Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I saw this weekend that Staples had laptop cooling fan pads on sale for $20 & I almost got one. When I looked at them in the store, they are powered by the USB port & didn't get one because I didn't know how much current the USB port on the 622 could support. Does anyone have any info on this? Would it supply enough to the pad?

Rob

I saw this weekend that Staples had laptop cooling fan pads on sale for $20 & I almost got one. When I looked at them in the store, they are powered by the USB port & didn't get one because I didn't know how much current the USB port on the 622 could support. Does anyone have any info on this? Would it supply enough to the pad?

Rob

I have a laptop cooler like this one. Antec.com - NoteBook Cooler. It lowered one of my 722s from 129 average down to 116. Not sure of the USB current. I have an external hard drive connected to the USB port on the 722. The cool pad is powered by a USB to A/C adapter. Something like this one. Emtc - AC to USB Power Adapter Charger. Here are some not so good pics of the cooler. I was taking pics of something else, but you can kinda see what it looks like.

Attachments

• 5-Port SwtGreat.JPG
    5-Port SwtGreat.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 5-PortSwtGreat-2.JPG
    5-PortSwtGreat-2.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 204
A little off topic, but related to the 622.

Is there any way to put a parental block on a program recorded on the DVR. Say if I recorded a "R" rated movie, and I didn't want the kids to be able to watch the recording, how can I block it, or how can I hide it?

I have a laptop cooler like this one. Antec.com - NoteBook Cooler. It lowered one of my 722s from 129 average down to 116. Not sure of the USB current. I have an external hard drive connected to the USB port on the 722. The cool pad is powered by a USB to A/C adapter. Something like this one. Emtc - AC to USB Power Adapter Charger. Here are some not so good pics of the cooler. I was taking pics of something else, but you can kinda see what it looks like.

From looking at your pictures, I think you have the cooler upside down? I have the same cooler, bought it here:Buy the Antec Dual-Fan Laptop Cooler and other Computer stands, docking & cooling at circuitcity.com. I have the "silver" side up. My high temp went from 127 down to 120 and average from 117 to 109. I like the USB/AC adapter you use, as it seems that if the cooler were attached to the 722's USB and drawing power from the 722's power supply(as I have it attached now), there would be more heat created in the 722 as it needs to power the cooler. I think I will purchase the adapter and see if my temps will drop further.

From looking at your pictures, I think you have the cooler upside down? I have the same cooler, bought it here:http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=89840&WT.mc_n=8360&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=EMAIL&cm_cat=CIRCUITCITY.COM&cm_pla=EMA_ORDER_CONFIRMATION_DI->S2%20-%20PRODUCT%20SPOT&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=8360. I have the "silver" side up. My high temp went from 127 down to 120 and average from 117 to 109. I like the USB/AC adapter you use, as it seems that if the cooler were attached to the 722's USB and drawing power from the 722's power supply(as I have it attached now), there would be more heat created in the 722 as it needs to power the cooler. I think I will purchase the adapter and see if my temps will drop further.

I read somewhere that it would work better that way (upside down). I will flip it around and try it out the other way. Thanks for the idea. I will post here after monitoring it for a couple of weeks.

charlesrshell- Did a check on the adapter you use. It's only rated for 300mA. The cooler requires 450mA. Maybe your cooler isn't getting proper power? That's assuming you run it on high. Try plugging it into the receiver's USB to see if you can here a difference in fan speed. I ordered this adapter as it has a rating of 5.5V and up to 1000mA:USB To AC Adapter - Microsoft Zune 80GB. Don't know if what I've suggested will make any difference, but it's worth a try.

If you will remove top cover (beware of pets or kid's curiosity), add small heatsinks and you'll measure temperature on the heatsinks - 130...140F on main chip and 100...110F on 7401;
you'll see in Counters windows better numbers:
- HDD Hight Temp: 109F
- HDD Low Temp: 93F
- HDD Average Temp: 98F

A little off topic, but related to the 622.

Is there any way to put a parental block on a program recorded on the DVR. Say if I recorded a "R" rated movie, and I didn't want the kids to be able to watch the recording, how can I block it, or how can I hide it?
Lock everything rated R or above in the LOCKS settings.

charlesrshell- Did a check on the adapter you use. It's only rated for 300mA. The cooler requires 450mA. Maybe your cooler isn't getting proper power? That's assuming you run it on high. Try plugging it into the receiver's USB to see if you can here a difference in fan speed. I ordered this adapter as it has a rating of 5.5V and up to 1000mA:USB To AC Adapter - Microsoft Zune 80GB. Don't know if what I've suggested will make any difference, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the info moonwolf22. I checked my USB adapter and it just says "Input 100-240V AC, Output 5.V DC 1A" on it. What does the 1A mean? I did what you said on switching from USB to the adapter several times and do not note any difference in fan speed. So, I guess it is OK, but I went ahead and ordered the one in the site you referenced too anyway. The instructions that came with the cooler says 5V / 400mA. I guess I have a little different model than the one in the web site. Also, I have flipped the laptop cooler over, so I will monitor temps for a month or so and post results here. Todays reading is 131 / 105 / 116. Again, thanks for the good catch of info. I just don't know much on electrical stuff.

Thanks for the info moonwolf22. I checked my USB adapter and it just says "Input 100-240V AC, Output 5.V DC 1A" on it. What does the 1A mean? I did what you said on switching from USB to the adapter several times and do not note any difference in fan speed. So, I guess it is OK, but I went ahead and ordered the one in the site you referenced too anyway. The instructions that came with the cooler says 5V / 400mA. I guess I have a little different model than the one in the web site. Also, I have flipped the laptop cooler over, so I will monitor temps for a month or so and post results here. Todays reading is 131 / 105 / 116. Again, thanks for the good catch of info. I just don't know much on electrical stuff.

According to the link you pointed to in previous post, that adapter says "Max Output: 5 VDC, 300 mA". The instructions that came with my cooler had a specification section that gave the volts as 4.5-6, and .45A as max amperage(set on high). 1 Amp= 1000mA. So .45A=450mA. You say your adapter puts out 1A. Maybe you got a different one then the one your link pointed to? Anyway, I hope flipping the cooler around will work better for you, and will check your future posts. I will post back if my temps fall further when I get my adapter and have the cooler powered by a regular outlet and not using the receivers power supply. Also, if my place is quiet, I can definitely hear the cooler's fans. Can you hear yours working?

According to the link you pointed to in previous post, that adapter says "Max Output: 5 VDC, 300 mA". The instructions that came with my cooler had a specification section that gave the volts as 4.5-6, and .45A as max amperage(set on high). 1 Amp= 1000mA. So .45A=450mA. You say your adapter puts out 1A. Maybe you got a different one then the one your link pointed to? Anyway, I hope flipping the cooler around will work better for you, and will check your future posts. I will post back if my temps fall further when I get my adapter and have the cooler powered by a regular outlet and not using the receivers power supply. Also, if my place is quiet, I can definitely hear the cooler's fans. Can you hear yours working?

The link to the USB adapter is not the one I am using now. The one in the link I found in a quick search is an example for tempVAdish to check out. I should have selected one of the proper size. Attached are the DVR temps since I have been keeping track of them. If the DVR temp with the laptop cooler comes down more, I may install more coolers for some of the other DVRs.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 139
What about the existing fan? It's already there, so can we make it work for us? Clearly something tells it when to turn on and off. Can we fix it so that it runs fast all of the time ( or say, when the temp is above X?) Anyone?

That's how most electronic devices with fans work, no?

The VIP722 that I flipped around the laptop cooler has not changed temp yet. Still has an average of 116.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 98

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts