backing up DVR internal drive

ckeays

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
New York, USA
I have a Dish DVR 512 receiver. I have another drive that is EXACTLY like the one in my 512. (same model number to the last digit)

I want to back up (or clone) my drive so I have another one in case the drive craps out.
There are no recorded events on the drive yet, I just want another drive married to my receiver in case the original one dies.

Is there any specific software to use? I tried acronis true image but the cloned drive did not work in my receiver.

A cloned sector-by-sector copy should have worked. I'm playing with Easus Disk Copy right now (but with Windows disks). Don't know if that will work better than Acronis, but maybe.

A cloned sector-by-sector copy should have worked. I'm playing with Easus Disk Copy right now (but with Windows disks). Don't know if that will work better than Acronis, but maybe.
I am not sure that i used acronis correctly. trouble is, it takes a very long time for the process.
I have an older version I am going to try tomorrow.

IF you are willing to void any warranty AND you own it AND disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer.....

Then run the interior connector to an exterior RAID 1 hardware based array. Then you have two copies, invisible to the receiver. If you have some programs on a disk already, slide it into one of the (presumably) two slots with a similar HDD in the other. Wait overnight. You will have your two identical HDDs. And all future recordings will duplicate too. Not the cheapest solution but it will likely work. At some small decrease in speed, probably not material as a "internal" vice external USB drive.

IF you are willing to void any warranty AND you own it AND disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer.....

Then run the interior connector to an exterior RAID 1 hardware based array. Then you have two copies, invisible to the receiver. If you have some programs on a disk already, slide it into one of the (presumably) two slots with a similar HDD in the other. Wait overnight. You will have your two identical HDDs. And all future recordings will duplicate too. Not the cheapest solution but it will likely work. At some small decrease in speed, probably not material as a "internal" vice external USB drive.
Don't the receivers have an approved list of drive models baked in, not on the list and they won't work?

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts