ATSC 3.0 Discussion

I agree with this. Phone apps have evolved to a point where adding them to a TV would be redundant.
People have apps on both their phones and tablet computers. Is that redundant? Yes, but it's also convenient, just like how the new TV standard will be a convenience. You won't have to pick up the phone or tablet often if the app is integrated into the TV. Not everyone likes this idea, but some people do.

People have apps on both their phones and tablet computers. Is that redundant? Yes, but it's also convenient, just like how the new TV standard will be a convenience. You won't have to pick up the phone or tablet often if the app is integrated into the TV. Not everyone likes this idea, but some people do.

I don’t use tablets; my iPhone is a phablet

I doubt the order history on the phone would be shared on the TV. Too much coordination and cooperation needed. Unless the TV setup allows the exact same app. Which I doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm pretty sure this new technology will be useful during sporting events, such as the Superbowl or the World Series, where they would display score on the bottom of the TV.
The score already appears at the top of the display so what's the point of taking up more screen real estate? If the local stations overlay anything it seems likely to be related to gathering additional revenue rather than providing added value.
With ATSC 3.0, interaction is key...
When you figure out how that benefits the viewer, please let us know.

The only time I can recall exploring linked content is as part of a software testing process.

I don’t use tablets; my iPhone is a phablet
Even the largest iPhone doesn't approximate the experience of the smallest iPad. The most annoying aspect being the aspect ratio when running software designed for tablets. I suppose they'll eventually support the Apple Pencil on phones.

At some point, I expect that the minimum screen size for a phablet will be 6" or larger where the iPhone 8+ currently slips just under the wire at 5.5".

If its weather updates like blizzard warning that would be fine.
Another application where the existing technology (weather alert radios and wireless phones) is probably better suited. I don't see them outfitting televisions with a battery backup system.

Alerts don't support the apparently burning need for interactivity as they come through a different stream altogether.

Portland Stations Plan ATSC 3.0 Rollout

Meredith and Nexstar, along with Sinclair Broadcast Group and Tegna Inc., have filed applications with the FCC for the commercial transition of the Portland, Ore., market (DMA 22) to ATSC 3.0, while Oregon Public Broadcasting will be filing an application regarding its participation in the transition in the near future

Meredith’s KPDX (MNT) and Nexstar’s KRCW (CW) will each serve as a NextGen TV host stations in Portland and are planning to make network programming from Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, CW and MyNetworkTV available on NextGen TV broadcasts following FCC approval.

• Wow
Reactions: N5XZS and harshness
Call me when I can get a STB for under a hundred bucks.

Actually, I’ll probably wait until I can get a decent ATSC 3 DVR at a decent price. What you figure, another five years?

Btw, How we can find out the ATSC 3.0's call letter designated for?

We know ATSC 1.0 would be KOAT-DT, full power.

But in ATSC 3.0 world, Would be something like KOAT-EX, or would be in KOAT-NG or how it about KOAT-3.0?:)

Maybe Trip, could spill the beans for us.:hatsoff

Trip, You mean same old call letter in ATSC 3.0 world?

How you know if the station is operating 2 transmitters 1 is ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 under the same call letter KOAT-DT?

ATSC 3.0 should have original -?? Instead of - DT?:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)