Austin TX - new guy question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmcain100

Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I just switched from Dish to DirectTV. I really like it so far. One of the reasons I switched is because I couldn't get locals in HD on Dish. However, now that I am with Direct, I have noticed that I don't get the NBC affiliate in HD (KXAN 36). Am I missing something? I have the SD version... have they not inked a deal with D? If you live in the Austin area or you know about this please let me know.

Thanks,
Mat

Welcome to D*. Ah, KXAN, they happen to be owned by LIN Broadcasting, along with CH 54/KNVA. LIN feels that DirecTV and Dish need to pay more then either company is willing to spend in order to receive retransmission consent. The same type of thing recently went on between KXAN and Suddenlink cable up in Georgetown which resulted in KXAN being removed completly from their channel line up.

You probably got a HR21 or H21 HD receiver from DirecTV, correct? That receiver doesn't have a built in ATSC tuner which would allow you to hook up an over the air antenna and get KXAN. There's supposed to be a AM21 module coming out in the next month or so that would hook up to the HR21 1st, and the H21 at some future date, and allow for ATSC over the air reception, price to be around $60.

well, that stinks.... so they seem to be ok with the SD version they just want D to pay more for HD... Any chance that will change in the future?

I am not sure what box I have- it is a HDDVR. I didn't notice anything i the menu that looked like it was excepting of a over the air antenna... If D adds the module you are talking about will we be able to record the OTA signal on the DVR?

Thanks for the info.... Where do I register my complaint with KXAN? Why is there HD signal worth so much more? Channel 42 is the only one broadcasting local news in HD.... That stinks.

However, will all this change with the Digital change-over? When they cease offering an analog version they will either give up the HD or not let D have it all - right?

Those stink'n HD Natzis

Mat

Is your HDDVR black or silver? If silver then it's a HR20 and you can hook up an OTA antenna and if you can receive the a signal you'll be set. If it's black then it's a HR21 with no OTA and you need to wait for the AM21. The AM21 connects to the HR21 via a USB port and will fully intergrate with the HR21 with guide info and recording capabilities.

You can try sending an e-mail to KXAN via their web site but don't hold your breath. LIN is withholding rights on the majority of their stations all across the country and hasn't budged.

As for what will happen 2/2009, don't know what will happen then.

I got the black one - so I guess I am out of luck. (at least until next month). I have a silver box in the bedroom bit it isn't HD.... Well, Thanks for the info Rad.

I'd recommend calling DirecTV and ask them if they can replace your HR21 with a HR20 since they don't carry NBC HD in Austin. If when you signed up the sales person said that they did then you might want to mention that since you were not told factual information then. If they won't swap maybe they have a waiting list of people that want to get a AM21 when they become available.

I got the black one - so I guess I am out of luck. (at least until next month). I have a silver box in the bedroom bit it isn't HD.... Well, Thanks for the info Rad.

First, welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If your TV has a built-in ATSC tuner you can plug an OTA antenna feed directly into your TV and get all your local channels (including KXAN) in HD.

If it doesn't have an ATSC tuner, then you'll have to go back to D* and see if you can work something out to get either an HR20 or an H20.

Once again, welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)