Azbox Elite Question

putney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
St Louis, missouri
I will soon be buying an Azbox Elite. I have a quick question.

On the back, is he TV out a coax F connector or BNC ?
Can both HDMI and TV Out be use simultaneously?

My goal is to have the box in my main room using HDMI to my TV. I want to run the TV Out to a back room and use a RF remote extender to scan channels etc. It seems that my wife doesn't share my new passion; spending hours looking for new feeds. If I could do that from the back room will she watches OTA, DVD, or Dish, that would be great.

Thanks

-putney

Attachments

• ffpalf.jpg
    ffpalf.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Your local Radio Shack has them. I used the coax out for awhile, but for some reason I didn't have audio all the time, so I stopped using that and just used a VCR to do the same thing to shoot the signal to another room, I use the Composite outs from the azbox to the VCR, and then coax to my Bedroom TV. And my Main TV does run HDMI so thats not a problem. Got rid of the audio problem. VCR has better PQ with the composite input anyway.

The coax adapter you want is RS 278-265B. There is a 278-261, its the other gender, won't work. I bought both of them because I wasn't sure which one I needed. I could not find -265 on the RS site, but I have the connector and package in front of me and that's what it is. :)

Your local Radio Shack has them. I used the coax out for awhile, but for some reason I didn't have audio all the time, so I stopped using that and just used a VCR to do the same thing to shoot the signal to another room, I use the Composite outs from the azbox to the VCR, and then coax to my Bedroom TV. And my Main TV does run HDMI so thats not a problem. Got rid of the audio problem. VCR has better PQ with the composite input anyway.

The coax adapter you want is RS 278-265B. There is a 278-261, its the other gender, won't work. I bought both of them because I wasn't sure which one I needed. I could not find -265 on the RS site, but I have the connector and package in front of me and that's what it is. :)

Thanks stoogie, I think you answered my other question, "Does AC3 down-convert the audio for TV out?" I'm thinking not, but I read that it does work on the RCA outs.

So the next question, "Can HDMI & composite out work at the same time?"

Thanks!

Putney,

Get yourself a TV set that has HDMI or at least S-Video or Component Video inputs. If you are spending the money on a AZBox, you should also have a TV of the same caliber. If your TV already has these inputs, use them. You will not be disappointed.

Friends drop in while I am watching RTV with older SD videos and they cannot believe how great the image is and comment on it always. Then I switch the channel to an HD program and they are simply awed.

RADAR

PS For an HDMI cable, buy the most inexpensive one you can find. A $5 HDMI cable is no different than a $120 HDMI cable. Don't let the salesperson sway you on this. They are WRONG if they tell you that you need the more expensive HDMI cable. This is nothing more than a scam to make you spend your money, don't buy into it.

Thanks stoogie, I think you answered my other question, "Does AC3 down-convert the audio for TV out?" I'm thinking not, but I read that it does work on the RCA outs.
it should

So the next question, "Can HDMI & composite out work at the same time?"

Thanks!

all ports are live so yes it will work. I have the component hooked up to a DVD recorder and HDMI to the TV directly. Works just fine

Putney,

Get yourself a TV set that has HDMI or at least S-Video or Component Video inputs. If you are spending the money on a AZBox, you should also have a TV of the same caliber. If your TV already has these inputs, use them. You will not be disappointed.

Yes I've got that in the main room that the unit will be in. But for the task of finding new signals, my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm, so I'm hoping to do that in a separate room using a remote extender.

all ports are live so yes it will work. I have the component hooked up to a DVD recorder and HDMI to the TV directly. Works just fine

Thanks Ice. I had read in a post that the unit wouldn't boot because the wrong out port was selected (or something like that). That's what made me think it was either/or on some ports.

I appreciate all of the input.

...The coax adapter you want is RS 278-265B. There is a 278-261, its the other gender, won't work. I bought both of them because I wasn't sure which one I needed. I could not find -265 on the RS site, but I have the connector and package in front of me and that's what it is. :)

Try searching on 278-265 without the B.

EDIT:
Was at a RadioShack yesterday. On the peg, there were two of the -265 adapters. On one, the package was light in color. On the other, the package was dark in color. The light one was 278-265B and the dark one was 278-265.

The part looked the same...

Last edited:
For an HDMI cable, buy the most inexpensive one you can find. A $5 HDMI cable is no different than a $120 HDMI cable. Don't let the salesperson sway you on this. They are WRONG if they tell you that you need the more expensive HDMI cable. This is nothing more than a scam to make you spend your money, don't buy into it.

I agree totally. I had a guy at work talk our organization into buying some really expensive HDMI cables for our setup we have. I bought a 5.00 cable and switched one out. No one to date has noticed any difference..;) because, there is no difference..;)

Last edited:
agree

I bought a HDMI cable off monoprice for dirt cheap and it works just as good as the more expensive one I received from somebody

One more point to add about HDMI cables.

This came directly from a DN installer who was setting up my friend with a whole system upgrade to HD for his home. I don't know if he is correct or not, but I have no reason to doubt his information. He stated that he has set up many of DN's HD receiver systems which utilize the HDMI cable.

He not only confirmed that there was no difference in the higher price cables versus the lower price ones, but that you should also beware of the cables which have a full metal jacket or housing around the cable end. He said to use those which have the plastic molded ends instead.

He said that many times, these metal cable ends cause some rather annoying interference problems with the video.

RADAR

the ones I got from monoprice are 1.3a according to their site
Great, I bought mine from Newegg and they are the 1.3 version. I had to buy them because the TVs' I purchased didn't come with them and my cable company Comcast doesn’t provide them even though I ask them to provide me with the HD STB that has the HDMI port. They usally only provide you with the HD STB that has component output and they will supply the cords.
Luck thing I knew the woman in the Comcast office because they tell you they don't have anymore HD STB with HDMI connections.

I have helped two friends that went and got a HDMI STB and both of them were given a STB with no output on the HMDI connector. I had to pull my STB and bring it over their house to test that it was the STB that Comcast gave them and not their HDMI cord or TV port. All Comcast is good for is raising their prices.

Of course

Of course there's a difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones. It' called ego and a lighter wallet. Just look at the price of clearance prices on Monster cables. I've seen cables that sold in retail stores for $25 go for $1. When I worked for a Magnolia Hi-Fi I found out that the Monster Cable had a 500% mark up. That is why the sales people just loved to sell them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)