ATSC 3.0 Discussion

At least Albuquerque's TV market, is on the list for ATSC 3.0 roll out before end of this year, of course with the Corona Virus may get delayed till sometime in 2021. :hungry

There will be a blaring of trumpets and a thundering of hooves.

Voyager6, Everybodys is just curious, that's all regardless of ATSC 3.0 tuners or not. :hatsoff :hungry
I understand that. But it is all just hype since no one can even see an ATSC 3.0 broadcast at this time unless you are willing to shell out $$$$ for a prototype tuner. You would think that the stations starting an ATSC 3.0 broadcast would set up viewing locations so that the public could see the benefits of ATSC 3.0.

I understand that. But it is all just hype since no one can even see an ATSC 3.0 broadcast at this time unless you are willing to shell out $$$$ for a prototype tuner. You would think that the stations starting an ATSC 3.0 broadcast would set up viewing locations so that the public could see the benefits of ATSC 3.0.

The HDHomeRun device coming in July has 4 total tuners, 2 capable of doing up to 4 channels of ATSC 3.0 between them for $199, roughly $50 above the cost of the regular ATSC HDHomeRun Quatro. An extra $50 is hardly a lot to risk on a "prototype". I needed more tuners anyway, so I was happy to take the gamble. There may not be much to watch initially but both markets I have access to are slated to start ATSC 3.0 broadcasts this year or next year. It's nice being on the front of something technological for a change!

“Up to 4 channels of ATSC 3” sounds like that might be a major limitation.

Does it matter? No one has a tuner to receive them.

Right now I could care less, except for one thing. as the Portland stations will be "Stacking" and that is a real plus for Oregonians using translators. We will be going from 16 OTA channels to 25! 32 & 49 will be used for 3.0 and what is there, including Antenna TV will be stacked. 32 Portlabnd does not have many translators (KRCW-CW, Antenna TV, etc), and those are going to their sister station, KOIN CBS, which we do have a translator for. Our number of OTA offerings will go up.

Reactions: FTA4PA
PER tuner. Two ATSC 3.0 tuners = 8 channels. I believe?

IF it's only 4 channels for both Atsc 3.0 tuners (2 channels each), that's still pretty good, and leaves the other two ATSC 1.0 tuners still working

Right now it is 2 channels of ATSC 3.0 for each of the two ATSC 3.0 tuners based on the information they've provided on the Kickstarter, so four channels of ATSC 3.0 total for the box plus 2 channels of ATSC 1.0 for the remaining two tuners. That is still a bonus above the current 4 tuner box where 4 tuners = 4 tuners total.

It's a starting point- once ATSC 3.0 becomes more common I'm sure they will expand, or you can always add additional boxes to add more tuners to your total setup.

I believe each ATSC 3 channel space can be used to send more than 4 programs at once.

I believe each ATSC 3 channel space can be used to send more than 4 programs at once.

I'm only referring to the capabilities of the upcoming HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 device.

Here is what they've posted:

The new HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K (HDHR5-4K) is the device to upgrade your home entertainment to receive every free channel available in your area. It's built with 4 TV tuners - all 4 tuners receive ATSC 1.0 and 2 of those tuners pick up the new Ultra High Definition ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. We plan to enable multi-channel support so you can watch up to 4 ATSC 3.0 sub-channels across the 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners, all in high definition!

e983d542b617f96217d0b19ca007f6a4_original.png

So in theory their four tuner device actually allows the viewing of 6 different feeds at one time based on what they've provided so far.

And what if there are two ATSC 3 channels in your area, each broadcasting six programs in some combination of HD and SD? I expect AT LEAST six, to go for the especially if simulcasting.

Reactions: N5XZS
Mileage may vary on local TV stations using certain bitrate with the picture's quality's.

Assuming they don't try to overcram and use bandwidth wisely. :rolleyes:

There will be some stations does a nice job by giving generous bandwidth, or you got stations, don't care and cram many subchannels on signal rf carrier channel. :rolleyes::eeek

You are assuming personal selectivity of which channels. The boxes might just pick up the first couple. Or get confused and get none.

I’ll wait until ATSC 3 gets a genuine foothold here, and full featured STBs come out to handle whatever an ATSC 3 station can throw at them.

I watch very little OTA anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)