AZBOX [AZBOX] Constructing New Satellite List from scratch for Azbox Premium HD+ (Creating all_channel.dat

wen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
I created a new satellites antenna_list.dat file and a DVBS.dat for my AzBox from a newly downloaded satellites.xml file for all satellites from AMC8 at 139W to Intelsat 903 at 34.5W. This is quite easy and straightforward using AZBoxEdit v0.9.2880c.

?
:( Then I ran into my first problem in that I cannot figure out how to add a channel or two to one transponder so I can save an all_channel.dat file to upload to the AZBOX using AzBox Control Center (ACC). I now have a clean satellite and transponder list with diseqc switch settings for C and Ku band switches and LNB settings. I was unable to use the satellites.xml file from SatBeams because it always caused a subscript out of bounds error when trying to load it into AZBoxEdit.

I wanted a fairly accurate and current transponder list to make it easy to locate all 78 (C & Ku) satellites in my VBox to make sure the satellite was the correct one before storing the position. I deleted all the DSS satellites as they no longer have any FTA channels available.

I need to know how to create an all_channel.dat list from scratch or how to add a channel to AZBoxEdit so I can save an all_channel.dat file to download into the AZBox.

Last edited:
Hi wen. you can't add single channels in most of the editor programs. just scan one dummy channel in your AZBOX then download those files and edit them. what firmware are u using out of curiosity? adding your equipment (dish,lnb,motor,receiver,receiver firmware) will often get a quicker answer to your questions.

Thanks for the reply beavs2112. FW is 0.9.5311 (reads 0.9.5308 on the AZBox. I have looked at many satellite lists and loaded and studied many of them, but none of them are up to date with their transponder list. The website satellite-xml allows you to select the satellites or range of satellites and download an xml file of those complete with pretty current transponders and all the data that goes with the transponders. AZBoxEdit allows you to import those and make a complete list of satellites and allows you to add LNA and diseqc switch data for your switches for C-band and Ku Band LNB's. You can save the list, but it is only two of the required files (antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat which contain all necessary satellite information.

I believe if I knew how to ftp these two files to the AZBox and put them in the correct place (Folder 1, I believe), then I could do what you suggest if the AZBox would not hiccup to download only two of the required files (without the all_channel.dat file), then scan one transponder, and then I could download that data back to my computer and have a complete satellite file that anyone could use.

I have also tried a workaround of just putting any old all_channel.dat file in the directory with antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat. When I load that directory of files into Maz 3.2, it finds the error in satellite names in the old all_channel.dat file and allows you to correct them. After that I have a complete file that can be uploaded to the AZBox with ACC and seems to work ok. I have not found a problem with this workaround solution except that I was hoping to find a way to generate the all_channel.dat file without making it from an old version.

Do you know how to ftp antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat to the correct folder on the AZBox so I can scan a couple of files?

just some info for you. azedit is designed for firmware using enigma 2 in the azbox. the all-chanel.dat file from original firmware is replaced in enigma2 & azedit with a bouqets file. so you are trying to combine 2 different types of firmware formats files. it is tricky but can be done.
first I want to be sure you are capable of an AZBOX recovery if something should go wrong. here's a copy of a very good recovery procedure (thanks ACWX) View attachment AZBOX Recovery by AcWxRADAR.pdf

Let's get back to the original question. Using AzBox (Opensat) firmware (not E2) I want a current sat list with up to date transponders and information that I can use on my AzBox Premium HD+. I am only using AzBox (Opensat) firmware.

I am also using a version of ToolBox AZBOX HD which includes Maz Manager, AzBox Edit, and AzBox Control Center (ACC) and 6 more programs, and they seem to work correctly for all standard AzBox (Opensat) firmware . Many people have used them successfully. Thanks for the recovery link, but I hope I never need it.

I added my signature back in the thread, just in case it will help.

?There are still several un-answered questions in this thread. Any assistance appreciated.

Last edited:
found these help files
Thanks for not giving up on me and thanks for the attachments.

I have found quiet a bit written on this exact subject from 2009-2010, so I am convinced it can be done successfully.

?Several people have posted about using satellites-xml.eu to create a customized satellites.xml file for the Azbox. They all use the exact same workaround that I described or they simply upload the created satellite
antenna_list.dat file and the DVBS.dat to the AzBox. The latter approach would probably use the existing all_channel.dat file in the AzBox. Have also found where some recommended that you delete most or all of the channels on the AzBox first. I haven't found what deleting all the channels will cause the AzBox to do, though, so haven't tried that yet.
?
I can now ftp files to the AzBox and back to my computer. All three of the files are normally stored inAzBox /DISK2 and used during normal operation.
The only file that is stored in the backup location is DVBS.dat, so it may recreate the other two files on it's own when the box fails to boot and it has to use the backup files in DISK 1/DISK2_backup. Haven't found how that works, yet.

Last edited:
I have found quiet a bit written on this exact subject from 2009-2010, so I am convinced it can be done successfully.
I think the real problem is that the Databases easily corrupt.
When you get tired of dealing with that, you get another receiver for everyday use and Blind-scanning, and just use the AZBox for 4:2:2 feeds.

I don't remember exactly where you copy the files to, but make sure you know how to load firmware first, in case something goes wrong.

Hi Lak7. Thanks for the response.

I also have a X squared Premium HD. It blindscans quite fast, but does not have as good a picture as the AsBox and pixilates more. Can I connect the X squared to the loop out on the Azbox to watch both or will the voltage from the X2 mess up the polarity switching on the Azbox? I need the 4:2:2 as we do not have any over the air TV available.

I have also been testing my new from satellites-xml.com Satellite list in the Azbox and no problems yet. It is nice for the transponders to be mostly active when you are hunting satellites to set up a VBox for 70 or so satellites on C & Ku band.

found these help files

Found newer versions of those help files posted on MediaFire. Even though the AZ Guide has a lower version number, it's actually more recent than the one you posted.

The AZ Guide Version 1.24.13.pdf
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vkoe796e362yykm/The_AZ_Guide_Version_1.24.13.pdf

Questions and answers for the Azbox
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3nkmz4pybyiqda5/QuestionsandanswersfortheAzbox_ver_3.14.11.pdf

It's sad to see that a certain retailer from that "other" discussion forum is only allowing people who purchased AzBox receivers from them to access these documents. :facepalm

Can I connect the X squared to the loop out on the Azbox to watch both or will the voltage from the X2 mess up the polarity switching on the Azbox?
Are you talking about watching a Horizontal and Vertical channel at the same time through 1 wire? If so, then "no" is the answer.

Are you talking about watching a Horizontal and Vertical channel at the same time through 1 wire? If so, then "no" is the answer.
No, I realize that the second box would only receive the same polarity as the AzBox or vice versa depending on which box was connected first in the loop through.