Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Hi 127
Lo 73
Av 105

I've only had my 622 for about a week now and it is in an enclosed cabinet with a glass door. I did remove the back of the cabinet for better ventilation. The unit is on a shelf by itself and has about 5" clearance above and 2" on each side.

Those running higher temps may not see problems for a while. Running ICs at higher than optimal temperatures does not kill them immediately, rather it shortens their life. Likewise for hard drives. You can kill them quickly if the temps are way too high, but normally what happens is that the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) drops.

So if you have 100 units running within recommended temps, you might have 3-5 failures due to various reasons.

If you have another 100 units running 10-15 degrees above recommended temps, you might have 15-20 failures over the same time period.

In an email reply Dish said the 'optimal' temperature is between 100-135. It seems the high end is just a tad too high. But thats me ;-)

By touch the machine is running much cooler since improving ventilation but the temp numbers havent changed yet. Perhaps they wont. It does feel the warmest when recording of course.

I think "acceptable" is a better word than "optimal". The high end is just that, the high end. It won't damage the unit (short-term) by running at 135' full-time in Dish's opinion though no one can deny that running it at a cooler temperature is better in the long-term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)