Attenion 588 error message

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
I turned on my TV to find the Dish 622 displaying the following message.....

"Attention 588

If you wish to eliminate the per month additional outlet programming access fee, this receiver must be continuously connected to your land-based phone line or broadband connection."

First of all, up until I read on this website that the Ethernet port was enabled, I had never had the receiver connected to a phone line. I never ordered PPV and only connected it to Ethernet when Ethernet became available, just for the heck of it. Maybe someday I will order PPV or use the feature that allows me to schedule my DVR recordings from the net if that ever becomes available (maybe it is now?).

I have had the unit connected to Ethernet "continuously" for a few weeks now. So what if I disconnect it from Ethernet? I will be penalized? What are they talking about. There has never been an additional outlet fee on my bill. There is an additional receiver fee (we have 3 total) but not an additional outlet fee.

As far as connecting it to the phone line, the installer asked me if I wanted to connect it to order PPV as if it was an option. I have no landline in that room with the 622 so of course I said no. Since the room has Ethernet for a media center PC, Wii and 360 already, I figured why not connect the Ethernet.

Does anybody know what this message is all about and why it is popping up now?

On another note, why is TEST channel 5710 broadcasting Discovery HD?

Last edited:
The 622 has a second outlet and you will have to pay the fee for that if you do not connect a phone line.

As for 5710, not sure what that is about. It showed up in the Uplink Activity Report a short while ago.

The 622 has a second outlet and you will have to pay the fee for that if you do not connect a phone line.

I have never had a phone line hooked up and I have never paid the fee. I have had two TVs hooked up to it though since it was installed five or six months ago.

Never got a charge, never got this message, not until NOW. I think you missed my question. It specifically says phone line or Broadband. It IS hooked up to Ethernet. It never was before.

I just called tech support. I am getting the message because the box tried to call out the other day while it was disconnected from the Ethernet (while I changed the room around). I was told the box needs to be hooked up at all times to the phone line or Ethernet, as per the contract. But here is the thing, if you never have it hooked up to anything, you are fine, but if you hook it to the phone or Ethernet and then disconnect it, you are in trouble. Once you hook it up to something, you can never disconnect it or face paying the $5 fee. What logic!

Before talking to a supervisor, the idiot TSR blamed my ISP. I told her I was insulted since I do computers for a living and have an extensive network in my home, including webservers. When I called her out on passing the buck, she told me that she was just telling me what they told her to say.

The supervisor was cool though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts