Azbox external hard drive questions

Crocodile Locke

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest Pennsylvania
I finally pulled the trigger on an Azbox Elite the other day :D and I'm trying to get things ready for it when it gets here. My main question to all of you lucky Azbox owners is this: how large of an external hd will it support?
Also, if anyone has had any compatibility issues with any particular brand I'd love to hear it. I'm currently using a WD My Book 320GB drive for my Coolsat system, but it's mostly full, so I'd like to get something like a 1TB for use with the Azbox, since they're relatively inexpensive these days.

I had trouble with a one terabyte WD external drive. When installed, the Azbox Elite would lock up and act strangely.

Now, I'm using a 500 gig WD drive. It works fine.

I'm glad I asked before buying one, since that's exactly the one I was thinking about getting! Thanks for the input. :up Too bad it won't work with your Azbox, 1tb would be very nice number! :)

Makes me think of my Coolsat; the largest hd it will take is 500gb.

Crocodile Locke,

I am currently using both an internal HDD (I have the Premium AZBox which supports this) and an external USB HDD. I can operate them both at the same time - I mean have them both connected and supported at the same time, but you can only record to or playback from one of them at a time.

The internal one is currently a Samsung 1TB eco-friendly (or green) HDD. The 1 TB HDD is the limit with the current and latest image file of 0.9.3686. The external USB HDD that I am using is a Maxtor OneTouch 750 GB drive and it also works great. A 500 GB HDD (internal or external) is probably most recommended for several reasons, but you can definitely go up to 1 TB with a good and recommended mfg. I highly recommend the Samsung for an internal HDD.

RADAR

I use a 1TB WD Elements external drive with no problems, but then I don't record anything, I just use it for media storage, divx and music collection kinda stuff. I've not had any trouble.

As always, YMMV. :D

AcWxRadar - Interesting, so it would seem that this might be a firmware issue or perhaps a speed or buffer issue, since I would assume guapoharry's WD 1tb drive should work fine if other 1tb drives do. Good to know the Maxtor works well :up, I usually gravitate towards WD, since their drives have held up very well for my last couple pc builds. Too bad the Azbox doesn't have an eSATA connection! :D

stogie5150 - The reviews on your drive are really good from what I've seen. My pc hd is a 640gb wd that I got from newegg and I have to say it's the best drive I've ever had - fast, quiet, reliable, and cheap! :up

Very good question. I'm looking at buying one on black friday. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I was looking at 1TB, now I may have to change my mind.

Crocodile Locke,

I am currently using both an internal HDD (I have the Premium AZBox which supports this) and an external USB HDD. I can operate them both at the same time - I mean have them both connected and supported at the same time, but you can only record to or playback from one of them at a time.

The internal one is currently a Samsung 1TB eco-friendly (or green) HDD. The 1 TB HDD is the limit with the current and latest image file of 0.9.3686. The external USB HDD that I am using is a Maxtor OneTouch 750 GB drive and it also works great. A 500 GB HDD (internal or external) is probably most recommended for several reasons, but you can definitely go up to 1 TB with a good and recommended mfg. I highly recommend the Samsung for an internal HDD.

RADAR

Where is a good place to buy the AZBox premium with an ATSC and DVB-S2 Tuner?

Last edited:
The azbox has a DVB-S/S2 tuner built in

There is no ASTC tuner yet....the only tuner OTA is for Europe (DVB-T)

Hey can you transfer your AZbox recordings to a PC? are there issues or is it streightforward using windows explorer
thanks

Where is a good place to buy the AZBox premium with an ATSC and DVB-S2 Tuner?

I have not yet seen the ATSC OTA tuner available in the N.A. market yet, but the AZBox can be purchased from several sources. Since our sponsors do not yet carry the AZBoxes yet, I hope it is acceptable to mention these sources. Here are two:

rickssatellitehome

NFusion | Azbox | Sonysat | KBOX | |FTA dealer | FTA | Bestbuy4less.net

and there is another that I have heard about that is out of Miami, but I do not know the name.

The Premium model is very difficult to obtain. Always out of stock it seems.

RADAR

EDIT: Here is the link to the one in Miami:

http://azboxusa.com/

Last edited:
I have not yet seen the ATSC OTA tuner available in the N.A. market yet, but the AZBox can be purchased from several sources. Since our sponsors do not yet carry the AZBoxes yet, I hope it is acceptable to mention these sources. Here are two:

rickssatellitehome

NFusion | Azbox | Sonysat | KBOX | |FTA dealer | FTA | Bestbuy4less.net

and there is another that I have heard about that is out of Miami, but I do not know the name.

The Premium model is very difficult to obtain. Always out of stock it seems.

RADAR

I contacted the place in Miami (azboxusa.com). These are the guys that sell on ebay. Their product comes with two tuners - DVB-S,S2 and ISDB-T. The receiver is pre-boxed with this configuration. No other choices are available. A DVB-C tuner was available for $70, but no ATSC tuner was available. The people at this site are technically are illiterate. They had no idea what an ATSC tuner was even though it was referenced on their web site. They know nothing about the product that they are selling.

I hate the idea of paying an extra $70 for a box with a tuner that is of no use in the USA. I asked if they could pull the ISDB-T tuner and credit me for the $70 that I will have to spend on an ATSC tuner. They said no, thats how they receive them. These guys claim to be the official US distributor - You would think that they would offer a product for the US market.

I don't see anything on either their website or their ebay listings that says it comes with an ISDB-T tuner, but it's still a lot cheaper there than anywhere else.

I bought mine form the miami guy...way much cheaper than one spot that was posted above (and they claim there are clones out there)...:rolleyes:

I bought mine from the guy in Miami as well.....very good deal, no problems here.

Anyone else have any suggestions, testimonies,etc... on an external hard drive? Will a 1 TB work, should we go with 750gb or less?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)