Test RG6 for 3000Mhz using purchased Hopper

Grandude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA
I'm getting very close to upgrading to H/J system.
I want to verify that all my cables will work, specifically the two to my primary TV and one to my back bedroom TV.

My questions are:

1. If I purchase a Hopper and single or duo node, will I be able to test that the three lines will work up to 3000Mhz or will I need to have a Joey installed too for the test?

The cabling in my house is so very difficult that I think an installer might not complete the install if he found we needed to pull new cables. (House on slab and truss attic and no access to outside walls within attic)

2. Will the testing with one Hopper pretty much prove that the cables are OK without activating that simple system as I would want to continue using my VIP stuff until an installer came to install another Hopper/Joey to do the official install?

Hopper with sling now two hundred at Dish Depot making this an interesting exercise, I know I would need to get a single or duo node adding to the cost a little for my test system.

3. Are 75ohm terminators really needed if lots of ports on node will have no connections?

My final system as planned in my mind would be two and maybe three Hoppers and two Joeys.

If my current cables aren't OK, I will then be able to take my time and do the attic crawling, etc. to get the cables upgraded and then call Dish for the install.

1. Joeys don't need 3GHz cabling. Only Hopper needs 3GHz cabling (for the third tuner.)

2. Yes. Testing a Hopper and its node together on a line should give you an idea of whether or not the cabling will work.

3. Yes, they are a good idea, especially if you plan on using whole-home DVR, as the terminators keep the MoCA signal strong.

Most RG6 that's properly terminated and in good shape should be able to do the job.

My installer was happy to try the existing coax first and run new cable only if needed. My existing cable worked fine. Some posts here indicate that some installers refuse to use anything but 3GHz rated RG6 for Hopper installs. I guess it all depends on the installer you get.

The specs for "standard" and 3GHz rated RG6 are identical. The rating simply indicates that the cable was TESTED and found to meet the published spec AT 3 GHz. "Standard" RG6 probably also meets this spec too. My guess is that cable that is old and subjected to harsh environment is more likely to cause problems than one that isn't 3GHz rated.

Terminators should be installed on all unused client port connections (including splitters, taps, etc.) for reliable MOCA performance. Terminators eliminate signal reflections, something that's essential on a multi-drop interconnect system. They also provide weather protection for unused for outside connections.

My installer was happy to try the existing coax first and run new cable only if needed. My existing cable worked fine. Some posts here indicate that some installers refuse to use anything but 3GHz rated RG6 for Hopper installs. I guess it all depends on the installer you get.

The specs for "standard" and 3GHz rated RG6 are identical. The rating simply indicates that the cable was TESTED and found to meet the published spec AT 3 GHz. "Standard" RG6 probably also meets this spec too. My guess is that cable that is old and subjected to harsh environment is more likely to cause problems than one that isn't 3GHz rated.

Terminators should be installed on all unused client port connections (including splitters, taps, etc.) for reliable MOCA performance. Terminators eliminate signal reflections, something that's essential on a multi-drop interconnect system. They also provide weather protection for unused for outside connections.

I think the length of the coax plays an important part too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)