Avenger PLL321S-2 versus GeoSatpro SL1 PLL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Bought a GeoSatPro SL1 PLL LNB at a local sat shop a couple of months ago. I have wanted to try one out for a while and compare it to the Avenger PLL321S-2 PLL LNB.
Removed the Avenger LNB off the 33” motorized dish and installed the SL1. Remembered to reset the LNB type to Standard 10750 in antenna setup.
Initially did not notice much difference in S and Q, maybe slightly higher in Q.
Two strange things happened,
Blind scanning 89W I got a whole bunch of scrambled channels off Bell from 91W. The Avenger did not scan in the Bell channels.
During a blind scan of 125W the SL1 would NOT scan in TP 12106 which is the Montana PBS. The Avenger did blind scan in Montana PBS.
I will continue using the SL1 for a while and do some more comparisons.

My 33” test dish blew off the deck and got twisted out of shape. I decided to aim it at 125W. First I tired the SL1 and had great difficulty to lock on to 125. Could not get Montana PBS. Slapped on the Avenger and WOW what a difference. There was Montana PBS and all the other PBS channels.

Obviously this is not a very scientific method of testing, however it is a real world user test.
The only advantage so far for the “standard” SL1 is it does not tie up the 22khz tone function as does the “universal” Avenger.
The SL1 cost me $20 versus the Avenger at $12.

I have 3 Avenger LNBs and I am quite happy with their performance.

Think what you're experiencing is the greater weak signal performance of the SL1 Pll. So it's really adjacent interference that's the problem. 33inch dish beamwidth is greater than 2°.
I noticed, right away, that aiming my 30 inch dish was a lot more critical. Adjacent satellite interference and sometimes scanning in channels on adjacent channels.
My experience - Put it on a bigger dish (90cm and up) and you'll see normally weak TP's boosted in Q. High Q Tp's not changed that much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts