Attention VOOMers switching to cable!

jgantert said:
Easy the 8000HD sucks a lot. The 8300HD sucks a little less. :D

Seriously, tho... the 8000 doesn't have DVI active, no SD & HD at the same time (except the copy to VCR function), firewire and USB are also inactive. The 8300 has active DVI (or is it HDMI?), simultanious SD & HD, and I think the Firewire is active as well.

Does yours have a problem with Dolby Digital on playbacks or timeshifting?

-John

Ha! So true... The 8300 pimps an HDMI port. I could not successfully connect my miniDV Sony camcorder to its firewire port. *grumbles*. Also I hear that when using HDMI, it DISABLES or SEVERELY DISRUPTS (still grumbling...) the other digital audio outputs. Seriously... How many people are using HDMI to carry digital audio? While we're there, how many people use it at all? SA should know better to pull a stunt like this. I do not have first hand experience with the digital audio problem, because mine is connected in a bedroom, nowhere near a receiver. Okie dokie...

Great thread

I was close to ordering DISH but decided against it

sticking with D* and Comcast cable HD

Verizon is busy bringing fiber to every home in my town by year's end and that is making Comcast try harder

I just got the SA 8000 from Comcast (still prefer my HD Tivo) and a Sony DHG-HDD500 coming today (I love CableCards)

Good things to come on the HD front :)

5412 ?

coolstrategist said:
Where does the Motorola 5412 dvr from Comcast rank? I just received service from them and this is the HD box they gave me. Should I seek another option?

Not sure if that was a typo or not, but it should be 6412. As far as problems go, if you ask comcast they will tell you it is top of the line and there are no problems. Everyone else seems to disagree. For myself, I have had very few problems with it. My only grip so far is that I cannot get sound on my analog stations in real time thru my A/V system. Get it on all of the digitals and playbacks tho. Called Comcast about it and they told me my receiver was the problem. How bad, or good, yours is will be the luck of the draw. Comcast does have a forum on their website, between there and here you should get a pretty good idea about this dvr. Hope yours turns out to be a good one. :)

It is the 6412. You are correct. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and have had no issues through my av system or any other issues. But everyone is talking about the 800 and 8300 and I still don't know where the 6412 is in the pecking order. If the others are substantially better (dvr, guide, interface, menu, resolution etc)maybe I should consider them.

"My only grip so far is that I cannot get sound on my analog stations in real time thru my A/V system. Get it on all of the digitals and playbacks tho"

Spa, I went through that when I first set my system up.

There is an obscure setting on my Sony rcvr which allows it to accept EITHER a designated digital input or an analog input. My STB would automatically switch from optical to analog if I tuned below 100. Took me awhile to figure out how to change the input mode on the rcvr. Has worked fine after that.

Lob

coolstrategist said:
But everyone is talking about the 800 and 8300 and I still don't know where the 6412 is in the pecking order.

Keep the new stuff, and tell us about it. That way, if it works better, I have a new reason to contact Time Warner to raise holy hell that my 8300 blows applechunks and that I should receive a free month's bill... :D

Thanks

[Spa, I went through that when I first set my system up.

There is an obscure setting on my Sony rcvr which allows it to accept EITHER a designated digital input or an analog input. My STB would automatically switch from optical to analog if I tuned below 100. Took me awhile to figure out how to change the input mode on the rcvr. Has worked fine after that.

Lob[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Lob, I'll check it out. I do have a setting for optical, analog, and coaxial. I've got it set on optical, had it on coaxial with that same results. Even tried composite and still no luck. I know I didn't have this problem with the old digital box with coaxial output. Comcast say's it's my A/V recvr. Go figure. :shocked

Try This For Analog Audio on Moto 6412

It happens on one of the inputs on the Motorla 6412. Hit "Swap" and then enter the analog channel and you should be fine with the audio via fiber optic. It does not occur when you record, but it happens when watching "Live" TV.

try this and let me know if it works for you. Good luck!

coolstrategist said:
Where does the Motorola 5412 dvr from Comcast rank? I just received service from them and this is the HD box they gave me. Should I seek another option?

I have the 6412, and it is a bit hit or miss on the firewire out. Sometimes my JVC D-VHS will lock up and not show or record the firewire signal. I was all set to get the unit replaced when the "tech support" person mentioned something after setting up the service call. That was unplugging the 6412, plugging back in, and then not doing anything for 10 minutes. This seemed strange.

I did that, and the D-VHS worked again. Not exactly what you want to have to do, but it worked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)