Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
I had a tech changing out my HD Dvr. He told me Att only, as of now, broadcasts
in 720.

Wow I thought it was 1080I???

That would be very dissapointing...

Anyone have clarification on this??

Joel:confused:

I would THINK that the resolution is channel dependent; NOT that U-verse is scaling all HD to 720p regardless of the originating resolution; that would just not make any sense at all IMHO. YOu should be able to do you own test by setting your receiver to native (or whatever AT&T's equal is) and then tune to a known 1080i network like CBS Sports and then pull up your TV's display menu and see what resolution its says it is getting input.

1080I

Cool, also, please post back what the result is, as you have my curiosity peaked.

Scott cleared this up.

He told me, 100 percent 1080I. He says his tv displays the exact resolution.
It displayed 1080I for Uverse HD.

Not sure why the tech was so possitive about his 720P claim. Plus this guy was a top tier supervisor.

If it was 720P I would disconnect Att immediatly.
I already have Dish, Direc. Why in the world would I downgrade?

Right?

Scott cleared this up.

He told me, 100 percent 1080I. He says his tv displays the exact resolution.
It displayed 1080I for Uverse HD.

Not sure why the tech was so possitive about his 720P claim. Plus this guy was a top tier supervisor.

If it was 720P I would disconnect Att immediatly.
I already have Dish, Direc. Why in the world would I downgrade?

Right?

720p isn't necessarily a downgrade from 1080i.

I agree with Jeff above me; but they should be passing it along as the originating channel gives it to them; which it seems they are.

I agree with Jeff above me; but they should be passing it along as the originating channel gives it to them; which it seems they are.

Ok, tell me why 720p is not a downgrade?

1080I, more lines per resolution right??..Sharper image better overall PQ.

Right??

Or am i missing something.

Ok, tell me why 720p is not a downgrade?

1080I, more lines per resolution right??..Sharper image better overall PQ.

Right??

Or am i missing something.

You can Google it for more technical details, but the 'i' stands for interlaced. This means the signal is refreshed 540 lines at a time (alternativing even/odd rows), 60 times per second. 720p (p=progressive) refreshes the full 720 lines 60 times per second.

Since the screen is updating fully, more often, with 720p, it's theoretically better for fast action scenes and especially sports. This is why ESPN, FOX, and ABC chose 720p as their native HD resolution.

For scenes that don't have a lot of rapid motion, you're right that 1080i gives a higher resolution than 720p.

You can Google it for more technical details, but the 'i' stands for interlaced. This means the signal is refreshed 540 lines at a time (alternativing even/odd rows), 60 times per second. 720p (p=progressive) refreshes the full 720 lines 60 times per second.

Since the screen is updating fully, more often, with 720p, it's theoretically better for fast action scenes and especially sports. This is why ESPN, FOX, and ABC chose 720p as their native HD resolution.

For scenes that don't have a lot of rapid motion, you're right that 1080i gives a higher resolution than 720p.

SEE POST #14 & #18

Last edited:
uverse is 1080I; if that "top level supervisor" told you that, he should be demoted to customer service!!! :eek::eek:

AND, JeffNIndy is perfectly correct in both of his posts..

720P is not necessarily a "downgraded" picture vs 1080I

Of course, if and when broadcasters start to show things in 1080P, THAT will be an entirely different comparison...

Chanels like ESPN HD were 720p on UVERSE, but those channels are only broadcast in 720p. Other channels which were in 1080i were displayed in1080i on UVERSE.

uverse is 1080I; if that "top level supervisor" told you that, he should be demoted to customer service!!! :eek::eek:

AND, JeffNIndy is perfectly correct in both of his posts..

720P is not necessarily a "downgraded" picture vs 1080I

Of course, if and when broadcasters start to show things in 1080P, THAT will be an entirely different comparison...

So is 1080i refreshed/drawn at the same rate as 720p? (POST #11)

Actually I was referring to your's and Indy's posts above about 720p scan rates vs 1080i scan rates and both being at 60 times per sec and I asked if 1080i was in fact 30?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)