Back in The US

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pedrogarcia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Kalamazoo / Limassol
I'm back Stateside and couldn't wait to get started on setting up my dish farm. So found an old Hughes network 50 cm dish modded it with a universal LNB and tried it on AMC9 then Galaxy18 - failed, reasonable signal but no quality. Luckily I have a Satlook NIT so not too much time wasted. At least I got the cable and switches in place. Not bad for 2 days, now to get some proper dishes.
Pix of dish mod below

Attachments

• IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 138
I'm back Stateside and couldn't wait to get started on setting up my dish farm. So found an old Hughes network 50 cm dish modded it with a universal LNB and tried it on AMC9 then Galaxy18 - failed, reasonable signal but no quality. Luckily I have a Satlook NIT so not too much time wasted. At least I got the cable and switches in place. Not bad for 2 days, now to get some proper dishes.
Pix of dish mod below

:welcome BACK TO THE STATES pedrogarcia!!

My My, Nice Pictures Of That 50! GREAT MOD!!

Hopefully the weather will hold out for that project for you to get it tweaked up! Let is know how it goes pedrogarcia, interesting to see that BIS!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

nice rig job!

I know on the pizza dishes skew is VERY critical. I have been able to get the really strong stuff with a 18" dish like CCTV, ONN & Doc Scott (when he was on G26)

Yea, I remember you saying you were going to bring back a bundle of coax, as it's cheaper there than here.
I'd have suggested you get some conical scalars, but just today, one of the American suppliers announced one on the forum.

Somewhere Iceberg has a thread with all the little-dish birds you can get on linear FTA.
That's what once inspired me to shoot for WhiteSprings on one.

Looking forward to your next big install!
You know the drill: pictures!

Speaking of which, did you bring back any interesting Euro dish pictures?
Some strange rooftops that got your attention?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll keep you updated on the farm. Looks like I'm going down I94 to Patriot if they can come up with a good deal on dishes. Even if they are a bit on the pricey side I can save a bundle on the shipping.

@Iceburg. I got the skew within a 2/3 degrees but I could not even lock a signal on 83 to adjust it finally. On 123 I know I was on the sat as I got the channel list data on the spectrum analyser but quality was almost zero. Have just seen on the forum that RTN may have been down while I was aligning the dish on 83 so will have another go tomorrow if I can find enough coats to wear. I'd forgetten how cold it can get. MTA and Florida Channels locked ok on 87 though.

@Anole. Strange you should mention conical scalaras, a wholesaler I use in Dubai has WS KU2c kits (ring and 65mm holder) at 90dhs about $30 in his catalogue but I'm not into C band, yet, (I guess it is just a matter of time). I'm sure he would ship them if that's a reasonable price.

@ dunnsept. when is the road trip???

haven't planned the exact day yet. I wrote the salesman asking about how long they would have their 12meter dish on display but havent heard back yet.

I have the prices (somewhere) on a 90cm and a 1.2M dish. prices were pretty good.
Once I hear back from the salesman I'll post about it.
maybe next friday or something

Dish farm update

Back a month now and the dish farm has started. So far 74w, 97w,101w, 123w,125w,129w up and running. Need to get a circ lnb for Nasa on 119w and a larger dish for RTN and C band.
Pixs below.
The 3 LNB bracket is great and I have not seen them here in the US so if anyone knows where they are available please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2899.JPG
    IMG_2899.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 124
That hardware is interesting.

LNB arms on the dishes appear to hinge toward the dish, possibly for shipping purposes. Who is the manufacturer?

You can get three LNB brackets here but not like those. The sort of multi brackets in the attachment are common here. (ebay mostly) I don't care for them.

Here are others...
satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_cat=433

I am interested in hearing about off shore satellite resellers with whom satellite guys like you have had good dealings. You never know if some retailer picked out of a google search is going to be dodgy or not...

Often shipping charges will be prohibitive, but sometimes one can learn about things that way.

Attachments

• multi.jpg
    multi.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 77
My dishes are from Patriot at Albion, they call them 90 cm dishes but they actually measure 1m x 90cms and yes they come flat packed with the arm hinged. manufacture quality is really good, and they are made in the US. You can collect if you are near enough but phone in advance. I found dish shipping to be really expensive so it was a no contest as I'm only 40 minutes from them.
That euro LNB arm I have used for years, I could kick myself for not bringing more with me, they cost around $8 retail so I'm about to contact my supplier to find a cost to the states.

did a little reading on lyngsat

g18 in you area needs a 50 to 60 cm dish to opperate, so your in the treshhold

amc9 needs a 50 to 60 cm also

i would invest in a 90 cm dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts