AZbox Guide Stores Channels in Alphabetical Order, Can this Be Changed?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Scanned in 99.0W re my DISEqC1.2 setup and found my channel list really different. At first I was confused but then I figured it out. It seems the Azbox arranges ALL the Channels in Alphabetical order! So all 363 channels I have scanned in are arranged in alphabetical order, that is 97.0W's 274 channels are mixed in with 99.0W's Channels. Since I didn't know where all the channels were, I found the Dish constantly driving Back and forth from 99.0W to 97.0W. That's okay but it was a bit annoying.

My question: Is there a way to have the AzBox store the Channels on the Guide in a numbered block via each new Satellite scanned in rather than arrange them in Alphabetical Order?? The way I'm used to is say you scan in one Sat and get 200 channels, then the next Sat you scan in is from 201 to 250, so you know the 2nd Sat is from 201 to 250 but when its done alphabetically, all bets are off unless you know each channel very well!

When in that menu screen hit the yellow button on your remote.
You should know if you look near the top and you will see some different colors one for all, one for satellite, one for default.
I use default all the time.

Scanned in 99.0W re my DISEqC1.2 setup and found my channel list really different. At first I was confused but then I figured it out. It seems the Azbox arranges ALL the Channels in Alphabetical order! So all 363 channels I have scanned in are arranged in alphabetical order, that is 97.0W's 274 channels are mixed in with 99.0W's Channels. Since I didn't know where all the channels were, I found the Dish constantly driving Back and forth from 99.0W to 97.0W. That's okay but it was a bit annoying.

My question: Is there a way to have the AzBox store the Channels on the Guide in a numbered block via each new Satellite scanned in rather than arrange them in Alphabetical Order?? The way I'm used to is say you scan in one Sat and get 200 channels, then the next Sat you scan in is from 201 to 250, so you know the 2nd Sat is from 201 to 250 but when its done alphabetically, all bets are off unless you know each channel very well!

When in that menu screen hit the yellow button on your remote.
You should know if you look near the top and you will see some different colors one for all, one for satellite, one for default.
I use default all the time.

I must admit that I'm confuse both by the question and the answer.
Re the question, I'm confused relative to just which screen you are looking at? None of the screens I use on my Azbox list channels in alphabetical order, so I"m confused. You mention "guide", and I"m not sure why anyone would be using the guide button, but even that doesn't list anything in alpha mode for me.
Relative to the answer, I guess the same thing applies, Ie I'm not sure what you mean re "When in that menu screen", because I can't find any menu screen that is either in alphabetic mode, or does what you say when I hit the yellow button. So I assume there must be some screens that I'm not aware of (which has happened before, even though I've been using this receiver for about a year and a half.

I generally use the screen that pops up when you just hit the OK button when in TV mode. That generally comes up with a channel list ordered in the original order that the channels were scanned in, not alphabetic. Yes, channels from all sats are mixed together, but if you hit exit, it takes you to the top, where you can choose satellite, and then you only have channels from that one satellite. My main annoyance is that I wish there were a way to get it to stay on that sat when I do things like scan in a new channel, since it tends to revert back to "ALL" mode after doing any scan, but that's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I'm confused about just what menu window is being discussed here????

when viewing a program or have the az box on hit the "OK" button.
The channel guide comes on listing all your channels.
while in this section if you hit the Red button on your remote (SUB-T) it will list all the channels by alphabet.
If you hit the green button on your remote (text) the channels will list by satellite.
If you hit the Yellow button on your remote(LANG) the listing returns to default.
Sorry, last night I was not in front of the receiver.

when viewing a program or have the az box on hit the "OK" button.
The channel guide comes on listing all your channels.
while in this section if you hit the Red button on your remote (SUB-T) it will list all the channels by alphabet.
If you hit the green button on your remote (text) the channels will list by satellite.
If you hit the Yellow button on your remote(LANG) the listing returns to default.
Sorry, last night I was not in front of the receiver.

OH, OK. So we're talking about the same menu (which is different from the "guide"). It also explains why the yellow button didn't do anything for me, because I was already AT the default.

I never noticed the red button changing it to alphabetic. That could be handy at times.

When I saw what you wrote above, about hitting green button to order by satellite, that sounded like it would be REAL handy for me, since to do that, I have to hit exit to go up to ALL, then tab over to Satellite, then down into the sat list, and choose the satellite, so a one button alternative seemed like a better alternative.
However it didn't do that for me. I had started typing here that I couldn't really figure out at all just WHAT it WAS doing, but then I looked at the bottom of the screen and it told me. Turns out that the green button on MY firmware orders the channels according to "Frequency"!?!?! At least this particular time I hit the button, because it seemed to give me different results different times I used it, but perhaps that had something to do with what channel I had highlighted at the time.
But anyway, I'm running 0.9.4931 . I'm curious what firmware version gives the satellite ordering for that green button? If it's a newer version, that might make it worthwhile to upgrade, because that would save me a lot of keystrokes.

Thanks Stargaze and B.J. Yes after posting the question I did a page by page search in the 158 page PDF AZBox Manual and found the info I needed on page 85 -"How to sort the channels" and I pressed the ORANGE default button on the Remote, and there it was Satellites sorted by number of Channels scanned in. Sorry I didn't post back but by that time it was 4:00 AM. That alphabetical List (which is selected via the RED Button) was selected with the setup that came with my AZbox, and I thought was causing problems previously, but when left in Alphabetical Format it re arranges everything on the Channel List (not the Guide as I noted) as soon as any NEW Tp's and channels are scanned in. Oh yeah B.J. my Firmware is I think the latest 0.9.5020. And the options on page 85 are Alphabet - Red, Frequency - Green, & Default - Orange.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)