Audio difference with new 0290 update?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tchabt

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Los Angeles
Having gotten the new software update for my hr 21-100, I've noticed that there is a complete reversal between the audio on sd and hd channels. Before,the clarity and loudness on the hd channels was far superior to sd broadcasts. Now, it seems that sd is much louder than hd. I've had to turn the volume way up on all hd broadcasts to compensate. Is anyone else experiencing this? I know I'm not imagining this change!

Having gotten the new software update for my hr 21-100, I've noticed that there is a complete reversal between the audio on sd and hd channels. Before,the clarity and loudness on the hd channels was far superior to sd broadcasts. Now, it seems that sd is much louder than hd. I've had to turn the volume way up on all hd broadcasts to compensate. Is anyone else experiencing this? I know I'm not imagining this change!

I haven't watched a SD channel in about a year or so now, but the HD channels volume has NOT changed, at least at my place. :)

Jimbo

The typical volume level for a non-Dolby channel is 6dB higher than for a Dolby channel.

That's the way it always has been and that's how it is broadcast. Should be the same on cable, D*, E*, wherever. It was written into the Dolby specs that way, in order to allow more headroom for the wider dynamic range of Dolby.

The only difference so far has been a noticeable delay when using the guide & either changing the channel or hitting previous channel. The window in the upper right blends with the guide for a few seconds then switches to the channel.

Just to clarify the audio problem I'm hearing- In regard to all HD broadcasts, it's not just the volume that is lower, the overall presence and stereo width of the sound has been "broken" to the extent that SD audio has much more "presence". Now, I connect the HR 21 to my tv thru HDMI. From the TV I connect 2 analogue outs to 2 selfpowered stereo speakers with Dolby turned off. Again, as of today before this update, the hd broadcast sound was far superior to all the sd channels. Now after this update, all HD sound went out the window. If anyone has a similar setup or can offer any possible explanation, I'd surely appreciate it. Thanks!

yep i noticed this as well:

i posted this same thing at dbstalk.

for example i would always put the tv on sound level=22 for mike & mike on espn2 and it would be ok...now i have to go to 32.

i had dvrd star wars the clone wars and i watched it yesterday before the upgrade & i know i had it on 26.....i tried it today and had to put it all they way to 35 to get to the same volume level.

its like this on both tvs so its not the tv setting....something definately changed !!

the spaciality of the sound area isnt as good as before as well on the HDs.

Last edited:

Its been like that for me day one since I went with DTV nearly a year ago. All HD channels are louder than the SD channels. I did noticed last night that the problem appears to be worst that it was before though. I had to turn up the volume much higher than before.

HR21-700

I have the same problem since the upgrade and I have to double the volume on my stereo to get the same level I did before the upgrade.

My audio levels are definitely lower on my TV and through the home theater receiver...
I guess it doesn't matter to me, because I can adjust...

My lip-sync looks off again on the TV...

Ive had to crank mine, and the center channel seems wacky.

Being the difference in who's had it and whos not, plus the fact Ive been doing the CE for awhile, I wonder if a certain programming entity (Like Sinclair or Lin) just initiated something. Maybe thats why some are seeing and some arent, might not be the box. reason i say this is because I only notice it on OTA, not SatHD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts