Back on C band after 15 years What about the LNB and feed horn?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Back in the mid 90's I had a 6' mesh and some others I played around with.
I picked up a 5' like 5 or 6 years ago. Need to find the photos.
I tossed it up tonight and now have some stuff off 99W

As you can see from the photos I have a rotor on this BUT no way to drive it.
How do I get rid of the rotor or do I need a new feed horn or parts of one?
The dish at night is what I did tonight, the one in the day is from when I picked it up.

Thanks

Attachments

• 5footdish.jpg
    5footdish.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 258
  • P1120213.JPG
    P1120213.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 237
  • P1120212.JPG
    P1120212.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 231
  • P1120211.JPG
    P1120211.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 254
Being an Az-El mount, the servo feed horn is probably the most convenient. A servo driver, that you'd have to calibrate, would do the job of changing the skew?polarity. Google search: servo driver
Just a warning: Today, with 2° satellite spacing, you may have trouble getting some TP's because of adjacent satellite interference. So be on the lookout, you'll probably want a bigger one shortly. Some can still be found "in the wild" for little or nothing. In the meantime, Have fun, & welcome back to C band.

But if he leaves the old LNB w/the need to have two extra wires on the feedline coax, he'll spend more on the line out to the dish because he will be forced to get a 7 wire settup? Why not just replace the LNB and all he needs is a coax? Unless the fixed elev az settup is to be replaced with a actuator for a polar mount, ... which means he will have to spend $$ for a polar mount... :D. Nevermind, I'm confusing myself...

It looks like fine mesh on it. Maybe fine enough to get Ku transmissions also.

If so, I might consider like a 741 C/Ku voltage controlled lnb. You could avoid all that polarotor stuff

I think Sadoun has it. Just Google it.

That type of lnb is difficult to get aimed just right, but when you get it, they work well. A big advantage is that you only need one cable to it and they switch via diseqc and 22 khz settings, which most receivers have.

Good question? I have both and I can get maybe a little(and I mean little) bit more out of a BSC, that is on an 8' dish, but not enough to make much difference, YMMV.

I have only used the BSC universal. When it was adjusted right it did pretty good. People have been saying that the 741 is a little better.

I also have a ring and feed horn that has both a C and Ku mounts. It also has a rotor on it.

So my next question is would the 741 be a good choice?
should I update the LNB on the horn I have?
Maybe just go get a ESX241?

What would give the most quality on the 5'

Thanks

So my next question is would the 741 be a good choice?
should I update the LNB on the horn I have?
Maybe just go get a ESX241?

I would go with a C/Ku lnbf or separate C band & Ku band lnbfs before I would upgrade a lnb. The really decent performance and control simplicity with todays receivers are a plus. Adding a dedicated Ku dish and multi output lnbfs (Like the ESX242 & ESX522 or whatever) will give you more options for using more than one receiver. Ice buildup is usually a problem in the winter for me and that knocks the Ku out often on my 10 footer so I put up a 1M for Ku.

The C/Ku lnbfs like the 741 are great on C band and a little touchy for setting up Ku band.

Last edited:
I found this feed horn on a 8 or 10' dish that was sitting next to a building years ago.
It appeared to have pulled down and was not worth saving. :(
The feed horn was as I remember noting when it pulled it both C and Ku so out came the tools. :)

This and the orig feed horn on the 5' are both Chaparral brand with a 25 deg C band California amp LNB along with a 0.9 deg Ku California amp LNB.

Both work BUT I was having problems with the made in USA servo. I put the made in Taiwan servo on it.
After moving the USA one by hand a little bit and running a few times it seems to work now to. It makes a bit more noise than the Taiwan one.

The orig 5' has a 20 deg C band California amp LNB.

It's nice to put all this stuff to use now.
I do plan on getting some other LNBs soon.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Attachments

• P1120221.JPG
    P1120221.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 190
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts