ATSC 3.0 Discussion

Yes, you are correct and many channel shares have already started, rescanning your receivers is key. If a channel goes away, just rescan it and hope the new signal is as good or better than before.
Not exactly. In some cases in my market, stations have gone away completely, or high definition channels have become 480p subchannels of another station. This happened with our second PBS station becoming a subchannel, and an accompianing consolidation and removal of other subchannels from that pair. In all, we lost 3 subchannels, and replaced one HD channel with a SD one. In a second instance, a low power independent went off the air and some, but not all of the subchannels were picked up by other stations.

This is just the first round, and there will be others in the upcoming months.

What does ATSC have to do with HAM? What is VFO?
I expect that Kyle91 is trying to brag about some manner of SDR. Of course most SDRs don't have the bandwidth necessary to handle 6MHz channels so its mostly a waste of words. Add to that the hardware necessary to decode the stream and it becomes a situation where one can detect a carrier but can't do anything other than that.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I didn't find anything extremely compelling in that video. Just more of the same but with the ability to sell directly to the viewer through the TV without having to "call now". Seems to really hinge on internet connectivity for all the features to be active.

Personally I wish 5G was part of the ATSC 3.0 specifications. This would turn your TV into a two way device. They could then offer premium content and get that content using the 5G built in to the TV.

Personally I wish 5G was part of the ATSC 3.0 specifications. This would turn your TV into a two way device. They could then offer premium content and get that content using the 5G built in to the TV.
What's the point of having wireless when viewing on something that is sitting in your living room? As time goes on, I'm less and less in favor of building everything into the TV such that it loses favor and I'm forced to buy a new TV to keep up.

It will take some serious effort to convince me that ATSC 3.0 on devices is practical.

The ATSC can always incorporate 5G later if it becomes a thing. As it is, 5G for the rest of us doesn't seem much further along than Next-Gen.

If your using an Over the Air tuner to Watch TV your already using wireless.
I use the term "wireless" to refer to service from wireless phone carriers -- just like everyone else has since the term "cellular" was replaced. Thomas Dolby's "wireless" became obsolete years ago (hence his tribute in the form of The Golden Age of Wireless).

I'll bet that the next time we hear the word "cellular" come around, it will be in reference to OTA television using SFN.

There's no mandate for 3.0; it's voluntary, so no deadline. But if they elect to go 3.0, they have to simulcast their old 1.0 signal for 5 years, IIRC.

Right, but I have heard that those sub channels will drop much sooner than 5 years as they consolidate. I mention this since I watch more of the sub channels than the primary ones.

from a google search:
"The five-year simulcasting window should mean viewers with TV antennas don't lose access to major networks, although the transmitter-sharing deals might result in some sub-channels being dropped. How exactly this all works is yet to be decided and could be a city-by-city decision." link cited: What is Next Gen TV and when will it launch?

I mention this since I watch more of the sub channels than the primary ones.
Alas, as was pointed out in the repack thread, some stations seem to be favoring smashing out all of the combined channels rather than dropping them. The poster noted that their market (Charlotte) has a station with two 720p feeds and six SD feeds.

At what point do the subchannels become completely unwatchable? My Comet is already there and it is part of a 2x720p + 2xSD configuration (KATU).

I'm pretty sure this new technology will be useful during sporting events, such as the Superbowl or the World Series, where they would display score on the bottom of the TV.

I could also order a pizza from a Pizza Hut commercial using the new ATSC 3.0 technology.

With ATSC 3.0, interaction is key...

A few years ago, Dish had an in screen app that let you order a pizza. I tried it.

It didn’t work.

The idea, and app, died a quick death.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I can order pizza or check scores on my phone using apps. I really do nto need things like this interfering eith the TV experience for me or others.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)