ATSC 3.0 Discussion

• Angry
Reactions: TheKrell
Just what many of us feared - broadcasters turning traditional free over the air television into a pay service. For years they have been touting ATSC 3.0 as a step forward for antenna users. Now we see the real reason for the switch is starting to surface! :(

If it could provide high quality cable channels to areas underserved by broadband, I could see a use for it for some people. But otherwise I predict it will flop just like it did 30 years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell and N5XZS
Yep, I remembered the backeast had a few analog pay TV stations broadcast scrambled nightly back in the 80's and the 90's on the ancient NTSC video.

Funny thing though you can naked women since, It's so soft scrambled!:biggrin

If it could provide high quality cable channels to areas underserved by broadband, I could see a use for it for some people. But otherwise I predict it will flop just like it did 30 years ago.
If premium channels were offered in addition to the regular ota programming we have seen over the years then I would have no problem with it. Sounds as though this venture is in place of traditional ota - pay to play. I hope your prediction comes true if that is the case.

P.S. We live in an area that is underserved by broadband (just over 2 Mbps) and count on ota for a lot of our tv viewing. We would watch nothing ota rather than agree to this. :oldno

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have to laugh when I see videos praising all the benefits of ATSC3.0.
1) Most stations utilizing ATSC3.0 are not planning on showing 4K content. In fact there is very little 4K content available.
2) Claims that ATSC3.0 will solve all reception problems are false. ATSC3.0 may handle multi path better but RF physics remain the same. I hate it when videos show a rabbit ears antenna as a solution for ATSC3.0 stations.
3) Time frame estimates are always exaggerated. With the corona virus shutdown, delays in implementation of the repack, no cheap converter boxes, and the limited number of tower installers, I fully expect it to be 2021 before ATSC3.0 is used very much.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have to laugh when I see videos praising all the benefits of ATSC3.0.
1) Most stations utilizing ATSC3.0 are not planning on showing 4K content. In fact there is very little 4K content available.
2) Claims that ATSC3.0 will solve all reception problems are false. ATSC3.0 may handle multi path better but RF physics remain the same. I hate it when videos show a rabbit ears antenna as a solution for ATSC3.0 stations.
3) Time frame estimates are always exaggerated. With the corona virus shutdown, delays in implementation of the repack, no cheap converter boxes, and the limited number of tower installers, I fully expect it to be 2021 before ATSC3.0 is used very much.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This is more about the ability to cram more subchannels onto a frequency.

In addition to the ability to handle multi path better than 8 VSB, NextGen TV uses a better interleaver. This will solve some interference problems such as line noise and ignition noise. Some of the user defined modulation standards offer reception at lower signal to noise ratios than ATSC 1.0. It is also possible to transmit audio using a more robust modulation than the video which would lower the “watchable” cliff effect by several dB.

I would not be surprised if the TV makers will put a 1 or 2 Tb hard drive for DVR recording inside the TV set! :hungry
Not so sure. The content providers much prefer the cloud model where they continue to control the content and its distribution. Any such feature would need to follow a strict set of copy protection and I suspect that much of the valuable content would be flagged as not recordable.

COVID-19 Delays, Not Derails, NextGen TV Plans

Las Vegas and Portland, Ore. will light up their NextGen TV markets in June from their initially-slated late April launch, but the broadcasters and coalition driving the new industry standard forward say major launches will still move ahead this year. The launches will coincide with the arrival in retail stores of the first 3.0-capable sets.

Channel Stacking
While new deals are required for stations to broadcast network programming in 3.0, the far thornier issue has been figuring out where to move 1.0 programming in order to free up capacity on host stations to launch 3.0. Local stations have also had to convince the networks that such “channel stacking” won’t have a negative impact on picture quality, though 3.0 insiders say the networks are being flexible.

“Everybody’s in a learning mode, especially with things like football,” Fritz says. “Fox, NBC and CBS want to ensure that the quality of sports programming is not diminished. So we’re showing them what the picture quality is going to look like with the new encoders, whether it’s doing one HD and six SDs or two HDs and four SDs.”

Hane agrees: “The networks understand we’re going to be stacking up HDs, and they’re fine with that.”

As for the early 3.0 broadcasts, they will initially just be simulcasts of existing 720p and 1080i HD network programming. In Portland, KRCW will broadcast its own CW feed as well as CBS from KOIN, ABC from KATU and PBS from KOPB, while KPDX will broadcast MyNetworkTV as well as Fox from KPTV, NBC from KGW and PBS Encore from KOPB (the hosting of KOPB content is still awaiting final signoff). With a proposed modulation/coding scheme that will deliver 25 Mbps from each host 3.0 station, each commercial HD feed will initially be allocated around 7 Mbps while the PBS feeds will get around 3.6 Mbps, all using HEVC encoding.

It was reported that once the stacking begins, our translators will have most of the Portland stations. Our 1.0 line up should be the same as Portland.

Sinclair
2.1 KATU-ABC
2.2 METV
2.3 Comet
2.4 Stadium
*32.1 KRCW-CW (Nexstar)

Nexstar
6.1 KOIN CBS
6.2 Get TV
6.3 Bounce
*32.2 Antenna TV (Nexstar)
*32.3 Court TV (Nexstar)
*32.4 TBD (Nexstar)

Tegna
8.1 KGW NBC
8.2 Justice TV
8.3 Qwest
*49.2 Escape (Meredith)
*49.3 Grit (Meredith)

OPB Oregon
10.1 KOPB PBS
10.2 OPB+
10.3 PBS Kids
10.4 OPB Radio

Meredith
12.1 KPTV Fox
*12.2 COZI
*12.3 Laff
*12.4 Grit
49.1 KPDX MyTV

* denotes a new OTA channel for us out on the OR Coast, so the stacking is good for us. Who knows the arraignments after the 5 year period to 3.0 out here though?
No changes in the TBN Portland station or ION, which has no translators anyway.
I was looking forward to today (20th) as that was the D Day, but with the virus and all they had to move it up . Hopefully in June.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Just received:

4K Over the Air TV is Happening!

This is the year TV stations across the country will begin testing high resolution 1080p and 4K content with up to 7.1.4 surround sound and HDR, free for anyone with an antenna and the right hardware.

The HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K Kickstater

We are launching the ATSC 3.0 capable HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K (HDHR5-4K) on Kickstater today. The QUATRO 4K is equipped with four ATSC TV tuners - two tuners support the new Ultra High Definition ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and all four support standard ATSC 1.0 broadcasts.

If the Kickstarter hits we will kick off a mini production run to support early adopters. The ATSC 3.0 standard is still very much a future standard. Broadcasters are starting to test in select markets with plans to expand testing to 40 major metro areas this year. Locations include Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, and Detroit. See here for the full list.

This is for the adventurous - you get to participate in the bringup and testing of this new TV technology.

A Fair Price

Up until now, ATSC 3.0 products have been $800 for a single tuner USB stick, and over $1000 for anything more. That number is crazy. The HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K is going to be $199.99, just 50 bucks more than our standard HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO.

For broadcasters, developers, and anyone who wants to tinker with ATSC 3.0 we are offering a Developers Edition for $299.99. See the Kickstarter for all the details.

If you are as excited about what ATSC 3.0 brings to free Over the Air TV as we are, head over to the Kickstarter now or head over to our forum!

Already joined the Kickstarter! We have plenty of Sinclair/Nexstar stations here slated to make the "jump". This appears to be a hybrid solution they're offering right now. It is 4 tuners, two can pick up ATSC 3.0 and two can pick up ATSC 1.0. I guess that is designed for greater compatibility.

Last edited:
I was looking that over a couple hours ago, and I've been thinking about it. Not sure I want to be a beta-tester for this one as of yet. Though the price isn't too far out there, I'm not sure there'll be much worth receiving for at least another year.

I've been leaning towards wanting a gateway type tuner setup.

Well I live between two markets on the expected rollout list and needed to add some more tuners to my Channels DVR setup anyway. It’s just $50 more than the regular Quattro model so I took a gamble on it.

ATSC 3.0 is not yet rolled out in my market. The closest top-tier markets to get the new standard to where I live are Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee and Chicago. My market is #67, Green Bay, Wisconsin is in the "upper 25" of the "bottom 50" of the Top 100 Nielsen Media Markets.

Closest one here would be kzoo, battle creek. You can pick it up here in Angola Indiana. Wonder when fort Wayne will have atsc 3.0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)