Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Didn't you get a mit in the box when you first opened your 622?

;)

Yeah, no kidding, they should include one :D

Don't get me wrong, the 622 is an awesome DVR! But the damn thing runs friggin hot!!

Ours is in a cabinet with a glass door, and during the first week that I had it, it got so hot I could barely touch it and it would crash regularly. I cut a couple of large holes in the rear panel of the cabinet, but it didn't help much. I had to keep the cabinet door open to provide sufficient cooling.

Finally I ordered a large computer case fan from Coolermasters that is adapted for 120v power, and attached it to the rear of the cabinet over one of the holes I cut. Now, finally I can close my cabinet door and the 622 stays reasonably cool. The only problem is now I have to find somewhere else to fry my eggs and bacon in the morning. :rolleyes:

If I have to use an oven mit to handle my 622, should I even bother reading what the counter says?

Spend $30 on a Targus USB laptop cooler. It will make ALL of the difference in the world, although your solution works too!

But the 622 is not along in having problems with enclosed cabinets.

Spend $30 on a Targus USB laptop cooler. It will make ALL of the difference in the world, although your solution works too!

But the 622 is not along in having problems with enclosed cabinets.

My only complaint is that Dish is not up-front about this. Even the installer didn't say anything when he put the 622 in the cabinet and shut the door. They leave it to the users to figure it out, and that isn't right. They'd save themselves a lot of headache if they just provide cabinet fans as part of the install procedure.

My only complaint is that Dish is not up-front about this. Even the installer didn't say anything when he put the 622 in the cabinet and shut the door. They leave it to the users to figure it out, and that isn't right. They'd save themselves a lot of headache if they just provide cabinet fans as part of the install procedure.

I understand, but the issues are the same for other AV equipment too - like a good Receiver. Gonna generate head.

I ended up eliminating cabinets and went to an open air B'Ello system. But it has problems with dust.

I wish I didn't need a cooler for the 622, but given how much I put that device through, with daily recordings - sometimes from 2 HD tuners and 1 OTA HD tuner at the same time, I think its ok to baby it and worth my expense. ;)

Would anyone install a PC in an enclosed cabinet ?? DVRs are computers/receivers nowadays.... That applies to most, if not all, DVRs too. I had (2) Scientific Atlanta 8000 units fail on me within 12 months. They were in an armoire. When I got the 3rd one, we moved the TV and receiver and that DVR lasted 12+ months (until I switched back to Dish). During that same time I had an 8000HD and an 8300HD and neither failed. I "upgraded" to the 8300HD. Nothing was really wrong with the 8000HD. They're in an open rack/shelf unit.

I hotwired a 40mm dc fan to a usb cable and hung the fan on the left side near the front and plugged it into the usb port. It pulls air out of the DVR and my average is down to 107F consistently now.

I got my replacement 622 (because of an HDMI port that never worked). Out of the box, it was 116/77/96. After several hours of operation it went to 123/77/104. I just put a laptop cooler under it and I will report any changes.

PS. My old one had gone from 134/116/122 to 129/109/114, after using the cooler for awhile.

My temps:

High:120
Low:93
Average:109

My secret?

I live in Northern Maine and use the all natural, "Heating oil costs an arm and a leg and I am freezing my @ss up here" method.
I will probably have different temp numbers in the summer (July 2nd-July 5th) being that the area where the DVR is located once was an attic and has no A/C and minimal air circulation...............

It looks like several folks are making some significant progress on the 622's heat management "problem". I put that in quotes because we probably don't have any hard evidence yet that excessive heat has actually caused a failure.

I can tell you that my 622 *will* fail if it's not kept cool. If anything is under it (receiver, DVD player etc) or it's not raised up 1/2" off what it's sitting on, it will either refuse to play at all or will play for a while then quit. Usually affects SD programming (Sirius and regular TV), and sometimes HD as well. Blank screen w/sound, or sometimes nothing at all. Rebooting usually does nothing, or nothing for more than a few minutes. OTA works fine all the time.

I had techs here three or four times replacing switches, checking wiring, replacing LNB etc. etc. to no avail. Finally got the bright idea (before joining here) to put the thing out on its own in the room with some wood strips to lift it off the rug. It worked flawlessly for a week or so until the switch went bad - signals in the 50 range don't work so well.

So after replacing the switch, it seemed happy for another week or so. Then it started "freezing" or blanking again. Techs came a fifth time, re-aligned the dish, and signals were in the 90-115 range. Great! It worked for about an hour... then quit. Over and over. Called Dish, gave them an earful and was about to have the techs out yet again ... when I noticed they had taken it off the little stands & put it right on the carpet. D'oh!

Put a small room fan in front of it and raised it back up ... and it started back up and has been playing all day.

Bought a laptop cooler & will install that & keep you posted. Current temps: 134/111/127 (ouch).

- Paul

I can tell you that my 622 *will* fail if it's not kept cool. If anything is under it (receiver, DVD player etc) or it's not raised up 1/2" off what it's sitting on, it will either refuse to play at all or will play for a while then quit. Usually affects SD programming (Sirius and regular TV), and sometimes HD as well. Blank screen w/sound, or sometimes nothing at all. Rebooting usually does nothing, or nothing for more than a few minutes. OTA works fine all the time.

I had techs here three or four times replacing switches, checking wiring, replacing LNB etc. etc. to no avail. Finally got the bright idea (before joining here) to put the thing out on its own in the room with some wood strips to lift it off the rug. It worked flawlessly for a week or so until the switch went bad - signals in the 50 range don't work so well.

So after replacing the switch, it seemed happy for another week or so. Then it started "freezing" or blanking again. Techs came a fifth time, re-aligned the dish, and signals were in the 90-115 range. Great! It worked for about an hour... then quit. Over and over. Called Dish, gave them an earful and was about to have the techs out yet again ... when I noticed they had taken it off the little stands & put it right on the carpet. D'oh!

Put a small room fan in front of it and raised it back up ... and it started back up and has been playing all day.

Bought a laptop cooler & will install that & keep you posted. Current temps: 134/111/127 (ouch).

- Paul

This is insane. Send that POS back to Juarez.......................:)

I have had mine running for almost a year now with the cover off and a 3-fan laptop cooler blowing into it. Under that condition I know the top surface temp. of that Broadcom decoder chip (the big one) doesn't get over about 125 deg. F whereas I measured it at around 170F with the cover on and the system running. I don't know if that temp. difference makes a performance difference as far as reducing "glitches", but I know that the higher temp. certainly can't help! Heat is definitely an accelerator in terms of shortening electronic component lifetime...

I bought a low noise case fan and use it to suck the warm air out of the left side of my 622. The top of the case barely fells warm and My temps are:

HDD High Temp: 120 F
HDD Low Temp: 96 F
HDD Average Temp: 107 F

This is a version "B" that has worked very well for me now for 15 months.

Of course when I plugged an HDMI cable up to it it took about 15 minutes for it to fail, but that's another story. I have decided not to call Dish about the HDMI problem because otherwise it has been very stable.

2 months

It's been 2 months since I did my 1st post in this thread. At that time my temps were:
H 140
L 105
AV 123
Since then I have added the Targus laptop cooler. They are now:
H 138
L 111
AV 123
Boy, I'm sure glad I spent that $ 17. Sure made a lot of difference not. :D Really beginning to think that the unit is designed to carry an AV of around 107 - 113 just about no matter what is done. Of course if one goes to the extremes of either putting it in a closed area with no ventilation or taking the cover off (voiding warranty) and putting some sort of "wind tunnel" effect to it it will change. Not sure reducing the temps by a couple of degrees is going to make a lot of difference.

It's been 2 months since I did my 1st post in this thread. At that time my temps were:
H 140
L 105
AV 123
Since then I have added the Targus laptop cooler. They are now:
H 138
L 111
AV 123
Boy, I'm sure glad I spent that $ 17. Sure made a lot of difference not. :D Really beginning to think that the unit is designed to carry an AV of around 107 - 113 just about no matter what is done. Of course if one goes to the extremes of either putting it in a closed area with no ventilation or taking the cover off (voiding warranty) and putting some sort of "wind tunnel" effect to it it will change. Not sure reducing the temps by a couple of degrees is going to make a lot of difference.

That is kind of strange. I have had very good luck with the targus chillmat. It has brought avg temp to about 110.

Laptop coolers aren't meant to run 24/7 though that shouldn't affect their cooling power initially. When I first got mine, it took what seemed like a few weeks before the 622 adjusted and recalculated it's temp numbers before I got "good" temps.

That said, I've had mine for hmmm... I'm not sure, 6-9 months ?? I turned it off a couple of weeks ago 'cause it sounded like it was dying (slight grinding noise like the bearings on the fan shaft were going). I got mine on sale at Office Depot or somewhere for around $13 so I'm not too upset.

I'll check and post my current numbers (they should be higher than my last post in this thread) and then post numbers in a week or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)