Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

My averages on the defective 722.
High 138
Low 82
Average 114

I may get a fan for the replacement I just hooked up.

Running an avg of 123 is a bit worrisome.

It worries me too. I've been having problems with it locking up and spontaneously rebooting on it's own. It especially happens when I am in the Menu's. It sits out in the open. Nothing is on top of it and it's not on top of anything but a table. They are sending out another unit. So I hope I just have a bad one.

My 722 is about 20 months old and today reads:
High - 138
Low - 100
Avg - 120

I added the USB fan recommended in this forum about three weeks ago which moved the numbers from:

High - 138
Low - 114
Avg - 129

I'm not sure how often the high counter resets but mine has not moved so far. The low immediately dropped 14 degrees and the average has been falling slowly since. The fan was $20 delivered from Amazon so if you see high temp numbers I think it is well worth adding one to avoid the inconvenience and cost of changing the unit out.

Running an avg of 123 is a bit worrisome.

Not really. My oldest receiver gets
138° F high
129° F average
120° F low

In the open (on top of rack, not inside). This receiver is from July of the launch year ?2006?.

My others do somewhat better even though one of them is in a room that is very hot in the summer months.

I don't remember which company drives they are using but WD has a programmable 1st warning at 60° C (note 60 is not a fixed value) and 65° C shutdown warning. (140° F and 149° F). http://www.wdc.com/en/library/2579-850122.pdf

Not sure at what levels (or what sensor) the fan on the 622/722 kick in, but as long as it keeps the temperature below 149 it can be operated, preferably below below 140. For those receiver reported in this thread the majority never hit as high as 140.

Would it be better if it is lower, probably. And the newer receivers in this series seem to have a HDD run a bit cooler. Note also this temperature is at the HDD. There are components of the receiver that actually run a lot hotter (and some are not particularly heat sensative) and probably other components that need to run a lot cooler. Are HDD failures even the most common reason to need a repair of these receivers?

Recent practical studies of using Hitachi CinemaStar SATA HDD for Dish DVR did shows those disks produce dramatically less heat and stay cool for long period of time.

On my 15 months in service before dying ViP722:

Hi: 116
Lo: 86
Avg: 95

On open rack atop laptop cooler. Still lost the HDD. Couldn't get everything off to EHD before it died completely. Will keep almost everything on an external RAID EHD assembly in the future. WD Black. And I might even back up that EHD.

If we talking about SATA, not SCSI disks; more appropriate values you could read here http://products.wdc.com/library/specsheet/eng/2879-701229.pdf

So, practically Operating Temp is 5...55 C (131 F).

How the DVR fan controlling you could find by reading the thread - I posted scope picture and all technical info about LM75 setting/control the fan.

Note the 55 is the operating environment, not the temperature that these drives can reach and safely operate. I didn't find the sata table that was similar to the scsi table, but off hand wouldn't expect it to differ much. But perhaps it does.

Wondering if I should be worried - since I am having problems with the 622DVR whenever my system records (it becomes sluggish during recording and watching another show and stays sluggish after the recording).

It only gets fixed by holding the power button down for the soft reset.

My temps are (when I checked last night):

Hi: 138
Lo: 120
Avg: 127

I suspect that this is too high but it's in a well ventilated area and the summer temps push 100 here regularly...

Any thoughts?

ext HDD

Wondering if I should be worried - since I am having problems with the 622DVR whenever my system records (it becomes sluggish during recording and watching another show and stays sluggish after the recording).

It only gets fixed by holding the power button down for the soft reset.

My temps are (when I checked last night):

Lo: 120
Avg: 127

I suspect that this is too high but it's in a well ventilated area and the summer temps push 100 here regularly...

Any thoughts?

You better be transferring to an ext HDD cause that thing is about to go belly up. Might be the HDD but may be that mobo is going bad. But be sure you can keep your show by doing the transfer.

I purchased the ThermalTake USB fan about a month ago. When I installed it my numbers for my 622 were:

Lo: 126
Avg: 132

It has been in the same entertainment center for over a year with no problems. Since installing the fan my numbers have dropped to:

Lo: 107
Avg: 116

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)