AZBOX Azbox Minime v1.86 issues

kimmykim

Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Canada
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my minime. If I leave my stb on over night it gets very slow in the morning or freezes. Now It will not boot and just stays on Azbox Starting. I have tried unplugging the power and ethernet for several minutes with no joy. I tried the safe mode but when I try to update from internet it complains that it cannot find version, whatever that means. Not sure what to do. I have always had random freezes or glitches or a grey bar on the bottom of the screen but now it will not boot.

This box is great with the 4.2.2 and such but it is not very stable. I could not even get youtube to work.

Only had the box for weeks feeling a little burnt shelling out $229 for a box that isnt stable. Perhaps Im the only one and there is some sort of hardward issue.

Anyone know how to get it to boot?

I have exactly the same, try pulling the power cord for about 30 secs and try again, you may have to do this several times to get to boot back up. Not good at all. I have all but given up with this box now in favour of the Alien 3, 422 streams no problem to the PC.
I think a new release of firmware is called for from Azbox Canada??

I have exactly the same, try pulling the power cord for about 30 secs and try again, you may have to do this several times to get to boot back up. Not good at all. I have all but given up with this box now in favour of the Alien 3, 422 streams no problem to the PC.
I think a new release of firmware is called for from Azbox Canada??

Thank you. Took 5-7 tries. I was going to give up but gave it one more try.

I totally agree that an update is needed. I would hope they would address this. This product has a lot of potential but I would consider it beta with all the stability issues.

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my minime. If I leave my stb on over night it gets very slow in the morning or freezes. Now It will not boot and just stays on Azbox Starting. I have tried unplugging the power and ethernet for several minutes with no joy. I tried the safe mode but when I try to update from internet it complains that it cannot find version, whatever that means. Not sure what to do. I have always had random freezes or glitches or a grey bar on the bottom of the screen but now it will not boot.

This box is great with the 4.2.2 and such but it is not very stable. I could not even get youtube to work.

Only had the box for weeks feeling a little burnt shelling out $229 for a box that isnt stable. Perhaps Im the only one and there is some sort of hardward issue.

Anyone know how to get it to boot?

We are working on a new firmware update as we speak which should be released within the next week or so in order to improve stability and performance. The Youtube player is currently not working due to recent changes that Youtube made on their site but this has already been fixed on our current development version and will be included in the next firmware update. Safe Mode is just meant to allow the user to recover the receiver by reinstalling firmware from a USB drive or perform advanced diagnostics should it fail to boot similar to Safe Mode on a Windows PC so it should not be used for normal operation of the receiver.

Please be advised that we were able to reproduce the issue you described a while back so there is nothing wrong with your hardware. Stability issues will be fully resolved once we migrate from the 3.5.5 to the 3.9.2 kernel which will happen before the end of this year.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Last edited:
I totally agree that an update is needed. I would hope they would address this. This product has a lot of potential but I would consider it beta with all the stability issues.

Thank you for your feedback and yes, we agree that the AzBox miniMe American Edition has lots of potential. Unfortunately, there is no perfect FTA receiver out there as every single model out there has it's own unique issues.

What's important however is continued support from the distributor by releasing new firmware updates in order to fix issues, improve general operation and even add new features. As we are one of the few true FTA receiver distributors out there with firmware development based in North America rather than overseas, it is much easier for us to design a product meeting the unique requirements for FTA satellite reception in this continent.

Last edited:
We are working on a new firmware update as we speak which should be released within the next week or so in order to improve stability and performance. The Youtube player is currently not working due to recent changes that Youtube made on their site but this has already been fixed on our current development version and will be included in the next firmware update. Safe Mode is just meant to allow the user to recover the receiver by reinstalling firmware from a USB drive or perform advanced diagnostics should it fail to boot similar to Safe Mode on a Windows PC so it should not be used for normal operation of the receiver.

Please be advised that we were able to reproduce the issue you described a while back so there is nothing wrong with your hardware. Stability issues will be fully resolved once we migrate from the 3.5.5 to the 3.9.2 kernel which will happen before the end of this year.

Hello and model AZBox Me? for when the Firm? Forgotten

Hmmmm, This box has nearly been for 2 years and you really should have sorted basic stability issues out by now. I still cannot understand why you are using Kernel 3.5.5, this was abandoned well over a year ago as unstable.

Hello and model AZBox Me? for when the Firm? Forgotten

Certainly not forgotten and as promised, we will release it first. Our apologies for the delay. Development productivity during the summer months tends to be lower than average as everyone takes a few weeks vacation during this time period.

The main issue of the blindscan freezing has now been resolved so there's only a few more smaller things to fix. Once that's done, we can then have our QA test it for a few days to ensure it operates as it should before it gets released.

Thanks for the reply. Great news about the upcoming firmware update.

Certainly not forgotten and as promised, we will release it first. Our apologies for the delay. Development productivity during the summer months tends to be lower than average as everyone takes a few weeks vacation during this time period.

The main issue of the blindscan freezing has now been resolved so there's only a few more smaller things to fix. Once that's done, we can then have our QA test it for a few days to ensure it operates as it should before it gets released.

Thanks pwrsurge for the reply.

Today I have a azbox minime and yet I do not see a new Firmware.???????????
is happening with the team AZBox canada?

Today I have a azbox minime and yet I do not see a new Firmware.???????????
is happening with the team AZBox canada?

Yesterday I got my AzBox mini Me and I have the problem with the freezing now it will not boot up at all. I had traded my GeoMicroHD in for this box because of the 4:2:2. Now, I am stuck with nothing and from what I see from this thread is that a firmware release is way over do. I cannot even boot into safe mode and the unit it completely unresponsive so I don't know was a firmware release will do. You guys should hold off on selling these units to the public until these major issues are dealt with.

I can always boot into safe mode. Try pressing the power button, hold it till the blue light flashes around 15 times, then release it. If it hangs on the splash screen, then try again Usually takes 30 minutes or more for mine to boot if it's been on standby.

Catamount

Yesterday I got my AzBox mini Me and I have the problem with the freezing now it will not boot up at all. I had traded my GeoMicroHD in for this box because of the 4:2:2. Now, I am stuck with nothing and from what I see from this thread is that a firmware release is way over do. I cannot even boot into safe mode and the unit it completely unresponsive so I don't know was a firmware release will do.

Please unplug the power cord from your unit for at least 1 minute and then try booting again. If you have an ethernet cable plugged in, you may have to unplug it as well since some power is also being delivered from your router via the ethernet cable. Doing this forcefully clears the working memory (i.e. ram) chips and re-initializes the tuner which should resolve the booting issue you are having.

An enhanced ram chip and tuner initialization routine will be included in a soon to be released firmware update in order to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited:
Usually takes 30 minutes or more for mine to boot if it's been on standby.

Should not ever take 30 minutes for the unit to bootup. As described above, the best way to get it booting again is to unplug the power cord for 1 minute. We are well aware of this issue and resolving it is one of our priority items.

AzBox Me firmware is now in the regression testing phase so it should be released within 1 week from now assuming no major new bugs are found.

AzBox miniMe development is progressing very well and our current dev firmware has significant performance enhancements such as quicker & more reliable channel switching along with a fixed Youtube player among other things. There's still a bit more work to do but we expect to release a new AzBox miniMe American Edition firmware before the end of October.

Reactions: lilo74
I just purchased the AzBox Mini Me American edition and am also experiencing these countless problems. When can we expect a firmware fix (it is now mid December)? Or should I just return the unit as defective. There is lots to love about it, if the bugs were fixed! I am willing to beta test the new firmware if that helps. Anything has got to be an improvement at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)