ATSC 3.0 to be Deployed in 40 U.S. Markets by End of 2020

I would not be surprised that going to be a lot's of works on Sandia Crest's antennas farm!:rolleyes:

Gonna have a lot's of freq, STL cordnations to be worked out.:p

So TV engineering guys got their hands full.:D

My local tv stations that are switching are ready in the batch starting tomorrow through June something, but I don't know when they'll actually switch. I sent emails to them two weeks ago asking, but no replies from any of them. There's also not been any scroll on the screen saying when to re-scan, at least not when I've checked a few times.

My local tv stations that are switching are ready in the batch starting tomorrow through June something, but I don't know when they'll actually switch. I sent emails to them two weeks ago asking, but no replies from any of them. There's also not been any scroll on the screen saying when to re-scan, at least not when I've checked a few times.

I believe they can move anytime during that window. Some of my stations moved right away, some waited until today

I believe they can move anytime during that window. Some of my stations moved right away, some waited until today

I'm sure you are right, but you'd think they'd give a little heads-up on when it could be. Tivo might not have the changes right away, and that'll cause a mess of recordings I'll have to pay attention to.

Tv set's won't care, but dvr's need proper TSID's on the correct frequency, or they won't work...

TV sets do care, but only if their humans use the internal tuner.

No, they don't, not like dvr's anyway.

Tv's are capable of showing the channel on it's new actual RF frequency even without a TSID, but not necessarily to the mapped channel they want you to "see". Dvr's (such as Tivo's) are NOT. I've seen this myself a few years back when several of my channels suddenly were only showing up on their true RF frequency, and not on the mapped virtual channel. I contacted the station engineers, and they promptly fixed them.

You can go into the Tivo's data screen, scroll through and see the actual TSID for that channel.

Best case is it will take TiVo a few days to make the changes. It has in both cases for me so far. First batch took a week and the second batch a few days. I was able to rescan and watch the channels on the TiVo but until the remapped them there was no guide data. We still have one more group changing in one of the later stages.

Best case is it will take TiVo a few days to make the changes. It has in both cases for me so far. First batch took a week and the second batch a few days. I was able to rescan and watch the channels on the TiVo but until the remapped them there was no guide data. We still have one more group changing in one of the later stages.

Yep, exactly. I've had to contact Tivo for this issue several times, and 3 days is the fastest time they were able to fix the issue. That's why I'd prefer to know exactly when my stations plan on switching, so I can get the change request into Tivo ASAP.

Reactions: osu1991
Yep, exactly. I've had to contact Tivo for this issue several times, and 3 days is the fastest time they were able to fix the issue. That's why I'd prefer to know exactly when my stations plan on switching, so I can get the change request into Tivo ASAP.
my best is go to avsforum and watch what tv stations are switching look under the local hdtv forum thats what i have been doing lately?there will be alot more tv stations switching so keep watching all i can say.

my best is go to avsforum and watch what tv stations are switching look under the local hdtv forum thats what i have been doing lately?there will be alot more tv stations switching so keep watching all i can say.

My DMA's thread on Avsforum is dead. There's about 5 posts in it over the last 5 years, and 4 of those are mine.

Apparently not too many people around here are OTA only, or if they are, just watch in real time without thinking about any issues.

Reactions: osu1991
Tv set's won't care, but dvr's need proper TSID's on the correct frequency, or they won't work...

Actually the OTA TV Guide on both of my Sony TV’s have lost program information for Fox 28.1, TBD 28.2, and Stadium 28.3 since they changed frequency from channel 36 to channel 27 on Wednesday. However my Dish Hopper3 still has the program information for Fox 28.1. Of course the Hopper3 Guide has no information for 28.2 or 28.3.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Actually the OTA TV Guide on both of my Sony TV’s have lost program information for Fox 28.1, TBD 28.2, and Stadium 28.3 since they changed frequency from channel 36 to channel 27 on Wednesday. However my Dish Hopper3 still has the program information for Fox 28.1. Of course the Hopper3 Guide has no information for 28.2 or 28.3.

Your TV is likely receiving program guide information via PSIP, which is provided by the TV station. You can email their engineer and alert him and he should fix it. It's happened to me a couple of times as well; in fact at this moment KGKC Telemundo's PSIP guide info is gone. I emailed someone at the station to alert them.

No the corner of the Guide screen says “Powered by Gracenote”.
The PSIP data shows up when you tune to the current show and select Display. It is correct but it is only displayed for the current show.

No the corner of the Guide screen says “Powered by Gracenote”.
The PSIP data shows up when you tune to the current show and select Display. It is correct but it is only displayed for the current show.

Ah, in that case, I would email Gracenote and alert them.

My home market is Mobile-Pensacola, but there are several markets up the list from it that I travel to in my RV. Will I need to get a setup box for each TV in my home (2) and my RV (3) when this takes place?

Only if you want independent ATSC 3 viewing at each TV.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The current ATSC standard will be broadcasting thru the end of 2025, and for most stations, many years beyond that.

We could be dead before ATSC 3 takes hold, assuming it ever does.

No, they don't, not like dvr's anyway.

Tv's are capable of showing the channel on it's new actual RF frequency even without a TSID, but not necessarily to the mapped channel they want you to "see".
None of my tuners will tune directly based on RF frequency. They all require configuration steps to add (or remove) stations. The newest models have a setup menu feature where you can introduce a new channel by entering in an RF channel but that's not as easy as a re-scan that may also remove the wrong version of the channel.

The FCC wouldn't be sponsoring PSAs about re-scanning if it weren't a problem for a significant number of viewers.

I have yet to see a TV station talk about what RF channel that they're moving to. Some have warned that a VHF antenna may be required but not which RF channel.

Well, my 2013 LG tv set, and the 2014 Emerson in the sewing room will BOTH tune directly based on real frequency. IF the PSIP data doesn't include the TSID info as it should, they'll even pick up the channels on their RF "real" frequency.

My OTA Tivo will NOT work right without the TSID. Before you say: "But Tivo's don't use PSIP info"! Be aware that Tivo still uses the embedded TSID to remap their guide data that's downloaded through the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)