Audio Sync & Signal Strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digitalgm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
All,

I just finished installing my dish the other day. Due to some complications (screws breaking off) I was not able to get a perfectly plumb mast and had to tweak the alignment by hand. Because of this I was only able to attain a signal of 78 on the meter.

My questions :

1) I have noticed some audio sync problems on HD chans - would my poor signal strength be to blame?

2) I was watching Oceans 12 yesterday on MaxW (non-hd) and the picture looked pretty bad - almost like a really compressed MPEG file or even an older VHS tape. Would my signal strength have anything to do with this?

Thanks!
AdamR

I would really appreciate someone answering this ... I am going nuts! :)

For #1, if you got a H20 STB did you take the software upgrade? There's one out there that's supposed to have a fix for audio sync problems.

For #2, what you see is basically it and having a HD set makes things look worst. It's been recommended in the past to connect via S-Video or composit connections to watch SD material.

rad, thanks VERY MUCH for your reply.

#1 As soon as I plugged my H20 in, the software upgrade downloaded. I am not sure what version it was or how to check it though. Is there a possibility that my audio sync is related to my signal level?

#2 I have certainly heard that before - is there any chance though that my PQ is related to my signal level?

Thank you!

AdamR

I don't believe that a low signal reading would cause an audio sync problem. Is the problem with all HD channels, just OTA or just D*?

As for the SD picture quality, a low signal level would cause breakup/marcoblocking/freezes, not poor picture quality.

rad, thanks again for the reply!

#1 - The problem is with D* HD channels (I dont have an OTA antenna)

#2 - Awesome! Thanks!

AdamR

Adam, if you've taken the software upgrade then I'd call D* and log a problem with them and see what they say. Good luck!

rad said:
Adam, if you've taken the software upgrade then I'd call D* and log a problem with them and see what they say. Good luck!
I will do just that... thanks again for your help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)