Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I bought the Thermaltake Mobile fan and have it running on the front left side as you look at the receiver. It is pulling hot air from the dvr and is working quite well! I like the Thermaltake a lot!

I bought the Vantec Ultra Silent Compact Notebook Cooler and slid it under the unit
It's taken a case that you could fry eggs on down to almost no heat and the minimum dropped about 15 degrees

Not sure if it's helping but it sure feels like it is

Our AC blew out yesterday and while recording 2 shows at once the unit hit 145F!
The picture froze and a nag message stated that it was too hot and to give it ventalation or the system could fail.

I think it will be better in the future if the 222 would be the flagship box. This way the HD could be put in a cooler spot and Dish wont have to service or replace the units because of HD heat problems.

I bought the Vantec Ultra Silent Compact Notebook Cooler and slid it under the unit
It's taken a case that you could fry eggs on down to almost no heat and the minimum dropped about 15 degrees

Not sure if it's helping but it sure feels like it is

How do you power this product? Will it power off the 622 USB port? Does the 622 have a USB port?

If so this sounds like the ideal solution - thanks!!

Most notebook coolers will run on the 5 volts available at either USB port on the 622 (one on the back panel and one under the door on the front). They usually have a USB plug to make the connection for you. Some of us have experimented with other options. Both 5 and 12 volts are available at the internal power supply connections for internal fan options.

Heat is an accelerating factor for the reliable lifespan of any electronic component, so reducing heat is almost always a positive move...

Our AC blew out yesterday and while recording 2 shows at once the unit hit 145F!
The picture froze and a nag message stated that it was too hot and to give it ventalation or the system could fail.

I think it will be better in the future if the 222 would be the flagship box. This way the HD could be put in a cooler spot and Dish wont have to service or replace the units because of HD heat problems.

That's fine for the HD but what about the Broadcom chipsets that are cooking away without even passive heatsinks? This where the real problem is and the most heat comes from.

What's the operating temperature limit on the Broadcom chips? Somebody recorded earlier that the surface temp was running upwards of 80c.
Last year I measured the center of the largest BC chip at about 160 F (~71C) consistently with the cover on and no ventillation. I once recorded 170 F (~77C) but did not see that peak repeat. (See my post 163 in this thread, pg. 17). I now run the system with the cover off and 3 fans blowing down into the unit, and that same chip is typically around 120F (~49C) or less. BC never responded to my query re: max. rated temp. for those chips...

The temps we see in the Diag screen is the HD temp, and the warning screen which I believe is in the latest software also referes to the HD. I'm sure the BC chips can take the heat, the HD cant.

BC never responded to my query re: max. rated temp. for those chips...

I was on their website earlier and every chip that had a spec sheet with operating temps on them maxed at 70c.

This makes sense because I was reading an article on the effects of heat on semiconductors and I seem to remember that above 70c the subatomic physics of the semiconductor material start to suffer from particle migration and some other quantum physics problems.

Good info! I think that limit is applicable to the commercial/consumer goods we're discussing. I'm rather certain that semis have a higher rating for industrial and military applications, but I don't pretend to know how that is attained.

I wish I had a recorder to measure the temps. of interest over time and under different conditions. Regardless, I think we have enough evidence that the current design operates these BC chips near their limits and that can't be good for long term reliability. I have to wonder how many "glitch" problems reported with the 622 are caused by excessive heat in these chips. There may even be some hard failures that could have been avoided.

I still need to follow through with the rest of my "project" as outlined in my aforementioned post. In the interim, those chips are running a good bit cooler with the cover off and 24/7 forced cooling and I have to think there is no downside to that other than the minimal upfront cost of those fans and the marginal extra power consumption. The HDD might be a bit better off as well...

The temps we see in the Diag screen is the HD temp, and the warning screen which I believe is in the latest software also referes to the HD. I'm sure the BC chips can take the heat, the HD cant.

Yes, you are correct... (about the HDD)

AND

The hard drive is directly above the largest Broadcom chip.

Genius designers...

I simply don't understand how they could just plain ignore the maximum temperature rating of the chips and the HDD...this is beyond my imagination. How can people be so ignorant? The damn chips are rated at a max of 70 degrees and NOT at 100+. Then spend a few cents and put a damn heat sink on it at least!:mad:

I did short analysis of the airflow in 622, but they didn't pay attention :). There are a few simple things what could be easy implemented if that mechanical engineer had a little knowledge not just how to make HDD holder, but how to cool down whole box.

OT - but after seeing your GIF picture... you do know that Get Smart is being remade and due next summer :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)