ATSC tuner in Satellite Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The receiver did have EPG guide for locals as long as you could see the satellite that had the local information on (in my case, Minneapolis is on 110)

I might try again to see if it will show the OTA locals. If not no biggie. But I highly suggest not letting it upload ot 4.28 unless it has a purple card ;)

No card in it, using old embedded one; now the big question - how to prevent the update ? So far I see only one 100% reliable method - disconnect power cord while you are not using it.

I know there is an option that says "ask before download" in the menus that "supposedly" would prevent it from downloading new software.

I know on mine as soon as I shut it off within 30 seconds it started downloading the updated software

I heard that option would be dishonored by Dish any time when they willing to do the update. :( So, only one way to prevent it - disconnect power instead of turn off by remote.

yep pretty much...or just leave it on. But i know the 811 had massive freezeups if on a OTA channel for too long. When using OTA it wouldnt find the sat signal so it would freezeup or if you swiytched to a satellite channel it would black screen you (thus requiring a reboot)

I wound up with an extra purple card due to a 622 swap and when I put it in the 811 about half the time it boots up and I can watch NASA and the rest of the time it says wrong smart card.

I need to put restrain bolt inside of the 811 - each time you power it down, it's comes back with downloading FW screen :(. Only unplug power cord do stop the process.
Interesting you could see the 'with/without permission' mode in System Info second/third screen, but I cannot find a menu where the mode changing :(.

Once the receiver boots up after plugging in, it wont try and download until you power off

There is a way to change it in the menus...lemme try and find it

Smith I goofed
The 811 they removed that option. It use to be 6-1 and then an option that said "download software" and gave options of "ask before download" or "download without permission"

The 811 has other menus for HDTV that the other units dont have

I checked my older units that are laying around here (5000 & 4000) and both still have the option under "user preferences"

Not going into detail, just informing - there is a method to prevent from updating FW what is absolutely works.
I spent a lot of time to search and reading, found 8 years old posts ( at "Dark Side of The Moon" ) how to change HW ID to bogus value.

Sonicview 8000HD has a built in ATSC Tuner. Their website says, its Sharp NIM, but I'm not sure if its correct. Does anyone know, what exact ATSC Tuner model number is used in SV-8000HD? I looked under the hood, and this tuner has 2 ports: ANT IN and ANT OUT. However, there is no hole in SV-8000 back panel for ANT OUT connector. ANT IN connector is extended to protrude through the hole in the STB's back panel.

Does anyone check that this tuner's ANT OUT port actually works, i.e. can pass through undecoded ATSC signal to another TV? Does it work when the STB is switched OFF (power OFF)? What is the exact model of the extender component or similar, used to protrude ATSC Tuner's ANT IN port through the STB's back panel, and where to buy similar extender? I want to drill a second hole for ANT OUT port, but wonder if its supported by the receiver's firmware (or even needs to be supported)?

Due to lack of volunteers to hack into SV-8000HD hardware, I had no choice but to undertake this small project. By now the SV box is clean of all PCBs and such, and a nice hole has being drilled in its back panel to let the ATSC Tuner's ANT OUT port out of the box. There's a small problem though. The ANT IN port protrudes through the Back Panel via F-Quick to F-Female connector (extender) of longer size 1 1/4", and I can't find similar thing on the web. Anyone can suggest high quality 1000+ Mhz F-Quick to F-Female or F-Male to F-Female Adapter of non-standard 1 1/4"+ size, and where to buy one? Of course, I can use a coax patch, but it may look ugly.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure I follow what you are looking for (a photo would help), but your description made me think of my StarBox USB receiver. The f connector on the board is actually inside the case. Twinhan uses a male-female "riser" to bring a female connection to the outside of the case. Total length of this "riser" is about 1-1/2". Perhaps something like that would work? If so, I don't know where to buy one other than to salvage a StarBox USB receiver.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I already found on Fleabay the right component. It looks a bit ugly, but really nice for the job, though longer than optimal. I think its typical for many multi-tuner receivers to use some sort of extenders for optimal better vented tuner positioning. Some also hide extra features, revealed in more costly higher versions. What's not quite typical is an attempt to unveil such concealed or unused hardware functionality. Will see, if it brings success.

Attachments

• F male to F female long.JPG
    F male to F female long.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Cool, I hope it works for you! Mine is very similar in appearance, the main difference being that the threads do not run the whole length. Good luck-

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)