Auto hop without ptat

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
So i just noticed a "hopper" icon on some of my dvr recordings. They are on all the shows that were recorded from one of the networks. I started watching a show and before it started i was asked whether i wanted to enable auto hop. I have just enabled ptat to record nbc on fridays. So my question is how an i able to auto hop everything else? Btw, this friday will be the first friday shows will record via ptat.

AutoHop will work on all applicable recordings with PTAT enabled no matter what days or channels are selected.

At this point, I'm not sure why Auto-Hop is still tied to PTAT at all.
Depending on who you believe, one method suggested for how AutoHop is implemented is that people at Dish watch (recordings - so they can fast-forward, etc) all of the prime-time shows and add markers telling the DVR where to skip and stop. This way, they've restricted the feature to 12-18 shows per day (a mix of mostly 1-hour shows with some 1/2-hour shows).

I have just enabled ptat to record nbc on fridays.
Someone (here ?) noticed this and posted this within weeks or months of the Hopper being released. You can enable PTAT for the absolute minimum time, i.e. one day of the week and just one network, and ALL shows that are aired during primetime (8-11pm) on the big 4 networks will be AutoHop-able.

Yesterday was my first experience with auto hop. I was sort of disappointed. For whatever reason, i was under the impression that a 1 hour show would be condensed to ~45 mins. And that the recording would by pass the commercials all together. Instead they are just skipped in the same way as i would skip them using the remote.

That's right - because Dish doesn't want to prevent you from seeing commercials, just give you the option to skip them (I am sure for legal reasons)

And that the recording would by pass the commercials all together. Instead they are just skipped in the same way as i would skip them using the remote.
BINGO this is why I can't understand why the Networksare so upset at DISH for the AutoHop feature for. It is no different then hitting skip yourself. Its not that big of a deal.

If you the customer dont want to see the commercial you can skip them, its been that way for over 10 years now... the networks want to stop this practice which to me is silly. The Genie is out of the bottle.

Yesterday was my first experience with auto hop. I was sort of disappointed. For whatever reason, i was under the impression that a 1 hour show would be condensed to ~45 mins. And that the recording would by pass the commercials all together. Instead they are just skipped...
NO ONE is legally allowed to "modify" the broadcasts. If you do, by removing the commercials, for example, that's considered a modification. Note that it's the *broadcast* this applies to, not just the "program".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Someone (here ?) noticed this and posted this within weeks or months of the Hopper being released. You can enable PTAT for the absolute minimum time, i.e. one day of the week and just one network, and ALL shows that are aired during primetime (8-11pm) on the big 4 networks will be AutoHop-able.

Yep, but then why to we have to enable PTAT at all to get auto-hop ?

The auto-hop data seems to be downloaded overnight. I noticed that if I move shows to the external HDD before the download I don't get Auto-Hop.

Dish, likely for legal reasons, forces the user to turn on just about EVERY feature related to this option. That way, the networks can't claim "Dish did it".

I think it's a very smart thing to do, too. Sure it's annoying having to enable PTAT just for AutoHop, but it beats not having the option at all...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

NO ONE is legally allowed to "modify" the broadcasts. If you do, by removing the commercials, for example, that's considered a modification. Note that it's the *broadcast* this applies to, not just the "program". Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What about a local affiliate 'modifying' the actual show by deleting pieces of it to insert more commercials?

Our CW affiliate in Alaska has been doing this for the last 2.5-3 years, despite numerous reports to CW about them, nothing has changed... Yet Dish is sued 6 ways to Sunday over auto-hop.

Want me to speculate ? They either have permission to do so (not likely) or CW doesn't care enough to investigate (considering they've been told of the practice).

This same affiliate also handles ABC. Sunday they deleted an entire segment of "Once Upon a Time". Lets see if ABC cares...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)