There's a difference between "height speakers" and Atmos speakers. Height speakers are situated above your fronts firing at you while Atmos speakers are more overhead and firing down.
Or in most cases firing up to the ceiling.

I am wondering whether some of this is marketing directives, rather than technical.

Manufacturers can sell that premium priced product for the 'true' experience. I tried both, and IMO, a direct radiator provides me a better, cleaner sound. Note that DTS-X recommends height speakers as well, not reflected ATMOS effects.

I started becoming skeptical 25 years ago when Dolby Digital started emerging. At the time, they were recommending ceiling speakers for rears. I looked at them, and the muddiness and low recommended levels made me wonder why I needed surround at all. Eventually, I went with direct rear radiators.

I'm sure you do... :D

I can't see placing the Atmos speakers in the ceiling; that would be too much work for not much benefit.
I think you'd be surprised. It is noticeable and kind of spectacular if the film is properly mixed for that sort of thing. The Martian and Wonder Woman are 2 films that immediately come to mind.

I like that.

That will be fairly easy to conceal wires...inside corner molding, shaved a bit at the corner. Then, just paint the 3-4" of wires going over to speakers. Thanks for the input. AVS was of no help at all!

I think you'd be surprised. It is noticeable and kind of spectacular if the film is properly mixed for that sort of thing. The Martian and Wonder Woman are 2 films that immediately come to mind.
To be fair, I was thinking KAB would need to do a bit of drywall work and deal with attic insulation behind the ceiling. Mounting the speakers on the wall above the album art would be a lot easier. Plus, easier to try out before making it permanent.

Could you point the satellite speakers to reflect off of the dormer and direct the sound from above?

Yep, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying wall mount was not worth it. Sorry.

Reflecting off the dormer is what kinda started this discussion. Reflecting off the dormer will cause the sound from the two speakers to be directed horizontally toward each other. It will mix and produce 'interesting' interference patterns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)