Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

My VIP622 is in a tight cabinet, sitting on top of an old dish 6000 that I use to vcr standard def stuff. Above the VIP622 is a vcr on a diff. shelf. Above the vcr on another shelf is a Charter cable Moxi dvr. Sitting on top of the Moxi, is an external 500 gig harddrive. I have a 120volt muffin fan blowing into the bottom of the cabinet, up through it, and the exhaust exits at the top back through a hole. Each device is sitting on pop bottle caps, to raise them up slightly for air flow. It's cheap, and it works. My VIP622 temps are:

HDD High Temp: 111 F
HDD Low Temp: 89 F
HDD Average Temp: 96 F

Before the muffin fan, the HIGH temp was over 140 F. My wife's happy, since I replaced the glass in the front of the cabinet! That was out originally, so things wouldn't overheat. Gotta keep the boss happy.

Update !!

High 118 F
Low 75 F
Avg. 103 F

They reset last night or the night before.

Oh ... also noticed internal fan is not running now ... not sure why I caught it running a few times !!??:confused:

722 hd dvr noise- - the fan

Are all 722's real noisy or sound whiny?
My other hd dvr (the 622) isn't.
I swapped out a 625 for a second hd dvr.
I expected to get another 622 but got the 722.
It didn’t matter to me (622, 722).
But this 722 is very noisy, and having it in a small quiet room,
the sound or whine is very very annoying.

I popped off the top, and the noise or whine is coming from the
little fan next to the drive.

I called dish tech to have someone come out, but they will
probably say its not that bad. Especially since they don’t have to
put up with it. I would replace the fan myself, to try another,
but they have security stickers on the drive/fan bracket.

Like I said, my other hd dvr, the 622, it whisper quiet.

I'm tempted to just pull the fan plug.

Are all 722's real noisy or sound whiny?
My other hd dvr (the 622) isn't.
I swapped out a 625 for a second hd dvr.
I expected to get another 622 but got the 722.
It didn’t matter to me (622, 722).
But this 722 is very noisy, and having it in a small quiet room,
the sound or whine is very very annoying.

I popped off the top, and the noise or whine is coming from the
little fan next to the drive.

I called dish tech to have someone come out, but they will
probably say its not that bad. Especially since they don’t have to
put up with it. I would replace the fan myself, to try another,
but they have security stickers on the drive/fan bracket.

Like I said, my other hd dvr, the 622, it whisper quiet.

I'm tempted to just pull the fan plug.
The fan is there to keep the hard drive cool. Disconnecting the fan will cause you nothing but more problems than just a noisy fan.

I just recently started experiencing the rebooting.. Unit is about 3 months old. Its sitting on a home theatre stand with ample space around it..
I have checked the temp and it is as follows.. 122/78/109
has anyone used the fans that they sell specifically for the 622/722 on ebay will they help solve this issue.. I have also read that the low signal could cause this as well any truth to this. I know on the vip units the signal is really higher then on the screen but im about 50-60 on 119 & 110 and 40 on 129 could that be my problem??
TIA

Look around here and you will find thread about what difference in signal for new scale.

Again we discuss all method of chilling 622 - a cooling pad, fan(s) from one side or both, etc - just read, select what you like and use.

Just use all knowledge what we exposed to you.

Look around here and you will find thread about what difference in signal for new scale.

Again we discuss all method of chilling 622 - a cooling pad, fan(s) from one side or both, etc - just read, select what you like and use.

Just use all knowledge what we exposed to you.

Alot of users mention the laptop cooler fan but others say not to b.c you need to allow air to escape.. Also users say to follow the air direction as per the unit intake on the left side and out put on the right where power supply is. So i take it there really is no solution better then others, just trial and error to see if this solves the rebooting issue. It all stared about 1 week back which was around the time the update was spooled. I sure hope this issue gets resolved cause I cant live w.o my hd :(
As for my temps are they reasonable??

hid3f: Your temps look fine. My temps were 138/93/127, but I was experiencing major pixelation problems, not reboots. I installed a 120mm case fan on the upper back on the TV stand cabinet, and dropped my average temp several degrees which greatly improved the problems I've been seeing. Did your reboot problem go away when Dish fixed the software update stream to stop updating version 149 to 149?

Thermal Images of 722

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing what gets hot inside a 722. Here are thermal pictures so we can all see what gets hot in this thing. These are taken with a 320x240 thermal imager, so it's not quite as high-res as I like. Maybe one day I'll update with a 640x480 imager. Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, white is hot.

thermal722-ext.png

External view of 722. Left side is hotter due to the power supply underneath. There is a cooler band coming down the middle where there is a chassis directly underneath. The plastic front panel is cool to the touch. The splotches on the front panel is latent heat from my hands when I pulled the 722 out of the cabinet.

thermal722-int5.png

Looking down into the 722. The hottest parts are components in the power supply and the one large chip with a shiny circular sticker on it (partially hidden under the chassis.)

thermal722-int2.png

Why is the hottest chip in here covered with a sticker that reflects heat? :eek:
Notice that entire chip is hot! Compare that with the chip in the center right (directly beneath the hard drive) where just the center of the chip is warm.

I have a couple more photos for those who are interested here: Thermal Images of 722

As you can see, there is quite a bit here that runs hot. I'd feel better if that one large chip had a heat sink on it instead of a sticker! (But, being a software guy, I am required to blame hardware for any problems :D )

Disclaimer: I do not recommend that anyone should actually 'mod' their reciever! This post is informational only.

-Gunner Joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)