Atmos in Dormer Room?

That's the all-in-one solution but it probably wasn't Dolby's first choice. Contrary to what Bose insisted for years and years, reflected sound isn't all that.

I would disagree. I have a Samsung K950 5.1.4 ATMOS soundbar setup and it is full and rich. And with either true ATMOS material, or the Dolby Experience ATMOS app on the Xbox One, it really performs.

I would disagree. I have a Samsung K950 5.1.4 ATMOS soundbar setup and it is full and rich. And with either true ATMOS material, or the Dolby Experience ATMOS app on the Xbox One, it really performs.
Surround sound has some pretty serious demands in terms of room geometry and adding additional shapes, textures and material densities each throws their own monkey wrenches into the works.

I favor the camp of jayn_j where you avoid the contributions of not entirely predictable reflections (both in terms of where they go and how they are phased) in favor of carefully directed sound. Calibration systems can overcome some of these issues but likely not all of them.

Yeah, ideally I would want all discrete speaker setups, but in my home the openness is an issue. Could have gone with ceiling speakers but ATMOS would have been difficult at the rears. Not to mention the cost.

One last question. What would be best placement.... Lower and wider (left side) or closer and higher (right side)?
Cave TV speaker.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're going to be best served by fabricating some sort of temporary stand (maybe out of 2x2) and trying each location. There's a lot of things in play and pictures can't reasonably tell us.

I think you're going to be best served by fabricating some sort of temporary stand (maybe out of 2x2) and trying each location. There's a lot of things in play and pictures can't reasonably tell us.
I'd say more like a 4x4...what a pain.

You are trading height effect for separation. If it were me, I'd favor the height and go with the one on the right. Most of your L-R separation will come from the mains.
Thanks, that's the way I am leaning.

BTW, like your setup. Very clean.

IMO, the upfiring speakers are only desirable when you want to keep the speakers low. I think you get better performance from direct radiators if you can handle having a pair of height speakers just above those album frames.

I went with Klipsch R-14M speakers. These are exactly the same drivers as the Klipsch ATMOS ones, but in a conventional case. They tend to sell for $135/pr, instead of the $450 for the ATMOS ones.
For mounting, I used these. Amazon product ASIN B01GUITK24I found them to be a sturdy mount with a clean appearance. Easy to install. Someday, I will do better at hiding the wires :)
I ordered the R-14Ms from Amazon today. They were down to 4 pairs at $135. Everywhere else, $200.

Reactions: Foxbat and jayn_j

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)