August 9, 1988- One of the biggest sports days ever

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
We are approaching the 20-year anniversary of two of the most significant events in sports history.

1. Wrigley Field finally added light.

2. Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings.

Since most of us have baseball and hockey interests, I'm sure we all remember when Wrigley added lights and the Great Gretzky went West.

(BTW, Gretzky's first game as a King was against Detroit. I'm sure Jimbo and Paul remember that.)

What do YOU guys remember about these significant events?

Also, which event was much bigger, in terms of the short and long term- Gretzky's trade or Wrigley finally playing a night game?

I think I remember that first Wrigley Field night game and how it got rained out after a little bit of play.

I can't comment on the Wrigley v. Gretzky part since I'm not a hockey fan.

I remember Harry Caray had just a little too much to drink for the first Wrigley Night game.

Wrigley backwards is Yelgirw. Isn't that right Steve Stone? Holy Cow, who turned on the lights!

We are approaching the 20-year anniversary of two of the most significant events in sports history.

1. Wrigley Field finally added light.

2. Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings.

Since most of us have baseball and hockey interests, I'm sure we all remember when Wrigley added lights and the Great Gretzky went West.

(BTW, Gretzky's first game as a King was against Detroit. I'm sure Jimbo and Paul remember that.)

What do YOU guys remember about these significant events?

Also, which event was much bigger, in terms of the short and long term- Gretzky's trade or Wrigley finally playing a night game?

Sorry, Sabres. These events meant absolutely nothing to me. August 9, 1988 was just another day for me.

And what took so long for Wrigley to get electricity? Wasn't that available since 1752 by the crafty discovery by Mr. Franklin? ;)

I could care less about Wrigely, but that's just me.

I do vividly remember the Gretzky trade though and the press confrence with Wayne shedding a few tears. I also remember his debut against the Wings, it was kind of exciting waiting for that game.

Pretty much the biggest thing I took from that (I was only 11 in 1988) was that no matter how great an athlete, how much mean to a team/city.... Money will always trump that if it comes down to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)