ATSC 3.0 DRM Encryption

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They are claiming it's there to STOP pirates from setting up "tuner farms" and selling channels where the providers can't get their greed fees for the redistribution.

What a joke, I can pretty much guarantee you that it WON'T stop the pirates for long.
Every form of copy protection did little to deter copyright infringement issues and such...
There were ways for people with good code-cracking skills to bypass that stuff entirely...

Reactions: Trip and TheKrell
It is now June and Silicondust is still unable to play encrypted ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. One of the issues is knowing the date of the broadcast so the broadcaster can implement expiration requirements. To do this they are going to change keys every few days, and the app will have to send the recording date to a3sa to make sure it gets the proper key, which will make expiration of playback rights easy to implement and enforce.

It is now June and Silicondust is still unable to play encrypted ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. One of the issues is knowing the date of the broadcast so the broadcaster can implement expiration requirements. To do this they are going to change keys every few days, and the app will have to send the recording date to a3sa to make sure it gets the proper key, which will make expiration of playback rights easy to implement and enforce.
Nick at SiliconDust says they are waiting on an API from A3SA (the encryption "authority"), and that group is dragging their feet. I don't think A3SA really wants our HDHR's to be the first converter to decode their signal.

I think they are waiting for the ADTH-Tolka box to hit the market, since that company is the "first" to get Nextgen certification (bigger payoff to A3SA maybe?). IF that's TRUE, then don't expect our HDHR's to get that API before that box is released first.

According to the Antenna-man video the following markets have utilized DRM encryption of their ATSC 3.0 broadcast.
Miami, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Baltimore, Maryland
Cincinnati, Ohio,
Birmingham, Alabama
Louisville, Kentucky
Greensboro, North Carolina
New Orleans, Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds to me like the industry is making it harder than easier to get the public to embrace 3.0. I have asked some people. They have heard of it, but most could care less. Tuners are too expensive for something the average person could care little about. A lot of it is hype by the industry. We use translators here and it will be many years until the TV stations switch those over.

Nick at SiliconDust says they are waiting on an API from A3SA (the encryption "authority"), and that group is dragging their feet. I don't think A3SA really wants our HDHR's to be the first converter to decode their signal.

I think they are waiting for the ADTH-Tolka box to hit the market, since that company is the "first" to get Nextgen certification (bigger payoff to A3SA maybe?). IF that's TRUE, then don't expect our HDHR's to get that API before that box is released first.

From the description the ADTH-Tolka box is not a DVR device but simply a ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 tuner. $119.99 is a lot of money for a device that can not record broadcasts.

Reactions: primestar31
Can ATSC 1 be encrypted as well? The Telco mentality here in Canada is that everyone should pay for TV services which included OTA.

Can ATSC 1 be encrypted as well?

No, it can't.
ATSC 1.0 has had encryption too. For much of the 2010s most Ion stations had channels like Starz, Showtime, NFL Network and others encrypted on their signal as part of the defunct Airbox service. And in the 2000s several stations in the Rocky Mountains had about 2 dozen popular encrypted cable channels spread across their signals for the defunct USDTV.

i.e. this is what WPXN NYC had in 2012, 2013, and 2017

Reactions: jorgek and TheKrell
I say let the lack of market demand kill off 3.0. I was all for new technology and improved standards, but if it's going to be used to take away the rights of consumers to record their content as freely as possible, then let it die. We don't need a coupon program to subsidize a model that only benefits the broadcasters and not the consumers. Even with all of the DRM additions and features of 3.0, I think the Live TV model of broadcasting is a dying breed. Stations are moving more of their content behind a paywall through their streaming services, and programming schedules are filled with extra hours of news coverage. Basically, I see a future where the broadcasters become nothing more than 24/7 news channels with around the clock news readers who are paid a tiny fraction of the cost it takes to support some drama, action, or comedy show. On the other hand, they could adopt the Pluto TV model of showing older seasons of shows for free to entice the public to sign up for the streaming service to watch the latest seasons. Regardless, streaming platforms are going to be the bread and butter of broadcasters with all of the cord cutting occurring. They show a lack of respect for those willing to put a piece of metal up to get a free signal by encrypting it.

The lack of demand isn’t going to kill it when the FCC is forcing broadcasters to light up in 3.0.

When everyone moves to 3.0 the question is will people pay for 3.0 tuners or will the government offers free tuners like they did for 1.0?

Reactions: Comptech
Here in CT the stations didn’t want to go to 3.0 and the FCC forced them to go 3.0. All are broadcasting from the same transmitter. (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox)

they now have a few years to update their own transmitters to 3.0 and move back to their frequencies.

I say let the lack of market demand kill off 3.0.
I just hope whatever resources were originally planned for ATSC 3.0 is instead used to improve ATSC 1.0, like upgrading ATSC 1.0 from a broadcast standard that only works while stationary, to a broadcast standard that works while both stationary and mobile, for example...

Reactions: TheKrell
I don’t believe that ATSC 3.0 is going to die. The full adoption may take a while but the advantages that it offers in compression and multipath reception over ATSC 1.0 will eventually win out. Plus since it has a digital component it allows broadcasts to mobile devices.

I do believe that broadcasters will use encryption to control DVR use. Remember that TV sets that have ATSC 3.0 tuners have been able to receive the encrypted broadcasts. It is the set top boxes that offer DVR capabilities that have not yet been able to decode the encrypted broadcasts. They can make us watch commercials by eliminating skip forward.

I believe that once the ATSC 1.0 broadcasts are removed you will see more of the advertised features of ATSC 3.0 such as 4K broadcasts.