Backed up to EHD, then trying to restore to replacement Hopper

dlmcmurr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Tennessee
Spent over 24 hours backing up a 2/3 full Hopper (w/o sling) to two different EHDs. Now trying to restore them to the replacement Hopper, I get an error #855 -- An error occurred transferring your file. I've tried both EHDs and two different USB ports. I've removed power from the Hopper. I'm only trying to xfer one file at a time and have tried different files. They always run to completion before I get the error, with the time remaining counting down normally.

As a test, I recorded 15 minutes of a program on the replacement Hopper, then xferred it to the EHD, then successfully xferred it back to the replacement Hopper. I can also watch a program off the EHD that was recorded on the old Hopper on the replacement Hopper. Also the replacement Hopper is showing v.440, same as the old Hopper. I did notice that after I restored the data from the remote (the timers and settings), the v.440 line picked up the date my old Hopper was updated i.e. 6/25/2014.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wait until tomorrow and try again? That will cost me spousal approval points, but nothing like not being able to restore these 400+ recordings.

Thanks, Dave

Also, when transfering back, make sure that you are doing them in blocks. Large transfers will make the hopper screw up.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I was suspecting it might just be a day or so before the restores would work, but wanted to hear some confirmation of that. I was pleased that it updated to v.440 as soon as it powered up, though. One thing that bothered me is that after applying v.440, it checked again for updates, hung for 15 minutes with no progress, then tried to authorize my account, then gave up and told me to call them on the phone. While I was applying the folder names that got lost when I restored my timer list, it crashed once. Still had the same problem with scrolling down the Rentals list. Usually no matter how slowly I scroll, the viewer will crash and either (1) exit to live TV, (2) continue to show live TV in the PIP window with the remainder of the screen black until I power down and back up with the power button, or (3) worst case, continue to show live TV in the PIP window with the remainder of the screen black and not respond to anything including the red reset on the front panel, requiring a plug pull to reset it. This time it gave me the third response, of course.

Thanks again,
Dave

There is no need to transfer the recordings back to the internal drive. You can play them back directly from the EHD. Transferring recordings back to the internal drive has been problematic, quirky, and time consuming for a lot of folks (as you just found out).

Reactions: charlesrshell
There is no need to transfer the recordings back to the internal drive. You can play them back directly from the EHD. Transferring recordings back to the internal drive has been problematic, quirky, and time consuming for a lot of folks (as you just found out).
The only reason to transfer back to the internal drive is if you are interested in watching that program via DishAnywhere. DishAnywhere does not see EHDs on Hoppers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The only reason to transfer back to the internal drive is if you are interested in watching that program via DishAnywhere. DishAnywhere does not see EHDs on Hoppers.
After three-and-a-half years, I would hope that the OP is not still unsuccessfully trying to transfer those recordings back to the internal drive of the replacement Hopper. :)

D'oh! I never thought to look at the date on the original post because the previous post to mine was from today. :facepalm
I wish Scott could come up with a way to stop postings to OLD threads by the time the thread is a year old the industry has changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)