B-Converter location question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
499 Update

Thanks for directing me to channel 499. It appears as though the BBC are working where I have them (attached to the output of the 616.) I guess the real test will come in a few months.

Thanks again

A new member here..... did a bit of searching and came up with this thread but it seems the "final" answer was not resolved as the BBC's were not really being used at the time.

I just received a HR-22 with the two BBCs and want to see if it is possible to locate the BBCs elsewhere rather than directly behind the receiver.

I have a setup where the 4 cables from the Slimline dish (not sure which one, but it has 4 LNBs - I guess as there is "room" for two more on one side - and 4 wires come out) run from outside, through my attic and down into my basement to a patch panel where I patch out to the various rooms. Would it be possible to locate these BBC's at the patch panel, or do they have to be located at the back of the receiver?

On a related topic, I'm now maxed out with the 4 outputs (1 DVR, 2 receivers). I am keeping my old SD DVR and if I decide to hook it up with two inputs I will need a multi-switch. I do have a older 4-way satellite multi-switch that I used to use with my old 2-output LNB to feed three receivers. Could I use this to input two of the dish outputs and then feed one DVR & one receiver (and use the other two outputs from the dish to the other DVR)? If so, how do I determine which of the cables need to go to the dish (to get one of each voltage offset).

thanks in advance..

The BBCs can be located away from the receiver if you wish. They should not be used outdoors, however.

If all of the receivers other than your HR22 are SD instead of HD, you could use your multiswitch with two of the cables. It doesn't matter which cables you connect, they all come from a multiswitch which is built into the dish. If any of them are HD, you will need to get a WB68 multiswitch.

A new member here..... did a bit of searching and came up with this thread but it seems the "final" answer was not resolved as the BBC's were not really being used at the time.

I just received a HR-22 with the two BBCs and want to see if it is possible to locate the BBCs elsewhere rather than directly behind the receiver.

I have a setup where the 4 cables from the Slimline dish (not sure which one, but it has 4 LNBs - I guess as there is "room" for two more on one side - and 4 wires come out) run from outside, through my attic and down into my basement to a patch panel where I patch out to the various rooms. Would it be possible to locate these BBC's at the patch panel, or do they have to be located at the back of the receiver?
Yes, you could locate them at the patch panel provided you have barrel connectors that are rated to 3GHz to connect the BBC's to the cables going to your receiver.

(On a side note, if you have the slimline dish it is a 5 LNB setup. The LNB in line with the arm actually sees 3 sats that are within a couple of degrees of each other. The reason that it looks like there is room for additional LNBs is that to peak the 99/103 sats, it's essential to point the dish at the 101 orbital slot. By doing that, you have to offest the 110 and 119 LNB's to receive a signal. Rather than having an 'L' shaped LNB assembly, D* chose to go with the 'T" assembly as more astecially pleasing but that last part is just my opinion.)

On a related topic, I'm now maxed out with the 4 outputs (1 DVR, 2 receivers). I am keeping my old SD DVR and if I decide to hook it up with two inputs I will need a multi-switch. I do have a older 4-way satellite multi-switch that I used to use with my old 2-output LNB to feed three receivers. Could I use this to input two of the dish outputs and then feed one DVR & one receiver (and use the other two outputs from the dish to the other DVR)? If so, how do I determine which of the cables need to go to the dish (to get one of each voltage offset).

thanks in advance..
No, you will need a wide band capable multiswitch like the Zinwell WB68

thanks Bob / iwc5893 for the quick response - I'll check into the Zinwell WB68

I'll have to check the barrell connectors in my panel - have no idea what they are rated for - can just swap those out.... a better question is what the Leviton wall-plate connectors are rated for - I guess I'll find out :)

Thanks for directing me to channel 499. It appears as though the BBC are working where I have them (attached to the output of the 616.) I guess the real test will come in a few months.

Thanks again

You can install B Band converters at the switch. Directv recommends them at the receiver, however. Also, if you are placing the converter(s) at the switch, a simpler way to do it is to take the plastic housing off the converter, and remove the pig tail on the output side of the converter. I always take a black sharpie pen and draw an arrow on the actual converter, so I remember which direction it goes. You will need a pigtail from the switch to the input of the converter, then just connect the receiver cable to output, where you removed the pigtail. This will eliminate the barrel connection, and take up less room.

One other thing I have noticed, if you locate the converters at the patch panel, then you can use diplexers after the converter. If you try to use a diplexer before the converter (converter on the back of the receiver), you will lose hd channels.

Most barrel connectors are probably rated for 1 GHz, which is adequate for cable TV. The higher-frequency rated barrels have blue insulation. I have yet to see a common (white insulation) barrel which doesn't work for me with Directv, but it could happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts