Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I think mine is Targus (you can get 'em at Office Depot and similar). I may have add'l ambient noise in my living room but I have to put my ear with 12" to hear it. Even then, I have to turn if off then back on to distinguish it's sound from other noises.

That fan installation is pictured earlier in this thread at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/918518-post379.html

I added that fan (purchased from Antonline - one of the choices at Amazon - cheaper shipping) about two weeks ago, and I've had a 2 degree decrease in my Average Temp every few days ( 122-> 120 -> 118 -> 116 ). The top of the case is no longer hot to the touch, even though the room is often 80 degrees.

Last edited:

I added that fan (purchased from Antonline - one of the choices at Amazon - cheaper shipping) about two weeks ago, and I've had a 2 degree decrease in my Average Temp every few days ( 122-> 120 -> 118 -> 116 ). The top of the case is no longer hot to the touch, even though the room is often 80 degrees.

That's where i got mine and that fan is great! It has an adjustable speed and runs great off the 5v provided by the back USB port. My 622 stays cool quietly all the time.

I added that fan (purchased from Antonline - one of the choices at Amazon - cheaper shipping) about two weeks ago, and I've had a 2 degree decrease in my Average Temp every few days ( 122 -> 120 -> 118 -> 116 ). The top of the case is no longer hot to the touch, even though the room is often 80 degrees.
Latest average termperature reading is down another 2 degrees, i.e.

122 -> 120 -> 118 -> 116 -> 114

I think mine is Targus (you can get 'em at Office Depot and similar). I may have add'l ambient noise in my living room but I have to put my ear with 12" to hear it. Even then, I have to turn if off then back on to distinguish it's sound from other noises.

I had one for over six months. It gets louder as it age.

I hope, or maybe not, that this is just a coincidence, but the day I added the Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan I started getting drops in HD signal. I get the "acquiring signal" message for a moment and then the picture returns. This has happened twice, last night on MAX HD which I believe is on 129 Tp27.

The signal locks at 72 on 129/27 which I know is low, but possibly average here in the PNW but the drops with the accompanying signal loss message is a new development

I'm on my 3rd 622 now. I have a very good power conditioner as well as a separate UPS. I just don't know what else to do with the thing other than sacrificing small animals to appease it.

All this dough down the drain. maybe I'll call'em out to repeak the dish.

The fan keeps the machine noticeably cooler and seems to be of good quality. Amazingly, it's not made in China. Though close.

Here's a web page which some might find interesting: Satellite Footprints by Dish Size - Noise Discussion, Terrestrial Interference (TI), Rain Fade, Free Space Loss, Earth Thermal Noise Chart, Side Lobe Maps, Conflicting Frequency Chart

Last edited:
The Dish?

I hope, or maybe not, that this is just a coincidence, but the day I added the Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan I started getting drops in HD signal. I get the "acquiring signal" message for a moment and then the picture returns. This has happened twice, last night on MAX HD which I believe is on 129 Tp27.

The signal locks at 72 on 129/27 which I know is low, but possibly average here in the PNW but the drops with the accompanying signal loss message is a new development

I'm on my 3rd 622 now. I have a very good power conditioner as well as a separate UPS. I just don't know what else to do with the thing other than sacrificing small animals to appease it.

All this dough down the drain. maybe I'll call'em out to repeak the dish.

The fan keeps the machine noticeably cooler and seems to be of good quality. Amazingly, it's not made in China. Though close.

Here's a web page which some might find interesting: Satellite Footprints by Dish Size - Noise Discussion, Terrestrial Interference (TI), Rain Fade, Free Space Loss, Earth Thermal Noise Chart, Side Lobe Maps, Conflicting Frequency Chart

You're in the PAC NW & stating the dish. Does that men you only have a single 1000? If so you would be much better off to get them out there and put in a 24" for 129. The 1000 is not well suited for the NW. 129 is a weak bird that wobbles and that very well may be your problem.

You're in the PAC NW & stating the dish. Does that men you only have a single 1000? If so you would be much better off to get them out there and put in a 24" for 129. The 1000 is not well suited for the NW. 129 is a weak bird that wobbles and that very well may be your problem.

No, I have a 24" dish dedicated to 129.

So bottom line if I'm getting a new 622, should I get a laptop cooler, or some other kind of fan. I read the first 15 pages of discussion here and my head started to spin.

Thanks

So bottom line if I'm getting a new 622, should I get a laptop cooler, or some other kind of fan. I read the first 15 pages of discussion here and my head started to spin.

Thanks

I got a laptop cooler (fan) from Office Depot, the rectangular one that sits under the receiver and it dropped the temp no more than 3º. I had it running 24/7 for approx 6 months. Had to unplug it about a week ago. It's starting to give up and make noise. I'm gonna see if I can tear it apart and oil the motors. So to answer the question, it can't hurt but in my case it didn't help a whole lot.

It's hard to define "help". As I and others have said, excessive heat in the 622 (and any other electronics for that matter!) is a long-term reliability detractor. Anything a user can do to reduce the operating temperature can help increase reliability. To be certain, it won't hurt anything (unless you do other damage, like cause an ESD event to the circuitry while installing an internal fan). It's also entirely possible that some of the little operating "glitches" (soft failures) widely reported with the 622 especially in the early days are/were attributable to excessive temps. YMMV...

How long have you been using this and is it on 24/7? My other concern is noise. It seems like it may be the best solution for my 622.

It has an adjustable speed so you can adjust how loud it is. I have had one running nonstop for a couple months already and it works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts