ATT TV NOW Box (Osprey)

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Ok, I have to say, I just bought this box from eBay. I was on the verge of cancelling att tv now because their Apps are horrific.
1. The Apple TV App constantly goes out of sync between the audio and video because the video frame rate suddenly drops and becomes very choppy. The app is practically useless. ATT acknowledges this one, but they haven't fixed it for months. Instead they have a temporary fix to disable 4k on the Apple TV.

2. The app sucks anyway. Very hard to navigate, zero ability to rewind live tv, etc. It's just very bad compared to the other streaming companies.

So I gave it a shot with the osprey box. Wow, much better than the app. For one, there are dedicated buttons on the remote, which make it much quicker and easier to use. You can jump right to a channel that you want by keying in the Chanel number (same as DTV numbers). It just runs way better than any of their apps.

But I have one issue with it that I am trying to figure out. HDMI-CEC volume when used with my denon AVR only does one increment at a time. Holding the volume switch on the remote doesn't continuously increase or decrease the volume. It works if I do it with IR, but that is not something that I will be able to keep since my AVR is not near my TV.
Has anyone had this issue or been able to figure out how to make HDMI-CEC volume have continuous control?

Glad to hear that the Osprey box is working well. I have my eye on AT&T TV (not AT&T TV Now), which comes with a free Osprey box, when it launches nationwide next month.

Sorry, I don't have any info to share about volume control via HDMI-CEC. Hopefully others can chime in.

But I'm wondering: when you use the Osprey with AT&T TV Now, can you pause and rewind live TV (on a show that you hadn't previously set up to record)? And when you FF and rewind (whether in live TV or a cloud DVR recording), do you get a thumbnail video preview on the timeline? Also, does the cloud DVR seem to work reliably or is it still buggy (like it was back when I was a beta tester for DirecTV Now a couple years ago)?

Do these work when you buy them off of eBay?

Not sure if I've ever seen some say. They should, IMO. The ones being sold on eBay are ones that were given to beta testers using DirecTV Now/AT&T TV Now. Those testers were told that they were theirs to keep and that they could continue using them with the service even after the beta test for the boxes concluded awhile back.

That said, if I were you, I'd hold off on buying one from eBay given that AT&T TV, their new flagship service that comes with one of these boxes for free, is rumored to officially launch nationwide next week. Maybe hold off and see how their offer compares to AT&T TV Now and/or if AT&T will begin selling these boxes new at their stores.

Mine works fine. I got it from eBay.
As for beta testing is is an android box and I assume it is a case of software, and not hardware.
Regardless, the TV works great with it.
The 3rd party Android apps run sluggish, but that’s another story.

If it comes out next week. They’ve said nothing. It’s weird.

AT&T brass confirmed in recent public remarks (earnings call or some such) that AT&T TV will debut in Feb. A lot of folks are thinking it will be next Tues., Feb. 11 because the fine print for the current promotional offers they have in place for AT&T TV in the pilot markets where it's already sold say they expire on that date. We'll see...

Reactions: DetFan
it will be interesting to see if they get back on roku devices since they lost the contract with roku. half of the streaming players out there today are rokus along with half of the new t.v.s sold!!! with out a roku app the success of att tv will be hindered!!! personally if i'm going to a streaming platform. i am gonna look at things like contracts promotions hidden fees device fee's ect ect ect. att hasn't sold me yet on there service id'e more than likely goto youtube tv!!! and like everything else att does it don't make no sense what so ever. they have att now att watch and now att tv. i think that will hurt att as well the confusion of brands like with ps vue..

it will be interesting to see if they get back on roku devices since they lost the contract with roku. half of the streaming players out there today are rokus along with half of the new t.v.s sold!!! with out a roku app the success of att tv will be hindered!!! personally if i'm going to a streaming platform. i am gonna look at things like contracts promotions hidden fees device fee's ect ect ect. att hasn't sold me yet on there service id'e more than likely goto youtube tv!!! and like everything else att does it don't make no sense what so ever. they have att now att watch and now att tv. i think that will hurt att as well the confusion of brands like with ps vue..
ATT will eventually do away with the streaming services that are doing nothing for them, just a matter of time (or raise the prices enough that subs will leave).

Does the box do a much better job skipping back and forward on the cloud dvr? I am trying out the ATT NOW app to get an idea of what the ATT TV service would be like. I'm trying to move from comcast since I have AT&T fiber in the area. What's really scaring me is that 2nd year of the 24 month contract when the discounts expire unlike comcast who gives the discounts throughout the entire 24 month contract.

Does the box do a much better job skipping back and forward on the cloud dvr? I am trying out the ATT NOW app to get an idea of what the ATT TV service would be like. I'm trying to move from comcast since I have AT&T fiber in the area. What's really scaring me is that 2nd year of the 24 month contract when the discounts expire unlike comcast who gives the discounts throughout the entire 24 month contract.
Yes it’s great. It even shows a little preview of where you are so that you know when to stop when fast forwarding a commercial.

There might not have been a good opportunity to test this yet, but how does this box behave as far as local channels go? If you go outside your area do you get local channels for where you are or your regular local channels? It seems to me one big advantage of this system is if you go somewhere else and want to take your TV with you all you need is internet access.

About the same which is great. Slightly better than YTTV too which also has great PQ. Haven't had it this good since I left directv years ago. I had been on xfinity the last 5 years for TV and towards the end it was just awful. The last straw was when they began compressing and reducing the resolution for my local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts