Audio through H21/HR21 -HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enragedalbinoyak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Does the H(R)21's HDMI output stream audio as well as video? I know a lot of devices that only do video, but I'm getting a new HDMI switching audio reciever, and I'm wondering if I'm gonna need 3 ports (Xbox elite, PS3, HR21) or just the two...

Yes, the HDMI ports also pass audio along with video. But the fiber and coax (HR20-700 doesn't have coax) is also hot if HDMI is used so you could always run HDMI to the TV and fiber to the receiver.

Yes, the HDMI ports also pass audio along with video. But the fiber and coax (HR20-700 doesn't have coax) is also hot if HDMI is used so you could always run HDMI to the TV and fiber to the receiver.
That's what I do now. My new receiver will have HDMI, currently just my TV does.

I'm shopping for a new receiver now. With the news that the PS3 will be handling DTS-MA internally, I will no longer need a receiver to do it (and a new blu ray player) so I can buy that new receiver next month.

Make sure the flavor of HDMI your new "switching" audio receiver boasts is the pass-through flavor; some do just video. I am sure know already know this, but some don't. What make & model are you looking at?

On my receiver you have a choice whether to pass the audio through to the TV or have the receiver process it and play through your surrounds. I have 3 HR20s going into it with HDMI cables and 3 other units using Coax and optical, everything sounds good. The other units go to the TVs via component.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)