Auto Hop Explained

Dish can claim in a court of law that they at least give the viewers a chance to view netork ads while Comcat does not, so if Dish hop skip is not legal then comcast on demand offer is not legal, thus this feature is legal the way dish has it set up.
Not really, Comcast has a contract to do what they are doing with on demand. Comcast is paying for the show outright, has some sort of shared revenue agreement on the ads, or some combo of the two.

So it only works on SELECT shows?
This should work on all programs during PTAT except local news or sporting events.

We might have to give it a day before it catches up (or possibly there's some sort of bug).

Commercial breaks are always in 30 second increments, but the total time varies.
Not to nitpick, but in the interest of completeness, some commercials are only 15 seconds in length, thus its possible that the entire commercial break can be other than a 30-second increment.

Okay, I guess I may have seen some that were 15-seconds as well.... but NEVER by themselves. I'm certain that commercial breaks or blocks are always going to be 60-second minimum, be it (4) x 15-second, (2) x 15 + (1) x 30, etc, etc :D

But I know I've seen commercial blocks that run like 3 minutes, 15 seconds total, not a 30-second increment. Just saying...

I have to agree, there are times it's X minutes & 15 seconds, but I also would say a majority of the time it's the local channel talking about what's coming up on the newscast, then it goes back to the program.

Since I've been spending a lot of time transferring shows to DVD and editing out commercials, I'm going to pull the expert card here. :) Currently on ION (no local newscast), when I use my DVDR HDD to edit out commercials, there are plenty of times I have to skip forward (1:00) 4 times, and then skip back (0:15) 3 times, for a total of 3:15. I've seen other channels, both broadcast and cable, with similar varying commercial block lengths. I think many times it has to do with the varying total lengths of each episode.

Pages in a newspaper and the length of a program are dictated by sold advertising not news or programing. Nobody in media really cares anymore about content anymore, it's all about revenue. That's why "Auto Hop" will eventually raise hell with programing cost. The revenue lapse caused by this feature will be carried on the backs of the consumer, regardless if it actually exist or not....write it down...:coffee

Although I'm sure there is some sort of flags,seems to me it would be pretty easy to distinguish a commercial from the show simply by the volume level.

Now have to get out of habit of not forwarding during commercials :)

I usually keep my remote on the chair arm so I have good finger access to the skip button. I watched last night's Idol this afternoon with auto hop, and put the remote on the table. It is very cool....

I usually keep my remote on the chair arm so I have good finger access to the skip button. I watched last night's Idol this afternoon with auto hop, and put the remote on the table. It is very cool....

Yea wife was watching a show getting ready to use the fast forward button had to put the remote down

Had to go the old way since I am watching a PTAT show from earlier tonight, miss the auto hop feature :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)