ATSC 3.0 Coming to Hartford in October

Yay! Finally! Let's see how the details work themselves out, but good to see something FINALLY lighting up!

In Austin we have a total of 8 channels on 2 physical channels and so far not impressed. The PQ at best looks like what our local cable company pumps out with over compression.

In Austin we have a total of 8 channels on 2 physical channels and so far not impressed. The PQ at best looks like what our local cable company pumps out with over compression.
Blech! Do you know how it was transcoded? Perhaps the sources came from MPEG-2 channels and they have putrescent hardware or software.

Reactions: navychop
I am told WFSB (CBS) and WTNH (ABC) are also going to be part of this ATSC 3.0 signal as well. So WTIC (FOX) WCCT (CW) WFSB (CBS) and WTNH (ABC) will all be on the same ATSC signal.

That will make a lot of people happy who have issues picking up WTNH. Will it be a more robust signal? Fox is spotty at my house.

here is western CT, WTNH is fairly easy to receive. The difficult one is usually WFSB 36/3, and WHCT 35/35 (ME-TV) is almost impossible. Any word on WHCT joining the party?

Do we know what RF channel will transition to ATSC 3.0 and where its existing ATSC 1.0 channels will move to?

Reactions: dfecarter
With the excitement, I went out and purchased a HdHomeRun Connect 4K ATSC 3.0 Tuner. Just hooked it up and did a scan, hoping to find them testing and nothing yet.

But I will keep on checking. :D

Reactions: FTA4PA
With the excitement, I went out and purchased a HdHomeRun Connect 4K ATSC 3.0 Tuner. Just hooked it up and did a scan, hoping to find them testing and nothing yet.

But I will keep on checking. :D
So current ATSC 1.0 tvs aren't backwards compatible. But will they receive the 3.0 signal as a 1.0 signal?

No. You will need a new tuner to see ATSC 3.0 and other than the HD Homerun's there are no ATSC 3.0 tuners out there. (A few 8K sets have them built in)

Note that ATSC 3 tuners can tune ATSC 1.0 as well.

No. You will need a new tuner to see ATSC 3.0 and other than the HD Homerun's there are no ATSC 3.0 tuners out there. (A few 8K sets have them built in)

Note that ATSC 3 tuners can tune ATSC 1.0 as well.
So you will get the same "old" signal, but will it be more robust like the 3.0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts