ATSC 3.0 DRM Encryption

A3SA isn't going to allow SD to release a solution with their present tuner

I sure wish I hadn't dropped $200 on my SiliconDust Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner when it came out. Here we are, December 31, 2023 and the thing is pretty much a brick when it comes to decoding encrypted 3.0 stations.

Anybody wanna buy it??

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
I sure wish I hadn't dropped $200 on my SiliconDust Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner when it came out. Here we are, December 31, 2023 and the thing is pretty much a brick when it comes to decoding encrypted 3.0 stations.

Anybody wanna buy it??
It's still a pretty good tuner, and there's always a chance A3SA will relent and allow them to release a fix.

I use it as a front end source for my Channels DVR. I also only have ONE Drm channel so far, but blocked that out and only use its 1.0 version

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I use my HDhomerun-5 every day. We have 5 ATSC 3.0 (2 DRM) broadcast. The local CBS (ATSC 1.0) affiliate is VHF. Lots of PQ problems but the ATSC 3.0 is UHF and PQ is perfect. Also, the ABC (ATSC 1.0) affiliate is 40 miles away, but the lighthouse for the ATSC 3.0 broadcast is 20 miles. While not the best situation it's could be, it's better than it was.

Reactions: primestar31
WFLD had Keyfax Nite-Owl and there may of been an box to get teletext 24/7

No box required Keyfax was a feed that WFLD received a data stream and sent the information out on a reader board over the air. A lot of stations did this because it was easier to keep the signal up all night as to pay an Engineer to shut the signal down. It was not available 24/7 in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering if ATSC 3.0 can be used for teletext, for people don't have access to paid internet services for news and other useful information? :hungry

BBC-1 in 1981 was light years ahead before internet came to use! "Early 90's"

I experienced that in UK at that time in early 80's no phone or any wire connection just plain old TV OTA UHF antenna "ch. 21 to 69" 8 MHz per PAL video 625 lines analog channels at that time.:cool::hatsoff

Then just continue to watch the ATSC 1.0 stations, and wait for ATSC 3.0 to fail.
If so, it's going to be a long wait until the next standard comes along, whether it's ATSC 3.5 or 4.0...I hope that by that time the FCC comes to their senses and decides that multiplexed channels are more important than DRM...

Here is the latest update that Ned posted on January 23, 2024 on the Silicondust forum concerning their HDHomerun ability to deal with ATSC 3.0 encryption. Ned is a spokesperson for the Silicondust forum.

Will unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Mac?
Yes, unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on all Apple TV 4K models and all modern iPad, iPhone, and Mac models.
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K + M1 Mac Mini + HDHomeRun app has been NextGen TV certified.
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K + iPad Air (5th gen) + HDHomeRun app has been NextGen TV certified.

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Mac?
No. ATSC 3.0 uses Google Widevine DRM encryption which is a competitor to Apple FairPlay DRM encryption. This issue is not specific to the HDHomeRun product. A3SA is aware of the problem. There is no solution at this time. Any solution is outside our control and our guess is that a solution is unlikely anytime soon.

Will unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my XBox or my Windows 10/11 system?
Yes, unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on newer XBox consoles and channels up to 1080p60 will play on original XBox One consoles. Unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on modern Windows 10 and 11 systems.
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K + Windows 11 + HDHomeRun app has been NextGen TV certified.

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my XBox or my Windows 10/11 system?
No. ATSC 3.0 uses Google Widevine DRM encryption which is a competitor to Microsoft PlayReady DRM encryption. This issue is not specific to the HDHomeRun product. A3SA is aware of the problem. There is no solution at this time. Any solution is outside our control and our guess is that a solution is unlikely anytime soon.

Will unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Roku TV or Roku Ultra?
Yes, unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on modern Roku televisions and the Roku Ultra 4800X or newer. ATSC 3.0 channels will not play on the Roku Stick, Roku Ultra LT, or older Roku products.

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Roku television or Roku Ultra?
No. While Roku does support Google Widevine DRM encryption (we have demonstrated Roku playing encrypted ATSC 3.0 test channels) there are other A3SA requirements that cannot be met by an installable app. This issue is not specific to the HDHomeRun product. A3SA is aware of the problem. There is no solution at this time. Any solution is outside our control and our guess is that a solution is unlikely anytime soon.
Note that the requirements do not prevent Roku from building a television with an ATSC 3.0 tuner and supporting DRM encrypted channels received directly via antenna.

Will unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my LG television?
Yes, unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on modern LG televisions, including non ATSC 3.0 LG television models.

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my LG television?
Using a gateway product - no. While LG does support Google Widevine DRM encryption there are other A3SA requirements that cannot be met by an installable app. This issue is not specific to the HDHomeRun product. A3SA is aware of the problem. There is no solution at this time. Any solution is outside our control and our guess is that a solution is unlikely anytime soon.
Note that if your LG television is an ATSC 3.0 model and you directly connect an antenna to your LG television it will play ATSC 3.0 channels using its built in tuner. The HDHomeRun is not involved with this approach and no DVR functions are available.

Will unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Android TV or Fire TV device?
Yes, unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on modern Android TV and Fire TV devices. Unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels will play on Android / Fire TV phones and tablets if the hardware supports 10-bit HEVC video.
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K + Android Onn box (2nd gen) + HDHomeRun app has been NextGen TV certified.
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K + Fire TV Cube + HDHomeRun app has been NextGen TV certified.

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Android or Fire TV device?
Using a gateway product - we expect it will be possible in the future but it is not possible today. The Google Widevine DRM decryption is possible but there are other requirements that are draft/incomplete at this time. There is activity happening.

What features will we offer broadcasters that use DRM?
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to block the user from viewing the channel via their home network.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to block the user from recording the channel.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to block the user from viewing recordings made using our product.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to specify a maximum retention time for a recording, specified in minutes, with cryptography strong enforcement.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to specify the minimum level of Widevine security that will be required for playback.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to specify the minimum HDCP protection level that will be required for playback.
* We plan to offer broadcasters the ability to block analog outputs.
* We plan to offer broadcasters a guarantee that we will implement technological measures to tie any recording to the original HDHomeRun hardware used to receive the data.
* We plan to offer broadcasters a guarantee that we will implement technological measures to require the original HDHomeRun hardware to be present when playing a recording.
* We plan to offer broadcasters a guarantee that we will implement technological measures to detect and block viewing to remote locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would seem there is little to no future use for the HDHomeRun and similar units.

Have Content Owners “won?” That would imply they will resume producing content for OTA. I think their hearts and wallets are in the sunset of OTA and their “absolute” control via streaming.