AZBox CLEAN SLATE

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Hi to all AZBox owners!

Although this site is home to me, I am also registered at numerous other sites all over the globe. Much of what they do overseas does not apply to us here in N.A., but once in a while I find something that I think we can use here. This is one of those times and I would like to share this instructional tip with you all. Ice, if you could make this a "stickie", it would be appreciated so that these instructions do not get lost in the myriad of posts here. Thank you!

First of all, I cannot take credit for these instructions and I must give the parties who presented them the proper credit where credit is due.

The instructions were compiled by "pr2" and posted on a UK satellite site by "barryr". Many thanks to these two satellite guys for this information.

I am going to type the instructions in my own words, then I will attach the origianl PDF file for everyone. Here it is......

PROCEDURE TO COMPLETELY CLEAN-UP YOUR AZBOX FIRMWARE, SETTINGS and PLUGINS

This procedure will totally clean the slate of all configurations, plugins, firmware and all satellite and channel lists, so be advised that this is a last resort measure to be used if you feel that your AZBox has been corrupted somehow and you cannot recover from the error. If you cannot recover the proper operation of your AZBox through any other method and you are at a brick wall, you may attempt this procedure, but remember that this is a last resort measure.

Do NOT SKIP any steps that are written here, they must be followed according to their order.

PREPARE YOUR FIRMWARE FOR INSTALLATION:

1] Utilize a USB FLASH DRIVE formatted in FAT32 (256 MB size is perfect)

2] Ensure that the USB drive is clean of all other files, it should be a blank slate.

3] Download the latest firmware from AZBox Snapshots

4] Save this FW file in a library or folder on your PC in a convenient location.

5] Copy the FW file that you downloaded earlier to the USB flash memory device.

6] Rename the file on the flash memory device as "patch".

7] Copy the same FW file to the USB flash memory device once again.

8] Rename this repeated file as "patch.bin"

(I will explain why I asked you to rename the file two different ways later).

PREPARE THE AZBOX TO ACCEPT THE NEW FIRMWARE

9] Power down your AZBox in the most appropriate method for the current firmware (if possible).

10] Insert the USB flash drive in the USB port of the AZBox.

11] Apply power to the AZBox and allow it to go through it's power up and reboot sequence. It should stop on a specific screen when it detects your USB flash memory and prompt you with about five alternatives to proceed.

12] When you detect this screen, use your remote and the channel up/down buttons to scroll to option #1 "UPDATE USB". Press OK.

13] Your AZBox should begin to extract the FW data from one of the two files on your USB flash drive (and ignore the other file that we installed).

You may walk away and go about other tasks during this process, when it completes this part of the task, you will see the same option menu that you witnessed in step #11.

14] Scroll to the option "REBOOT WITHOUT UPDATE" and press OK.

15] After the box reboots, press the USB button on your remote and you will detect "EJECT USB" on your TV screen. Don't fret if you don't see this message, just go ahead and remove the USB flash memory device regardless.

NEXT SET OF STEPS

16] Enable TELNET server on your AZBOX (press HOME > SETTINGS > NETWORK SERVICE> TELNET SERVER > ENABLE)

17] Using a TELNET client program, connect to your AZBox using its assigned IP address.

18] Type in the following commands:

mount -o remount, rw -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /MMP

rm -rf /PLUGINS

rm -rf /DISH2

rm -rf /MMP

sync

You may detect some error messages. Ignore them and escape out of them as they occur.

19] Power down the AZBox using the remote.

20] Turn the rear switch OFF and insert the same USB flash memory device that we used previously.

21] Power the AZBox back up.

22] Wait for the UPGRADE menu screen to display once again.

23] This time, select option #4 "FORMAT APPLICATION AREA"

24] After that is complete and the box is ready and displays the UPGRADE menu once again, highlight option #1 - UPGRADE USB. Press OK and allow the process continue on its own.

25] Walk away during the process and enjoy a beverage or use the facilities. When you return, it should be back at the same menu option screen.

26] When that screen appears, select "REBOOT WITHOUT UPDATE" and wait for it to complete its task.

26] Press USB button on the remote and when it displays "eject usb" you can remove the USB flash memorey device. If you have no display at this time, do not worry, go ahead and remove the USB memory device regardless. The system will know what you intend to do, regardless if you can see the message or not.

27] Now you will need to reset everything from scratch, your resolution configuration to match your TV and all your satellites and channels and, well... EVERYTHING, but your AZBox will be restored to total factory setup (with the exception of the firmware revision that you selected to install).

NOTE: The reason I informed you to copy the firmware twice to your USB drive and rename it once as "patch" and once again as "patch.bin" was to expedite the restoration process. Without knowing how your computer (PC) handles known file types and how you have it configured, I cannot tell you to name the FW file one way or the other and be correct. To make it simple, if you rename the same file in both ways on your USB memory drive, the AZBox will find the one it needs and it will ignore the other.

The LINUX OS system of the AZBox is very picky about caps and file name structures and will simply ignore what it doesn't like. Therefore, you are not going to be in trouble if you rename it incorrectly, but the AZBox will ignore the file if you don't rename it right.

This is the end of this instruction. The rest of the setup is in your hands as though you just bought this AZBox for the first time and were pulling it out of the box.

Attached below is the original version of the instructions provided by pr2 in a PDF format. My version, which you just read, alters slightly from pr2's. His isn't wrong in any instruction, but I wanted to put a few things into my own words. Sometimes the Europeans and guys and gals from the UK say things a little uniquely.

RADAR

Attachments

• Complete clean-up of Azbox firmware, settings and plugins.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
First of all, thanks for the above. It did explain one question I had relative to directories that don't get removed on firmware upgrade/application area format.

However I do have issues with your two patch file thing. My feeling is that anyone who isn't able to figure out the full filename of a file on their computer shouldn't be messing with the above. On the other hand I guess that if someone is determined to perform the procedure it might be a more foolproof way of getting this done right, but I just think it's better for someone to get stopped via the Azbox not finding a mis-named patch file before they mess things up worse than they already are.

But overall, this is a valuable reference, which could be appropriate for a couple of recent threads I've seen lately. But I'd advise reading the whole thing first, and make sure you understand what every step is doing before attempting it.

First of all, thanks for the above. It did explain one question I had relative to directories that don't get removed on firmware upgrade/application area format.

Yes, it was the same for me and one of the reasons why I thought that this was valuable information to post here.

However I do have issues with your two patch file thing. My feeling is that anyone who isn't able to figure out the full filename of a file on their computer shouldn't be messing with the above. On the other hand I guess that if someone is determined to perform the procedure it might be a more foolproof way of getting this done right, but I just think it's better for someone to get stopped via the Azbox not finding a mis-named patch file before they mess things up worse than they already are.

I know and I agree B.J., but I simply did not want to take the time to explain the determination process and the 'whys' and 'hows' at this time. Most people will know and understand it. If they don't, doing it this way is actually foolproof as, like I stated, the AZBox will simply ignore the incorrectly named file as if it were not even there. I do, however, recommend that everyone investigate this for their own personal knowledge and understanding.

But overall, this is a valuable reference, which could be appropriate for a couple of recent threads I've seen lately. But I'd advise reading the whole thing first, and make sure you understand what every step is doing before attempting it.

Thanks! Of course, I was simply just relaying the information and had nothing to do with the compilation of the procedure. That credit goes to pr2, obviously.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts