AZBox "GoGo" list

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Hi folks,

I am still learning on this box, so all my information is not really well refined as yet. I will simply be feeding my own experiences from time to time as I fall into something new and get started.

I have upgraded the box to the new image available (in Linux terminology, an image file is the latest Firmware or bin file).

I have my AZBox connected with a hardwire Ethernet cable to my Linksys Router.

The router is connected to my WildBlue internet modem, which is connected to my WB satellite dish aimed at 111.1'W ANIK F2.

I dowloaded the most recent image just a few days ago and have been experimenting to see what the differences and upgrades are.

Difficult to notice all the nuances, but everything works pretty well.

The most recent feature that I tested is the "GO-GO" list. I thought that this was a channel and TP/SAT upgrade available only to the European market. Guess what? It works! I was able to download channels for Hispasat 1C/1D @ 30.0'W.

I tested the Go-Go function with this sat first as I have not actually set up this sat in my menus yet, so I knew that no channels could have ever been scanned in.

Running the Go-Go list update brought in a ton of channels, but I am afraid that it did not bring in all the North American channels. I know that there are many FTA channels available on Hispasat, but I see that it downloaded mainly the pay channels. Without investigating each of them, I am assuming that they might just be the channels beamed to the European market.

Never-the-less, it still means that the Go-Go feature does work and loads nicely! They may have to simply keep up their work to provide support for the North American market. They may not have this fully supported yet.

I also used the Go-Go list to update channels on 97.0'W (Galaxy 25) and it did load channels for me, but I had already scanned the sat previously, so I do not know what channels were added. I may have to delete all the channels and then run the Go-Go list once again to see what the differences really are.

This channel came up first, and it is a movie channel... Kuwait 2, but I think I scanned this one in previously. It is in English with Arabic subtitles, like CubaVision on Hispasat. This channel may not play movies all the time, I don't know that yet, but there is a fair movie on now (with David Hasselhoff) in English and there are no commercials.

It is probably going to take me a long time to learn this AZBox through and through, but I am certainly liking what I have found with it so far.

From another site, based in Europe, one of their members stated that these Linux based STB's were not the equipment that a newbie should start off with for their first exposure to FTA TV. Judging from my experience with the AZBox thus far, I think I might disagree slightly with their statement.

Certainly, anyone should learn the basics of setting up a motorized dish and logging (scanning) satellites and channels with a more user friendly system like a Coolsat 5K before they jump into a box like this, but........... I have found this STB to be quite easy to operate so far. I know that I am not an expert on this box or Linux programming by any means, yet I have found that the box, as programmed from the factory or with the latest image upgrade, virtually does all the work for you!

There are a few glitches that I have witnessed. In some instances, I find that it (the STB) doesn't follow your selected command and seems to lock up or not enter the mode you selected. It just sits there with a blank look on the panel, like it is lost. I simply held the remote power button down for 5 seconds (which commands the receiver to enter a reboot mode) and then I tried the command I wanted once again and it proceeded like I believed it should. Basically, it can be a tad bit glitchy from time to time, but a second attempt usually runs the command through.

A BLIND SCAN feature has not been implemented in this box as of yet, so that is a drawback for any owner, but I think they are working on implemeting this.

USALS works excellently!

There is still a problem with satellite AMC 9 (83.0'W) and the RTN or RTV feed channels. Every receiver that I own has some problem with these channels, so I feel that it is not really a defect within the box, it has something to do with their signal. I can view these channels with this box, but it takes an awfully long time for the tuner to lock them.

Overall, I would rate this box a 9.5 out of 10! This one is worth the money spent.

RADAR

This receiver does not require a Blind Scan Feature

Playing around with the Go-Go feature on this AZBox receiver. It is cool as a cat can be! It loads feed channels for you almost instantaneously! I cannot vouch for its accuracy just yet, but it loaded my receiver with channels that I was unable to pick up on a scan and they were valid channels (meaning that I could view them afterwards).

I tried to scan 79.0'W AMC 5 and couldn't pick up KTEL or any other channel for some reason (that was a disappointment). But, just out of curiosity, I went to the Go-Go list and selected 79.0W AMC 5 and within 1-2 seconds, every channel that I know of was downloaded to my receiver.

This brought in all the channels so the encrypted ones are there too, but all the FTA channels are there as well. I don't know where they grab this information from, but it does work very well! This is excellent.

Wahoo!

RADAR

I don't like the GOGO feature in that it downloads a LOT of channels that I can't see anyway. Plus, the Azboxeditor keeps crashing when I try to edit the channel list to remove all the stuff I don't want or when I try to edit channel names. Anyway, since the Azboxeditor doesn't work for me, my only options are to manually delete the unwanted channels with the remote control or to use the Azbox feature that deletes the entire channel list and start over (which would be much faster although irritating) or just live with this until they put out a stable Azboxeditor.

I'm using firmware 0.9.2371 with the AZbox Editor 9.2371 and that combination works for me. It's the only one that has. You might try it.
:)

Hello Brent,

I started with the image file that you have (2371) but when I tried the Go Go list with that image, it would not connect (stated that the option was not available). When I downloaded the 2880 image, it worked.

I am not certain about this all just yet, but the GoGo function is loading some if not all of the feed channels. I don't know how they are managing this, but I am pulling in feed channels that you could only find through a blind scan and I am not scanning these channels or satellites, so I know that these channels are being loaded through the GoGo list function and some are actually listed as "FEED" channel.

I like this very much as it seems to work quite well. Some of the channels are off the air by the time I check them, but many are still active. I think that it works! I am detecting channels that I have never pulled in with a blind scan and a Coolsat rcvr. The unfortunate thing about this, is that I don't know how to block the encrypted channels. The GoGo list seems to load everything.

RADAR

Last edited:
Is the "Go Go" only a channel list or does / can provide firmware or other updates? Just want to make it clear if this could present legal issues due to key sharing?

Is the "Go Go" only a channel list or does / can provide firmware or other updates? Just want to make it clear if this could present legal issues due to key sharing?

Brian,

As far as I can tell the GoGo list simply retrieves channels that are listed through the sites such as Lyngsat and SatCoDX or similar avenues and compiles then to be downloaded to the receiver. There are no encrypion bypasses with the GoGo system, it is only for channel list loading. Akin to the recievers that use the SatcoDX upgrades. But, in this case, I think it actually works!

I do notice that it loads all channels (even if they are encrypted), but it does not do anything to decrypt them. It simply loads every single channel that it can find.

The GoGo list is simply a service that is available to the AZBox owner to gather channels.

I was surprised that this option worked. I thought that it would be directed towards the European customers. But, I played with it and found that it is fully functional for N.A. satellites as well.

The unit does not descramble anything that is not FTA. But, it does pull in every channel when you select the GoGo list, regardless of the encryption mode, but it is not a hack box and will not descramble the channels.

RADAR

Thank you for the explanation of the Go Go function.

I have been reading many of the European reviews on the receiver. Very impressive open platform for development.

GO GO list

Though we can downlaod the channels thru the GO GO list we still need to scan the sats. otherwise you will not get the video, when you scan the tp's of a particualr sat. you can select in this order TV, RADIO, FTA & SCRAMBLE feeds.
I am at work right now and can't remember exactly but there's an option in the GO GO list to download ALL or ...... channels ( can't remember what's the other option ).

The box has 2 Hispasat selections 1 for the european feeds and one for this side of the Atlantic ( maybe you downloaded the Europe feed ).

This box is simply amazing ( it's all I can say ).

Though we can downlaod the channels thru the GO GO list we still need to scan the sats. otherwise you will not get the video, when you scan the tp's of a particualr sat. you can select in this order TV, RADIO, FTA & SCRAMBLE feeds.
I am at work right now and can't remember exactly but there's an option in the GO GO list to download ALL or ...... channels ( can't remember what's the other option ).

The box has 2 Hispasat selections 1 for the european feeds and one for this side of the Atlantic ( maybe you downloaded the Europe feed ).

This box is simply amazing ( it's all I can say ).

Granadaguy,

The option in the GOGo list that you were referring to is ALL / Ku / C Band. So you can select from these three options. The next selection is the satellite itself (and some satellites are already separated into C / Ku Band depending upon the sats configuration). The last option available is which tuner (A or B) that you want to import the channel data to. Currently, I only have the one original DVB-S2 tuner (A).

Today, I cannot experiment with the GoGo List as it is not connecting to their server. I assume that it is a problem on the provider's end as all the other internet connections are functioning normally from the box. Last night it grew steadily slower and began having failures to load. This morning it simply will not connect at all. I read a post that I found in Google search that someone else was also having problems connecting to the GoGo list server, so I am pretty sure that it is on the other end.

Just a note, I was not required to scan the satellite after using the GOGO list. Once I had set up the LNBF type and selected the USALS option for that sat, the channels just popped in without me having to scan. If you did not obtain video when you used the GoGo list, I assume that they simply did not compile the proper information about the VPID/PCRID etc. The GoGo feature would be pretty much a useless perk if you still had to scan for the channels. That would obviously detract from its intended purpose.

RADAR

GoGo List Update

I tried connecting once again and it is back up and running! Yahoo!

One other mention, the SATELLITE NAME selected has a "drop-down" list and you may select any or all satellites by placing a checkmark in the box next to its name. Since I was finally able to connect to the GoGo server again, I selected ALL Bandwidths (C and Ku) and every N.A. satellite available. Note, however, that there are some satellites missing in the image file for the box. There are at least two N.A. sats that I know of that I need to add manually.

RADAR

Go GO list

Granadaguy,

The option in the GOGo list that you were referring to is ALL / Ku / C Band. So you can select from these three options. The next selection is the satellite itself (and some satellites are already separated into C / Ku Band depending upon the sats configuration). The last option available is which tuner (A or B) that you want to import the channel data to. Currently, I only have the one original DVB-S2 tuner (A).

Today, I cannot experiment with the GoGo List as it is not connecting to their server. I assume that it is a problem on the provider's end as all the other internet connections are functioning normally from the box. Last night it grew steadily slower and began having failures to load. This morning it simply will not connect at all. I read a post that I found in Google search that someone else was also having problems connecting to the GoGo list server, so I am pretty sure that it is on the other end.

Just a note, I was not required to scan the satellite after using the GOGO list. Once I had set up the LNBF type and selected the USALS option for that sat, the channels just popped in without me having to scan. If you did not obtain video when you used the GoGo list, I assume that they simply did not compile the proper information about the VPID/PCRID etc. The GoGo feature would be pretty much a useless perk if you still had to scan for the channels. That would obviously detract from its intended purpose.

RADAR

Radar:

I'm not a computer "friendly kinda of a guy" and reading a lot about this box prior to bying it I knew it was "out of bounds" for me without somebody helping me setting it up.
From my experience, when I first received my unit ( from Ricks ) he did scanned a couple of HD feeds for me and loaded the 2238 firmware, I knew you could download the channels thru the GO GO list option, so I did just that, matched the lnb to the sats. and I was unable to get any video ( I'd pulled my hair quite a few times trying to figured out what to do next ), so I proceed to scan the sats. and "voila" the video popped in, I had to do this for the simple fact that I don't have a clue of how to send files back and forth from the editor to the box.
Since then, my buddy ( he knows a bit about computers ) set me all up with the editor and the box run flawless with the 2880 firmware ( tried 2371 but for whatever reason the box didn't like it, the box kept freezing up on me ), you're correct if you have the files loaded from the editor loaded in the box all it needs is to download the channels thru the GO GO list and you should be able to get video, but not without those files ( as it was my case ).
I have played with satellite receivers ( user friendly ) for many years and IMO thi is the best box I ever had in my hands, once you get used to it, til' then is a lot of trial an error.

Radar:

I'm not a computer "friendly kinda of a guy" and reading a lot about this box prior to bying it I knew it was "out of bounds" for me without somebody helping me setting it up.
From my experience, when I first received my unit ( from Ricks ) he did scanned a couple of HD feeds for me and loaded the 2238 firmware, I knew you could download the channels thru the GO GO list option, so I did just that, matched the lnb to the sats. and I was unable to get any video ( I'd pulled my hair quite a few times trying to figured out what to do next ), so I proceed to scan the sats. and "voila" the video popped in, I had to do this for the simple fact that I don't have a clue of how to send files back and forth from the editor to the box.
Since then, my buddy ( he knows a bit about computers ) set me all up with the editor and the box run flawless with the 2880 firmware ( tried 2371 but for whatever reason the box didn't like it, the box kept freezing up on me ), you're correct if you have the files loaded from the editor loaded in the box all it needs is to download the channels thru the GO GO list and you should be able to get video, but not without those files ( as it was my case ).
I have played with satellite receivers ( user friendly ) for many years and IMO thi is the best box I ever had in my hands, once you get used to it, til' then is a lot of trial an error.

GranadaGuy,

I understand the reservations you had at first. I was also quite shy of this box when I first acquired it. I am used to the simplicity and ease of the Coolsat 5000 and the Fortec Star Dynamic. I attempted several other receivers post that era which ended up being junk boxes for me (they were configured to be a hackers tool and that was not what I was shopping for).

I actually purchased another Linux based OS receiver (the AB IP Box 9000HD) just prior to the AZBox. I cannot recommend the AB IP Box just now. It is in its infancy stage and not quite suited for the N.A. FTA market. This AZBox is ahead of that in many ways.

With my experience of the AZBox Premium, I can honestly say that this is a "semi" user freindly device. I will give it an A- grade, simply because there are obviously still some quirks and bugs that need to be worked out. I belive that the mfg will address these concerns in the future, but at this time, the end user has to simply deal with the glitches until the programmers repair them.

This is one great thing about this box, since it utilizes a Linux OS. This is open source code so anyone who is versed in programming with UNIX, Linux, C++ or Visual BASIC should be able to make the machine do exactly what they desire it to.

I am not a very good programmer, but I do have some background in at least the C++ and Visual BASIC realms. I am very far away from understanding how to reprogram this STB to make it customized to my desires, but given time, I may get there. It will be a great learning experience for me. I enjoy a challenge and this seems to be a good one, with positive rewards.

Beyond a few minor glitches, I beleive that almost anyone with a fair background in FTA satellite technology and a bit of electronic and computer skills can operate this box without troubles. It virtually handles all aspects for you, there are just a lot of menus to get through to do it.

I am sure that everyone also realizes that every box has it's own navigation method. The individual or the team that creates any menu system for any box or PC did so with their own agenda and ideals in mind, so none is the same. This is no big adventure, but a person does have to learn a few new avenues with any new device for that reason.

My final opinion of the AZBox is that it is an excellent machine! Just about anyone can set it up and navigate it and it isn't all that expensive. I have spent a lot more money on other devices and toys that disappointed me. I am not disappointed with this receiver in the least!

I may sound like an advertisement for this receiver, but I don't intend it to be that way. I am truly that enamured with it and I think that this receiver deserves the credit that it is due. They did a great job on this one!

RADAR

Thanks Radar & others for these updates about the AZBox. This seems like the ultimate FTA Machine. I hope to get one soon.

Babadem,

I don't intend to steer anyone to buy this receiver, but if you are looking for one with a PVR capability, I could recommend it. I don't recommend anything this explicitly unless I believe in it as much. And I do believe in this one.

RADAR

Babadem,

I don't intend to steer anyone to buy this receiver, but if you are looking for one with a PVR capability, I could recommend it. I don't recommend anything this explicitly unless I believe in it as much. And I do believe in this one.

RADAR

The AZBox Elite has PVR capability?

The AZBox Elite has PVR capability?

Yes, with an external hard drive .

Yes, and a Maxtor One Touch 750GB or 1TB USB drive works! I am using one on the AZBox Premium, but I see no reason that it would not operate with the Elite.

You need to have the AZBox delete any partitions and then re-format that drive as it sees fit. It will reformat it in a Linux OS style and with FAT32. Why FAT32 opposed to NTFS? I don't know the answer to that question. It may be a matter of convenience which outweighs the file size limitations.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)