Audio Drop-Outs on PrimeTime only

lwien123

Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
California
Ok, this is weird. Don't know if this has been asked before, but here it is.

I get intermittent audio dropouts when viewing recorded material from PrimeTime. The audio drop-outs are not recorded in that I can rewind and the dropout disappears.

These dropouts do not occur when I'm watching live TV, nor do they occur on any other recordings. It only happens on recordings from Primetime.

Thoughts?

Edit: I goggled this issue and found someone else kinda asking the same question and a Dish tech/rep asked if this only happened on PrimeTime or if it happens on all recordings. While the poster replied that it happened on all recordings, including live TV, I found it interesting that the tech would ask specifically if this happened only on Primetime, which leads me to believe that this is a known issue?

Last edited:
Are you using Optical out from the Hopper. There is a known problem with that connection.

Yeah, I am aware of the optical out issue but this is different in that I am only using HDMI for both audio and video and it ONLY occurs with PrimeTime recordings. All recordings outside of PrimeTime do not exhibit this issue.

How long have you had your current setup? When did this start acting up? Were there any changes made before it started? What is your setup? Have you tried a different HDMI port? Need more details to try and help.

How long have you had your current setup? When did this start acting up? Were there any changes made before it started? What is your setup? Have you tried a different HDMI port? Need more details to try and help.

Same problem here.

1. Since May 2012.
2. August, 2012.
3. None.
4. HDMI from Hopper to Yamaha RX-810. HDMI from Yamaha to TV.
5. Yes. Also different HDMI cable.

Hopper audio Decoder set to PCM/Digital, Volume Leveling set to Disable. It occurs intermittently, on some recordings, once every two to three minutes, on others, not at all.

It also occurs on non PTAT local channel recordings. Frequency: about 70% of recordings.

Last edited:
I've had audio & video breakup issues while viewing live on the PTAT channels during it's active hours on 2 different Hopper units. Does not occur every night but when it does, the interruptions are recorded as well. My setup is all high quality HDMI through a Denon 4310ci receiver. I've found a successful work-around to be using the red remote button to "join" the program content which, is being recorded and runs several seconds behind live content. Doing so works 100%. I've given up on a real solution.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Replaced my 722 (which I had for 5 years and never exhibited this problem going through the exact same HDMI cable and going through the same port on the Pioneer receiver) with the Hopper 2 weeks ago.

Same problem here.

It also occurs on non PTAT local channel recordings. Frequency: about 70% of recordings.

Hmmm...........I havent tried recording locals outside of PTAT. Will try that and see if occurs there as well. If it does, than it's a local channel issue more than a PTAT issue.

I just arrived back in out home area to have PTAT recording. I have observed an issue on ABC and FOX where the audio only has the background music and not the speaking through the Sony surround sound system. CBS appears okay.

The audio from the TV directly is okay but that is not 5.1 decoded.

The Sony is connected to the Hopper with an optical cable.

I have not observed any sound probelms with anything outside of PTAT.